Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too much destruction. We had 40-50mph gusts here and all across the SE. Storms like debby, beryl, lee, fay, are the fun ones.

It's kind of a Goldilocks thing isn't it? You want a landfalling storm that's powerful enough to produce some impressive gusts, but not TOO strong. Just right.

Fair enough. I enjoy tracking tropical systems more than experiencing them anyway. Sandy was a lot of fun to watch evolve, but obviously the impacts were horrible. If only it had stayed mostly offshore like the '91 Perfect Storm did.

Nadine was a fun one to watch, too.

It's kind of a Goldilocks thing isn't it? You want a landfalling storm that's powerful enough to produce some impressive gusts, but not TOO strong. Just right.Fair enough. I enjoy tracking tropical systems more than experiencing them anyway. Sandy was a lot of fun to watch evolve, but obviously the impacts were horrible. If only it had stayed mostly offshore like the '91 Perfect Storm did. Nadine was a fun one to watch, too.

2010 was a fun season to watch also. That period from late August to November was amazing. Even October had 5/5/0

It's kind of a Goldilocks thing isn't it? You want a landfalling storm that's powerful enough to produce some impressive gusts, but not TOO strong. Just right. Fair enough. I enjoy tracking tropical systems more than experiencing them anyway. Sandy was a lot of fun to watch evolve, but obviously the impacts were horrible. If only it had stayed mostly offshore like the '91 Perfect Storm did. Nadine was a fun one to watch, too.

the fun part, and we really didnt get the best gusts on camera most of these in this clip are gusts to 55-60 but we did have several exceed hurricane force. We had gusts to 50 mph or better for 16 straight hrs.....

the not so fun part is clean up, every house in the neighborhood had a tree or three on/in it.

Alright.  It's time to call all of you "Spring Weenies" out.  All of you saying you are ready for spring and can't wait for winter to be over are just flat out denying the truth.  Why are you even spending time on the board at this point of the year, if that's true?  And don't give me the "I'm ready for severe weather" excuse.  Snow in late March is severe enough for all of us!  I know the true severe weather junkies and they know their topic quite well, but the vast majority of us on this board cannot claim to like severe weather season over winter weather season.  So, face it:  you love snow just as much as the rest of us, but you're trying to prove to the rest of us that you can even attempt to exhibit rational thought by not caring about this upcoming potential chance while the entire time you're doing every possible snow dance you can imagine to make this threat a reality.

:P :P :P

Now, just embrace who you really are and don't try to hide it.

Edit:  I moved this post from the wrong thread that I had originally posted it in.  Oops.

Alright.  It's time to call all of you "Spring Weenies" out.  All of you saying you are ready for spring and can't wait for winter to be over are just flat out denying the truth.  Why are you even spending time on the board at this point of the year, if that's true?  And don't give me the "I'm ready for severe weather" excuse.  Snow in late March is severe enough for all of us!  I know the true severe weather junkies and they know their topic quite well, but the vast majority of us on this board cannot claim to like severe weather season over winter weather season.  So, face it:  you love snow just as much as the rest of us, but you're trying to prove to the rest of us that you can even attempt to exhibit rational thought by not caring about this upcoming potential chance while the entire time you're doing every possible snow dance you can imagine to make this threat a reality.

:P :P

Edit:  I moved this post from the wrong thread that I had originally posted it in.  Oops.

Hey, don't get me wrong I love snow, but come mid-March I'm done with tracking cold and snow!  :P I've actually been looking past this upcoming snow threat to see if there's any possible chance of severe on the horizon.. and I'm not seeing much except for maybe a change towards the very end of March and beginning of April.

I've spent a lot of time in the woods the last few days, and walking around on the fall leaves.  It is dry as a bone around here.  Even will all the rain we've had, it isn't near enough.  It's already dangerously dry in the undergrowth.  I sure hope the up coming squall lines bring some rain, and not the usual bluster with no soaking.  Come on Moles, get me some more decent rains!!  Then you can turn your attention to getting MetalBoy some flurries on April Fools Day.  That would be perfect irony, lol.  T

I've spent a lot of time in the woods the last few days, and walking around on the fall leaves. It is dry as a bone around here. Even will all the rain we've had, it isn't near enough. It's already dangerously dry in the undergrowth. I sure hope the up coming squall lines bring some rain, and not the usual bluster with no soaking. Come on Moles, get me some more decent rains!! Then you can turn your attention to getting MetalBoy some flurries on April Fools Day. That would be perfect irony, lol. T

I'm proudly waiting for that to happen.

Hey, don't get me wrong I love snow, but come mid-March I'm done with tracking cold and snow!  :P I've actually been looking past this upcoming snow threat to see if there's any possible chance of severe on the horizon.. and I'm not seeing much except for maybe a change towards the very end of March and beginning of April.

