• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

Here's my dark Irene video. I drove down to Beaufort and waited for it to come in.  Spent the night in the center of a parking lot away from any trees several blocks back and then moved to the coast at daybreak as the eye(or what was left of it) came across the coast.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we are pretty lucky since this is hurricane country a lot of wires are underground, but there are plenty of places in the older sections of town and the country that go weeks without every time we get a storm.  I remember in Fran the winds were gusting over 100 mph for several hrs and we would only lose power for a few minutes as they rerouted it around. Irene was a long event 15-16 hrs with winds gusting over 50 and up to 80 mph so we lost power around 7 am and didnt get it back for a few days. In Fran the night sky was a constant flickering of green and pink flashes as transformers popped, 

Heck, I don't think there's a wire in this city that's not above ground and that's what caused so many outages. As for tropical-type storms, I'd like to experience something like that someday (I could go without the 100mph gusts, though), but it seems we aren't impacted as much up this way in regards to the wind from them.

Oh, here's a few examples (from the past few days, or so) of what I was talking about...  :whistle:

If I could guarantee a foot of snow in your backyard tomorrow, I'm sure you would all take it gladly.  :D

I, for one, am looking forward to warmer weather and tracking severe thunderstorms. 

There we go! I'm tired of this cool weather. Started the 1st six days of the month -15 departure. Upper 70s and lower 80s are in the forecast starting this weekend with full sunshine. Hell yeah!

Congrats to the mountains I guess...again?  For everybody else it's just more cool rain.  Ready for warm, let's get that block in January next time when it can do some good.   

Birthday plans for next weekend look ruined thanks. I expect 70 degree weather in late March.

We have it suppressed enough to allow for some north trends to make it a NC north threat leading up to it. I probably won't bite until Tuesday.

Today was beautiful! Get those clown maps outa here!

Really? I doubt it will happen, but to be honest I am ready for more days like today and don't want to see anymore cold until next winter. This will probably either end up too warm, not have enough precip, or move north like everything else did this winter. And if we just get some cool rain out of this like we have all winter, I'd rather just past.

This is like the girl you could never leave behind, and once you're ready to move on from her, she comes back in your life again.

Nice way to get a forecast right. Might as well say temps will range from 32-105 to nail the rest of the year.

Lol, they aren't trying to "nail" the temp fcst. They are relaying the amount of uncertainty in the pattern. At least a 20F t/grad within their cwfa, same here at gsp...makes for a highly challenging temp fcst with a high bust potential.

Lol, they aren't trying to "nail" the temp fcst. They are relaying the amount of uncertainty in the pattern. At least a 20F t/grad within their cwfa, same here at gsp...makes for a highly challenging temp fcst with a high bust potential.

Oops my bad. Haha. I see what you are talking about.

And we just got screwed for the tourney... some snow won't even help now. (Much anyway) This weather has me desiring summer now.

Nope.  You had 10 losses, you screwed yourselves.

Compare their record, RPI, strength of schedule, and record the last 10 games with the seven seeds and even a dookie with sense can see UNC got screwed in the seeding.

The NCAA pairings do set up a possible tourney rematch between UNC and Kansas in the second round.  It should bring back some painful memories for UNC fans.

From college basketball's top 10 most embarrassing losses in the last 10 years page.

8)  Kansas 84      UNC 66       4/5/2008

For the first time in the history of the 64-team bracket, all four #1 seeds made it to the Final Four in 2008.  So when #1 North Carolina was favored by three points over #1 Kansas, everyone thought… "that sounds about right."  Wrong.  In what was sure to be a close, hard fought battle between two goliaths of college basketball, the Tarheels found themselves down 40-12 with five minutes to go in the first half.  Given the importance and national publicity of this game, 9:20 PM ET on April 5, 2008 might set the record for most people pointing and laughing in America at one time.  Despite their comeback attempt in the second half, the final spread was ultimately 18 in favor of the Jayhwaks.  Luckily for UNC, many people had turned the game off by then.

I remember Roy just sitting there like a deer in the headlights as they fell further and further behind.

Compare their record, RPI, strength of schedule, and record the last 10 games with the seven seeds and even a dookie with sense can see UNC got screwed in the seeding.

I'm not so sure.  I'd definitely take Creighton and San Diego State over UNC.  Illinois and Notre Dame aren't much to write home about, but then neither is UNC, save for the fact that they made the conference final (which is more than Duke can say, granted).

Archived