• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

On comment on this supposed "silence," I was at this game and the Dome was FAR from silent. That was the loudest I've ever seen it when we were trying to will our team to just hit a dang shot. However, one could still hear ratface's rampant cursing, including many f-bombs, throughout the game. I know it's hard for dook fans to understand how loud a place can be when your little gym only holds what is it? A couple thousand?

You mean these fans hopefully you where not one of them, typical wine and cheese crowd....and CIS is tons louder than the "dome" which is why it is usually ranked as the #1 or #2 toughest place to play on the road in the country. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/03/10/3905312/inglorious-end-to-otherwise-impressive.html

But with 3 minutes, 9 seconds remaining in the game, Duke had the game in hand with a 67-49 lead – triggering fans to exit the stadium.

“I’m a little disappointed in those people that left,” coach Roy Williams said following the loss. “I thought we would have stayed around and listened to the seniors. You can’t complain about those people, but I’m really, really pleased that those students did stay and listened to the video.

“I know that it’s not easy to sit there after somebody kicks your rear end like that.”

Sophomore guard P.J. Hairston echoed Williams’ observation.

“I do feel like (the fans) should have stayed if they cared that much about the team,” Hairston said. “I feel like that if you’re a Tar Heel fan, you still need to support your team through a loss or a win.”

By the 1:15 mark, Strickland was subbed out of the game with his head down, receiving no applause from a crowd that was nearly two-thirds empty.

I stayed and I've never left a game early when it was clear we were either going to win or lose.

However, I can understand why people left. It was late and most were in a sour mood from the loss and having spent quite a bit of money to come and see this "effort." Not a really good excuse though.

I was a little upset that I had to sit directly behind a dook fan. This man was one of the most arrogant and rude people I've ever encountered. And to make things worse, he was with his approx. five year old son. I truly felt sorry for the kid for being raised in that kind of environment, a dook environment.

In the end, we win because we go home as Tar Heels.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a pretentious and waste of a reply.

I'm not STUPID - I obvously know they are mets or at the very least people involved in weather - considering they are doing writeups and given forecasts.

I was asking for a full name and/or a url to see the discussions everyone is referring to.

Damn why take it so serious? These NC folks.

Shhhh. Let the grown-ups talk for a minute.

LOL people outside NC have a tough time understanding the Duke/UNC thing....I will say this I dont hate UNC or its fans, never have and never will, when it was under Dean I respected them a lot and would pull for them outside of the ACC. Since Roy took over though not so much he doesnt have that mutual respect thing that Dean and Coach K had. I do however know lots of UNC fans that hate with every fiber of their being Coach K and his teams to a level that is not healty lol. Go to any of the UNC boards and read the crap they write wishing death and harm on Duke players and "ratface" its horrible. 

Its a game and every year its fun to talk smack and earn bragging rights but some of these UNC fans  :yikes:. When Duke loses I go to  work and know I have it coming, UNC fans from all over the plant make sure to come by my line and say hi even if its way out of their way. However tomorrow I wont find any of them and most of them will get all pissy if I try to brag....

I stayed and I've never left a game early when it was clear we were either going to win or lose.

However, I can understand why people left. It was late and most were in a sour mood from the loss and having spent quite a bit of money to come and see this "effort." Not a really good excuse though.

I was a little upset that I had to sit directly behind a dook fan. This man was one of the most arrogant and rude people I've ever encountered. And to make things worse, he was with his approx. five year old son. I truly felt sorry for the kid for being raised in that kind of environment, a dook environment.

In the end, we win because we go home as Tar Heels.

First of all, I'm incredibly jealous that you had the opportunity to be at this game, but I'm sorry that this guy you sat behind was such a jerk.  Not all Duke fans are that way, nor are the majority of Carolina fans that I know.  You sound like a decent guy, Blizzard, as are many other UNC fans and Duke fans.  As downeast was commenting, most of my friends are UNC fans, and they love to rub it in when Duke loses just as much as I love it rub it in when UNC loses.  It's all good-natured fun.  In fact, for some weird reason, it's almost more fun for UNC to lose than it is for Duke to win.  Weird, huh?  It's a North Carolina thing, Metallic, you don't have to understand it.  But, perhaps you could compare it to the way some of the Southeast Forum pulls for other regions to miss out on a storm or other forecasts to bust more than they pull for it to hit them with the big snow.

:)

State is a head case and between their collective inability to play for 40 minutes and CJ Leslie's point shaving, they will get bounced in the second round IF they're lucky enough to win a game.

As a State fan, I don't like CJ Leslie. He barely looks like a competent big man. Every time I see him, he has the same apathetic, dazed look on his face. And he has lived up to about a fifth of the expectations people have for him. I believe if he plays like, say, 75% of the ACC player of the year he was supposed to be, NC State is a top 15 team. Everyone else is doing what they're supposed to do: Lorenzo Brown is an excellent point guard, Scott Wood is a lethal shooter, Richard Howell is a monster, and Purvis and Warren can both basically do just about anything. I like how they've developed. The only dud is CJ Leslie.

I think NC State either gets upset on Thursday to VT or makes it all the way to Sunday. It all depends on whether Gottfried can light a fire over Leslie. If he can, NC State will do well.

LOL people outside NC have a tough time understanding the Duke/UNC thing....I will say this I dont hate UNC or its fans, never have and never will, when it was under Dean I respected them a lot and would pull for them outside of the ACC. Since Roy took over though not so much he doesnt have that mutual respect thing that Dean and Coach K had. I do however know lots of UNC fans that hate with every fiber of their being Coach K and his teams to a level that is not healty lol. Go to any of the UNC boards and read the crap they write wishing death and harm on Duke players and "ratface" its horrible.

