• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

Saw WxSouth say the Euro showed a big snowstorm for NC on the 19th and 20th. To be honest, after today's awesome weather and getting out in the yard doing some work and playing for the kids, I didn't want to see that. I was all ready for spring. Now this is like the girl who you can't say no to coming back again just when you were about to move on.

Yes the weather was amazing today. I have 80s in the forecast next weekend. Oh joy and full sunshine.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! That was cold, man! Slightly funny (being that I'm a resident of the bigger brother state), but definitely ice cold. You better watch out when Bevo, QueencityWx (though, he's just a transplant), Buckeye, and some others read that comment!

Oh, come now, good sir! Just when I thought we got along so well, Tony, you had to go and say something like that! :P

:lmao: :lmao:

Wow!  That was cold, man!  Slightly funny (being that I'm a resident of the bigger brother state), but definitely ice cold.  You better watch out when Bevo, QueencityWx (though, he's just a transplant), Buckeye, and some others read that comment!

Oh, come now, good sir!  Just when I thought we got along so well, Tony, you had to go and say something like that!  :P

If someone from Waycross posts in a thread, but no one is around to read it...does it really matter either way?

Wow!  That was cold, man!  Slightly funny (being that I'm a resident of the bigger brother state), but definitely ice cold.  You better watch out when Bevo, QueencityWx (though, he's just a transplant), Buckeye, and some others read that comment!

Oh, come now, good sir!  Just when I thought we got along so well, Tony, you had to go and say something like that!  :P

Well, when you don't have much of a dog in the hunt, all you have left is making fun of the ones that are in it, lol.    We'll see though.  There is always something surprising come tourney time, but usually not the calls Dooke and Caroline get...especially Duke  :)  Used to be we worried about beating Rupp and Kentucky, then it was LSU,  now it's you guys.....as long as there's an admirable adversary, all is well!  T

Not a good weekend. My mother passed away yesterday in Raleigh, so I am dealing with all that that entails. As usual the government wants to know more than I feel they need to and requires more forms than I want to fill out. My dad died three years ago. If there is a heaven, I would imagine there is a hell of a fight going on over who gets control of the remote.

Sorry to hear this. My heart and prayers are with you. I loved the comment about the remote control. That put a big smile on my face.

Check out WxSouth on Facebook.  Robert is Foothils on here.   Great discussion.  Basically, he says what we all feel....Going to have to see it to believe it.  Could it happen yes.  Most likely no.  Can't rule it out because climo does support snow from bowling ball lows at this time of year, albeit very rarely.  Also, mentions that watching the block over Greenland is most important.  The models of have most often been incorrect on its potential existance until this past month when they were correct.  So, it's a wait and see mode.  If we get it, great.  If not, it' not something that we expect anyway.  Any snow would be a bonus from here on in.

This is not banter....gotta be kidding me.

This is not banter....gotta be kidding me.

It wasn't intentional  ;)   I have been known to have fat finger syndrome on my phone when trying to moving posts

Soon about 20 posts in the discussion thread are about to be moved here, lol its coming.

I'm enjoying a break at the moment  :P  

That reminds me of the time I got drunk when I was a kid and ran over myself with a tractor.  Like a damn fool teenager I was driving too fast down the field, got bounced out of the seat, my foot caught between the stick, and the engine housing, and I dangled there with the rear tire trying to crawl over me, while the tractor went, out of control, down the field.

I lived :)  But tracks, and big knobbly tractor tires, scare me, lol.   T

It was OK riding in Ted's Benz for our snow chase, but I am negotiating for a vehicle more suitable for someone my age.  Nothing like a 1925 Ford Model T Snow Flyer to leave Cantore in the rear view and get us where we need to go.

i-g7CFbm6-L.jpg

I will look and see if we can mount a plow on that for you!!!!  Awesome find JB

Crazy question: What time intervals determine the average highs and lows for one particular location? I know basically that it is from mid-night to mid-night, but does that change with daylight saving time? If not then dayligh saving time would cause average temps to read (just a little) higher through the year.  Example: RDU had a low around 57 from mid-night to 7am this morning. The cold front will pass during the day today which will allow our temp to drop to around 47 at mid-night tonight. Will this be our official low or will they wait until 1am (which will be 45) to take the reading. If it's mid-night we will read 1 degree warmer for the day if we did not have daylight saving time.   

Crazy question: What time intervals determine the average highs and lows for one particular location? I know basically that it is from mid-night to mid-night, but does that change with daylight saving time? If not then dayligh saving time would cause average temps to read (just a little) higher through the year.  Example: RDU had a low around 57 from mid-night to 7am this morning. The cold front will pass during the day today which will allow our temp to drop to around 47 at mid-night tonight. Will this be our official low or will they wait until 1am (which will be 45) to take the reading. If it's mid-night we will read 1 degree warmer for the day if we did not have daylight saving time.   

I'd say the one hour offset is insignificant overall and the point is rendered moot by the fact the current NWS computers probably don't have the processing power to add in a 1 hour offset.  :)

Any of you mountain folks seeing any ramps popping up yet?  I'm planning to go picking in a couple of weeks but don't want to be too early.  Last year I went too late.

Do you cook with those? Is there another plant that can be mistaken for a ramp and be harmful? Just checking in case I get a wild hair to hunt for some.

When do we get to know what storms were retired? Isaac most likely and possibly Sandy.

Cyclone name retirement falls to the World Meteorological Organization's Hurricane Committee, and they usually recommend names for retirement at their annual meeting, which is in early April this year.

I would have to say that Sandy will certainly be retired, along with probably Isaac. The only other storms that had any notable impact were Debby, Ernesto, and Helene, but I think they'll keep those names. With as many storms as there were last year, I think we were very lucky to have as few affect land as we did (of course, Sandy more than made up for what a few lesser hurricanes would have done put together).

Yeah the only storms I remember were Debby beryl Nadine Isaac and Sandy lol. Debby was the funnest. People were going wild over that. I was just kissing about the Sandy possibly being retired. Definitely gonna be retired and there is no way around that. Scary thing is NE Coast is no where near prepared. Same stuff can happen this year or even worse.

Cyclone name retirement falls to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_retired_Atlantic_hurricane_names]World Meteorological Organization's Hurricane Committee[/url], and they usually recommend names for retirement at their annual meeting, which is in early April this year.

I would have to say that Sandy will certainly be retired, along with probably Isaac. The only other storms that had any notable impact were Debby, Ernesto, and Helene, but I think they'll keep those names. With as many storms as there were last year, I think we were very lucky to have as few affect land as we did (of course, Sandy more than made up for what a few lesser hurricanes would have done put together).

Hurricane season sucked big time, even if we got hit with the majority of those storms the damage would have been minimal. Most the storms were hardly worthy of getting a name.

Archived