• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

I'm not so sure.  I'd definitely take Creighton and San Diego State over UNC.  Illinois and Notre Dame aren't much to write home about, but then neither is UNC, save for the fact that they made the conference final (which is more than Duke can say, granted).

I really like how UNC has improved lately, but unfortunately the committee looks at the whole season. If they had been playing at this level when they faced Texas, Indiana, etc., maybe things would have been different.

It's funny to me how some people will say, "oh, but they made a great run at the end of the season/in the conf. tourney, that's gotta count for something", when in reality the selection people seem to always weigh non-conference, early-season play so much. This is how a team like St. Mary's will get an at-large bid and a team like Maryland (who beat Duke TWICE) will get snubbed.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like how UNC has improved lately, but unfortunately the committee looks at the whole season. If they had been playing at this level when they faced Texas, Indiana, etc., maybe things would have been different.

It's funny to me how some people will say, "oh, but they made a great run at the end of the season/in the conf. tourney, that's gotta count for something", when in reality the selection people seem to always weigh non-conference, early-season play so much. This is how a team like St. Mary's will get an at-large bid and a team like Maryland (who beat Duke TWICE) will get snubbed.

You do know that I'm a Duke fan, right?  Far be it from me to defend UNC in any way, but I was trying to put on my objective glasses for a minute, in order to appease Brick.

I love the fact that so many non-power-conference schools got at-large bids.  The Mountain West got 5 teams in and the ACC could only manage 4?!  The SEC limped across the finish line with 3?!  These smaller schools are playing the tough non-conference schedules and they are being rewarded.  I'd much rather see a La Salle or a Boise State in the Big Dance than a Maryland, Virginia, Kentucky, Alabama, or Tennessee.  Nothing against those schools, in particular, but it's much more fun to root for the little guy, unless you happen to already be a fan of the big guy opponent.

If Duke can't win it all, then I'll pull for any school not from the ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12, or Big East.

They start out playing a team with 13 losses.  How much do you want?

I want UNC to play in the region where all the players and fans in attendance get milk and cookies before each game. I want them to face the Washington Generals in a down-to-the-wire Elite 8 matchup where Dexter Strickland scores the game-winning bucket by bouncing the ball off the defending guard's head. I want P.J. Hairston to get a Luke Skywalker-style robotic arm and Marcus Paige to get a pony. I want Roy to burn that godawful used cart salesman jacket he was wearing at the ACC finals.

Yeah, that's fair, I think.

You do know that I'm a Duke fan, right?  Far be it from me to defend UNC in any way, but I was trying to put on my objective glasses for a minute, in order to appease Brick.

I love the fact that so many non-power-conference schools got at-large bids.  The Mountain West got 5 teams in and the ACC could only manage 4?!  The SEC limped across the finish line with 3?!  These smaller schools are playing the tough non-conference schedules and they are being rewarded.  I'd much rather see a La Salle or a Boise State in the Big Dance than a Maryland, Virginia, Kentucky, Alabama, or Tennessee.  Nothing against those schools, in particular, but it's much more fun to root for the little guy, unless you happen to already be a fan of the big guy opponent.

If Duke can't win it all, then I'll pull for any school not from the ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12, or Big East.

Oh, I'm not saying that the little guys don't deserve to be there. Not at all. Actually, I have a lot more fun watching Butler and VCU than I do some traditional powerhouses like Indiana or whoever.

It's a balancing act, though, you're never going to have everyone happy with the field and there will always be deserving teams who get left out. I mentioned Maryland because that's the only team that I'm upset was completely snubbed this year. I suppose that I'm biased because I've seen them play, but there you are.

It's pretty sad that dookies can't be objectionable for five seconds, although it is to be expected. Carolina got screwed. Not only Carolina, but the entirety of the ACC got screwed.

Maryland and UVA got snubbed by the likes of La Salle. Dook (although I think it is awesome) has to face MSU and Louisville, neither of which they will likely beat. NCST, although they kinda backed themselves into it, will have to face IU in the second round if they win their first game. Miami should have been a #1 seed, although their region is fairly easy for them as a #2 seed.

No way should Gonzaga be a number #1 seed over someone like Miami and their resume, winning the ACC outright and the tournament. Had Carolina or dook done either of these things, they would have gotten the #1 seed over Gonzaga.

It's pretty sad that dookies can't be objectionable for five seconds, although it is to be expected. Carolina got screwed. Not only Carolina, but the entirety of the ACC got screwed.

Maryland and UVA got snubbed by the likes of La Salle. Dook (although I think it is awesome) has to face MSU and Louisville, neither of which they will likely beat. NCST, although they kinda backed themselves into it, will have to face IU in the second round if they win their first game. Miami should have been a #1 seed, although their region is fairly easy for them as a #2 seed.

No way should Gonzaga be a number #1 seed over someone like Miami and their resume, winning the ACC outright and the tournament. Had Carolina or dook done either of these things, they would have gotten the #1 seed over Gonzaga.

Truth spoken, Miami was very impressive this year.  I am a heels fan and I really don't think we got snubbed.  It is what is.  If we are the best team in the country and deserve to win the national championship we should be able to beat any team placed in front of us regardless of seed.  Isn't that what the tourny is all about?

They were talking about this during some ESPN analysis/argument I was watching. Actually, it was hard to tell what point any of those guys had for the most part, but it sounded like they were trying to say that Gonzaga got the #1 seed over The U at least in part because Gonzaga "only" lost to the likes of Illinois and Butler whereas Miami lost to Florida Gulf Coast (who won their conference, BTW), therefore they had a "worse" non-conference loss.