And you, sir, are one of the true junkies to which I was referring.  Ergo, I think your desire for spring is actually the truth.  In other words, I was not referring to you in my rant.  :)

Alright. It's time to call all of you "Spring Weenies" out. All of you saying you are ready for spring and can't wait for winter to be over are just flat out denying the truth. Why are you even spending time on the board at this point of the year, if that's true? And don't give me the "I'm ready for severe weather" excuse. Snow in late March is severe enough for all of us! I know the true severe weather junkies and they know their topic quite well, but the vast majority of us on this board cannot claim to like severe weather season over winter weather season. So, face it: you love snow just as much as the rest of us, but you're trying to prove to the rest of us that you can even attempt to exhibit rational thought by not caring about this upcoming potential chance while the entire time you're doing every possible snow dance you can imagine to make this threat a reality.

:P :P :P

Edit: I moved this post from the wrong thread that I had originally posted it in. Oops.

Who are you referring to? :)

And you, sir, are one of the true junkies to which I was referring.  Ergo, I think your desire for spring is actually the truth.  In other words, I was not referring to you in my rant.  :)

I somehow missed the part about "true junkies" in your rant.  :lol:

Great, Wunderground just got me excited. They are now saying snow on Thursday night with 1 inch possible. The thing is, the low is only 34, barely cold enough for it to even be snow, and they are putting the high on Friday to be 50. I've seen some of their forecasts go crazy before, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Great, Wunderground just got me excited. They are now saying snow on Thursday night with 1 inch possible. The thing is, the low is only 34, barely cold enough for it to even be snow, and they are putting the high on Friday to be 50. I've seen some of their forecasts go crazy before, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Well, it's inside a week, so the chances go up some :)  Inside two days you can start getting excited....it wouldn't be the first time over the last few years when Miss. got snow and the rest of us watched.  Hopefully there will be a wide swath from you to me!!!  Good luck :)  T

Well, it's inside a week, so the chances go up some :) Inside two days you can start getting excited....it wouldn't be the first time over the last few years when Miss. got snow and the rest of us watched. Hopefully there will be a wide swath from you to me!!! Good luck :) T

18z Gfs twisterdata snowmap had snow for the entire state of GA. Only problem was surface temps were in the 60s. 850mb were below freezing.

Omg nice video. Crazy wind for sure. Looks fun and scary at the same time. I want to see more video!

July 1st Mini Derecho winds exceeding 60 ( this is my brother who post here as Shaggy) mph, the pine stand across the road lost about 10 trees in this event. The second one has a bad word the grill lid came off and almost got Shaggy in the head right when he started filming this, this is maybe 1 min after the first video the wind lasted a long time.

A bit further down the rd it topped out at around 80-100 the little town of Grimesland took a nasty hit, almost looked like a tornado had hit .

Another Irene video at 19 secs or so you will start to hear another bigger gust coming and at 29 sec you see it peak thats usually when stuff breaks and we had dozens of trees down in the area and every time you got a little push in the gust like that you would hear a few cracks and then the thumps as a tree somewhere let go and came down. really though it seemed like whenever I turned off the damn camera a monster gust would hit so I didnt get the top gust on video we whited out completely a few times and those were the gust that were 70-80.

July 1st Mini Derecho winds exceeding 60 ( this is my brother who post here as Shaggy) mph, the pine stand across the road lost about 10 trees in this event.

A bit further down the rd it topped out at around 80-100 the little town of Grimesland took a nasty hit, almost looked like a tornado had hit .

This reminded me of the June 29th derecho. I remember the wind gusting like that. Something unique I remember about the June event is seeing flashes from transformers blowing off in the distance even before the storm hit and having my power flickering 10 minutes in advance. It was quite eerie considering the storm hadn't even reached me at that point; I knew something was different this time around. Little did I know I'd be without power for a week in 100 degree temps, though.

This reminded me of the June 29th derecho. I remember the wind gusting like that. Something unique I remember about the June event is seeing flashes from transformers blowing off in the distance even before the storm hit and having my power flickering 10 minutes in advance. It was quite eerie considering the storm hadn't even reached me at that point; I knew something was different this time around. Little did I know I'd be without power for a week in 100 degree temps, though.

Was that your greatest storm ever? or have you seen better? That derecho was beast.

we are pretty lucky since this is hurricane country a lot of wires are underground, but there are plenty of places in the older sections of town and the country that go weeks without every time we get a storm.  I remember in Fran the winds were gusting over 100 mph for several hrs and we would only lose power for a few minutes as they rerouted it around. Irene was a long event 15-16 hrs with winds gusting over 50 and up to 80 mph so we lost power around 7 am and didnt get it back for a few days. In Fran the night sky was a constant flickering of green and pink flashes as transformers popped, 

Was that your greatest storm ever? or have you seen better? That derecho was beast.

As far as wind goes, it's probably at the top of my list. Roanoke officially gusted to 81mph. Never seen so many trees down area-wide before. 

You mention mention beast and that it was. Naturally, my first reaction from seeing it moving into WV was to think this thing will be mutilated by the mountains, but the dynamics in play that day were incredible and allowed it to go clean to the Atlantic. The other crazy thing about it was I didn't see a single drop of rain from it. Nada. It was just an OFB on steroids by the time it got to me.

Archived