• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

Yeah, another hit on the NE would be pretty scary. I'm starting to get a little worried about the NC coast too. For the most part I think that the locals down here know what's up, but we haven't had a really bad storm in a while (Isabel in 2003 was pretty bad on but the storms in the late '90s were worse). If you have a lull for a decade or so, people can get complacent. Also, parts of the Outer Banks (especially north of Nags Head/Kitty Hawk) have an obscene amount of development now that wasn't there or wasn't as dense 10 or 15 years ago.

If we have a bad string of storms like Florida did in the mid-2000s...I just hope everyone knows what they need to do.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurricane season sucked big time, even if we got hit with the majority of those storms the damage would have been minimal. Most the storms were hardly worthy of getting a name.

Well, all you need is a Cat 1/TS stalling for a few days and you have a full-fledged disaster on your hands. Just ask Houston folks about Allison...

But yeah, last season's storms were not all that impressive, save Sandy which was a really special case. The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulated_cyclone_energy'>accumulated cyclone energy for the whole season was 133, which is above average but not even close to 2005's record of 250 :o

Well, all you need is a Cat 1/TS stalling for a few days and you have a full-fledged disaster on your hands. Just ask Houston folks about Allison...

But yeah, last season's storms were not all that impressive, save Sandy which was a really special case. The accumulated cyclone energy for the whole season was 133, which is above average but not even close to 2005's record of 250 :o

Pfft if it weren't for Nadine.

Hurricane season sucked big time, even if we got hit with the majority of those storms the damage would have been minimal. Most the storms were hardly worthy of getting a name.

You sure you are not thinking of 2011. All the storm except maybe oscar and that p storm paula pauda paudine whatever the hell its name was were worthy of names.

Do you cook with those? Is there another plant that can be mistaken for a ramp and be harmful? Just checking in case I get a wild hair to hunt for some.

Lily of the valley is very similar and a lot more prolific.  They taste horrible so you will be able to tell pretty quickly.  Ramps also stink to high heavens so that further differentiates them.

About to go negative tilt on a five guys burger! Cold rain where you at?

Nice! Awesome burgers there. Just don't get the order of "small fries" unless you have 5 or 6 buddies along to help you eat them.

I just went strong to the rack with a Zaxby's chicken finger plate. That's good stuff right there. :)

Nice! Awesome burgers there. Just don't get the order of "small fries" unless you have 5 or 6 buddies along to help you eat them.

I just went strong to the rack with a Zaxby's chicken finger plate. That's good stuff right there. :)

Cold, is Char-Gill still going strong in Raleigh?  Dare I say the best burger joint I've ever been to...maybe it was just the the ravenous hunger of a college kid though

Cold, is Char-Gill still going strong in Raleigh? Dare I say the best burger joint I've ever been to...maybe it was just the the ravenous hunger of a college kid though

Oh yeah. There are several of them around here. In fact, if Franklin were here, I'd highly recommend it. Also, Grill 57 in Garner is awesome. I hit up Char Grill a lot when I was at State as well...along with an abundance of Taco Bell. Those were the days... :D

Oh yeah. There are several of them around here. In fact, if Franklin were here, I'd highly recommend it. Also, Grill 57 in Garner is awesome. I hit up Char Grill a lot when I was at State as well...along with an abundance of Taco Bell. Those were the days... :D

They have one here in Davidson (Char Grill), but the place, the burger, it just wasn't the same as what I remember from the Hillsborough Street venue.

They have one here in Davidson (Char Grill), but the place, the burger, it just wasn't the same as what I remember from the Hillsborough Street venue.

Yeah, it would be really hard to duplicate the Hillsborough scene anywhere else. I work in downtown and drive by the Char Grill once a week on my way to Arby's.

I didn't know Char Grills were in places other than Raleigh. That's pretty cool.

I would definitely try it! There is a place here that has a three pound burger that I failed to finish. I guess my attempt to be the next man versus food failed.

MetalMan, buddy!!!  We are good.  Always we are good.  You have never said anything to do more than make me laugh :)  I just mentioned you to mess with you.  Sorry, I should have done it in banter.  I just got to writing and fell in love with my cool self, lol.  I'll try not to let it happen again :)   I'll let you know if you need to apologize for anything, but this ain't it, lol! And I appreciate your concern and I would expect nothing less from a class guy.  So there :)  Tony

I would definitely try it! There is a place here that has a three pound burger that I failed to finish. I guess my attempt to be the next man versus food failed.

A three pound burger? I would never do well with the man vs food thing. I think I could muscle down a one pounder, but anything more than that, I'd be in bad shape! I had a cousin take the 72 oz steak challenge at a steak restaurant at Myrtle Beach once. You had to eat the steak, a side salad, a baked potato, and a roll all within one hour and it was free. Otherwise, you had to pay like $35 bucks or something (which isn't bad for a 5 lb steak, if you ask me). He got about 90% of it down. I didn't see him at all the next day. I believe the food won that round. :)

MetalMan, buddy!!! We are good. Always we are good. You have never said anything to do more than make me laugh :) I just mentioned you to mess with you. Sorry, I should have done it in banter. I just got to writing and fell in love with my cool self, lol. I'll try not to let it happen again :) I'll let you know if you need to apologize for anything, but this ain't it, lol! And I appreciate your concern and I would expect nothing less from a class guy. So there :) Tony

:) :) :) Haha I see now.

But I see cold air that could be tapped. This thing may trend to a NC snowstorm.

The freezing line on the 18z GFS was initialized further N than current freezing line. This could have a big impact on precip type.

That storm showed up again on the 18z GFS.  I read a report that the RAOB station in Nome, AK was out of order due to elk damage.  Taking that into account, this should trend colder and stronger with time.

I'd go ahead and lock this one up.  I'm all in.  It's going to be epic.

gfsnamer336850tempmslpp.gif

NOPE, I'm not worried about 50F surface temperatures at all.  It's gonna snow!!!

That's the one, or the one after I think will bring flurries to Waycross.  There is already a gator alert out.  That cold air is much colder than modeled, and the ridge further west and much more pronounced.  At least that's the way it looked when I slammed my head with the torque wrench working under the van earlier.  I think of it as a vision, lol. T

^^ There's a big High moving toward the North Pole from Russia -- a perfect position to deliver the cold during the storm -- so we should be good, amirite? :)

Honestly, the only question at this point is amounts.  I'm thinking 8-12" right now as a conservative estimate at this time frame.  I will revise upward as we move closer to verification date.

Honestly, the only question at this point is amounts. I'm thinking 8-12" right now as a conservative estimate at this time frame. I will revise upward as we move closer to verification date.

Well, I was thinking 10-14, with locally higher amounts....so we're relatively in the same ballpark. :thumbsup:

That's the one, or the one after I think will bring flurries to Waycross. There is already a gator alert out. That cold air is much colder than modeled, and the ridge further west and much more pronounced. At least that's the way it looked when I slammed my head with the torque wrench working under the van earlier. I think of it as a vision, lol. T

Is this poised to happen next winter? :D

Archived