I'm not a big fan of Miami in general, but I have a lot of respect for what they've done this year. The ACC was not unbelieveably outstanding this year, but it's by no means an easy conference in which to rise from dead last to first (and tourney champ) over the course of a few seasons.

1.  I'm pretty sure you would think anything written by a Duke fan was objectionable, so you're wrong there.  But, perhaps you meant to say that we couldn't be objective.  In fact, I thought I was quite generous with my comments earlier concerning UNC.  You deserve to be in the field, but I don't think you can make a claim to a much higher seed, nor am I advocating that Duke should have been a one-seed.

2.  Maryland and Virginia did not get snubbed.  Win more games.  Schedule somebody worth playing during non-conference play:  Maryland had the 305th toughest non-conference schedule, and Virginia did so much better with the 303rd toughest non-conference schedule!  Wow!  Tough teams out there, huh?  By contrast, La Salle had the 102nd toughest non-conference schedule.  You can't do much about the teams in your own league, but you sure can pick some better opponents outside your league.  I think the selection committee sent that message loud and clear this year.  Oh, and you can also check their RPI numbers:  La-Salle (46) trounced Maryland (70) and Virginia (75) once again.

3.  Don't complain about seeding in the tournament.  Be glad your team got in.  You don't hear Boise State complaining.  They are thrilled to be there.  The only teams you hear complaining are the old "Blue Bloods:"  those teams that think they deserve to be in the tournament every year because of the name on the front of the jersey, and they always think they should be seeded higher.  Ask Kentucky fans how they feel right now!

4.  I love the NCAA basketball tournament!!  Let's get this party started...

MSU has lost 4 of its last 7 coming into the tourny and Duke has beaten Lville once this year though without their starting center but to say its likely either will beat Duke is just wrong. In fact it would be the other way around in the MSU game and a draw on Lville I would think, it really comes down to who has the best game plan and who has a best night. I think Duke would take 7 out of 10 against MSU and be 5/5 with Lville so I just hope it gets to the point where I have to worry about the Duke/Lville game lol.

1. I'm pretty sure you would think anything written by a Duke fan was objectionable, so you're wrong there. But, perhaps you meant to say that we couldn't be objective. In fact, I thought I was quite generous with my comments earlier concerning UNC. You deserve to be in the field, but I don't think you can make a claim to a much higher seed, nor am I advocating that Duke should have been a one-seed.

2. Maryland and Virginia did not get snubbed. Win more games. Schedule somebody worth playing during non-conference play: Maryland had the 305th toughest non-conference schedule, and Virginia did so much better with the 303rd toughest non-conference schedule! Wow! Tough teams out there, huh? By contrast, La Salle had the 102nd toughest non-conference schedule. You can't do much about the teams in your own league, but you sure can pick some better opponents outside your league. I think the selection committee sent that message loud and clear this year. Oh, and you can also check their RPI numbers: La-Salle (46) trounced Maryland (70) and Virginia (75) once again.

3. Don't complain about seeding in the tournament. Be glad your team got in. You don't hear Boise State complaining. They are thrilled to be there. The only teams you hear complaining are the old "Blue Bloods:" those teams that think they deserve to be in the tournament every year because of the name on the front of the jersey, and they always think they should be seeded higher. Ask Kentucky fans how they feel right now!

4. I love the NCAA basketball tournament!! Let's get this party started...

It seems like there is quite a bit of a divide over this. Jay Bilas is of the opinion that UVA and maybe Maryland should have gotten in over some teams from the A-10 while others think it is the correct decision.

They claim they look a lot at numbers and that is shown through UVA and UMD not getting in. However, Carolina and dook's numbers suggest they should have been seeded better, oh the hypocrisy of the committee.

If we beat Villanova and get the chance to play Kansas, it would be really nice to knock them off at what is basically a home game for them. So I am a little excited!

and... back OT

Massive fire at Black Bear Ridge Resort and Trappers Ridge in Pigeon Forge, TN. Started at 4:00pm yesterday. 35 cabins burned and the fire is not under control.

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/260315/2/Massive-Pigeon-Forge-fire-damages-at-least-35-cabins

https://twitter.com/Queeter_Gabriel/status/313468913436471296/photo/1

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10200814392991826

and... back OT

Massive fire at Black Bear Ridge Resort and Trappers Ridge in Pigeon Forge, TN. Started at 4:00pm yesterday. 35 cabins burned and the fire is not under control.

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/260315/2/Massive-Pigeon-Forge-fire-damages-at-least-35-cabins

https://twitter.com/Queeter_Gabriel/status/313468913436471296/photo/1

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10200814392991826

This is on TWC now.

I love this time of year...so much whining about who got screwed and who got snubbed and all that. You can make an "objective" case in either direction about who got seeded where, and why or who got in and who got left out and why.

At the end of the day, there is probably no conspiracy against the ACC or UNC or UM or anyone else. If you want to be seeded higher, play better during the season.

Same goes for my fellow Pack fans, griping about officiating. Just hit more shots and guess what...you'll win more games.

UNC, if they shoot like they did for most of the game yesterday, can make a deep run in the tourney and is more than capable of beating KS.

Duke should win two or three games and State will win one, most likely. We constantly screw ourselves by not showing up for 40 minutes, or even 20 minutes sometimes.

Oh come on, griping about the brackets is at least the second most fun thing to do with them :P

The most fun thing being picking them. Which, given how chaotic it's sure to be, I plan on doing using this quality website this year:

http://www.pickmybracket.com/

We usually do a bracket at my work, but nobody's owning it, so I don't think we're going to do one. That's kinda alright with me. This year is going to be especially tough. There are a lot of teams that win the whole thing. I wouldn't sleep on Miami. They have the talent to beat anyone. If I was doing a bracket, I'd probably pick them.

Archived