Its a game and every year its fun to talk smack and earn bragging rights but some of these UNC fans :yikes:. When Duke loses I go to work and know I have it coming, UNC fans from all over the plant make sure to come by my line and say hi even if its way out of their way. However tomorrow I wont find any of them and most of them will get all pissy if I try to brag....

I never pull for UNC, under any circumstances. I do pull for Duke...but that's usually only twice, maybe 3 times per year (depending on the ACC tourney match-ups, of course). ;)

My friends that I went to school (State) with, will not watch the Duke/UNC games. I think that's silly, because they're usually really fun to watch. It's a very good rivalry. I hope State is on the upswing now and can finally turn the corner with its program and be a meaningful part of the rivalry again.

Sorry to hear that man. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

If you don't mind me asking, had she been sick, or was it all of a sudden? If you don't care to share, totally understandable. I hope you get through all of the forms and red tape ok. That's got to be frustrating.

A long decline typical of advancing years.  It was not expected yesterday, but at the same time not a total shock.

Weird, huh? It's a North Carolina thing, Metallic, you don't have to understand it. But, perhaps you could compare it to the way some of the Southeast Forum pulls for other regions to miss out on a storm or other forecasts to bust more than they pull for it to hit them with the big snow.

Good comparison :lmao:

Not a good weekend.  My mother passed away yesterday in Raleigh, so I am dealing with all that that entails.  As usual the government wants to know more than I feel they need to and requires more forms than I want to fill out.  My dad died three years ago. If there is a heaven, I would imagine there is a hell of a fight going on over who gets control of the remote.

I'm sorry to hear this     :(      Love, Light, Thoughts and Prayers to you and your family 

As a State fan, I don't like CJ Leslie. He barely looks like a competent big man. Every time I see him, he has the same apathetic, dazed look on his face. And he has lived up to about a fifth of the expectations people have for him. I believe if he plays like, say, 75% of the ACC player of the year he was supposed to be, NC State is a top 15 team. Everyone else is doing what they're supposed to do: Lorenzo Brown is an excellent point guard, Scott Wood is a lethal shooter, Richard Howell is a monster, and Purvis and Warren can both basically do just about anything. I like how they've developed. The only dud is CJ Leslie.

I think NC State either gets upset on Thursday to VT or makes it all the way to Sunday. It all depends on whether Gottfried can light a fire over Leslie. If he can, NC State will do well.

Yeah, as Leslie goes, so goes the team, unfortunately. He won't be back next year, so that's good. It's sad, really. He's got a lot of talent, but either he doesn't have the mental toughness to play the game, or he's intentionally throwing it away. Either way, he's more of a liability than anything, especially at the end of the game.

I'm with you Tony. I use to like being out in the heat, but heat above 90 sucks and that's what we're been getting lately. What ever happened to temps in the 80's and pop-up thunderstorms? 

I guess I shouldn't complain though, our first points event of the season is Sunday and it's suppose to be nice,,, I know you're not far from Atlanta Motor Speedway, come out Sunday and say hey! 

Dang, Steve, I missed your post 'til Sun evening 10ish.  I'd have loved to come up there and see you.  And take a run around the track in your jeep!!!  Man, I bet it wouldn't take me long to figure out how to stay up on the bank....hmm....the jeeps I used to drive back in the 60's were notorious for turning over.  I hope yours stays up on the bank and doesn't come tumbling down.  Oh, well, I bet I'd get the hang of it quick, lol.

Yeah, I can hear you muttering about telling me about the race, and how glad you are I didn't show up :)  Oh, come on, Steve...let me drive the Jeep, lol.  Tony

Heartily agree with those statements.  I think Howell should make 1st-team all-ACC.

I never pull for UNC, under any circumstances. I do pull for Duke...but that's usually only twice, maybe 3 times per year (depending on the ACC tourney match-ups, of course). ;)

My friends that I went to school (State) with, will not watch the Duke/UNC games. I think that's silly, because they're usually really fun to watch. It's a very good rivalry. I hope State is on the upswing now and can finally turn the corner with its program and be a meaningful part of the rivalry again.

Thanks for your partial support!  :P

However, NCSU has my full support except for two, maybe 3 times per year (depending on the ACC tourney match-ups, of course).  Back at cha!

Not a good weekend.  My mother passed away yesterday in Raleigh, so I am dealing with all that that entails.  As usual the government wants to know more than I feel they need to and requires more forms than I want to fill out.  My dad died three years ago. If there is a heaven, I would imagine there is a hell of a fight going on over who gets control of the remote.

Damn, Mr. Burns, I'm awfully sorry to hear that.  If she was half as cool as you are, I expect she'll find happy times ahead.  My thoughts are with you.   Tony

Heartily agree with those statements. I think Howell should make 1st-team all-ACC.

Thanks for your partial support! :P

However, NCSU has my full support except for two, maybe 3 times per year (depending on the ACC tourney match-ups, of course). Back at cha!

Nice! Well, I hope that I get to pull for Duke once and that you don't get to pull for State once in the ACC tourney. That would be a good outcome. :)

First of all, I'm incredibly jealous that you had the opportunity to be at this game, but I'm sorry that this guy you sat behind was such a jerk.  Not all Duke fans are that way, nor are the majority of Carolina fans that I know.  You sound like a decent guy, Blizzard, as are many other UNC fans and Duke fans.  As downeast was commenting, most of my friends are UNC fans, and they love to rub it in when Duke loses just as much as I love it rub it in when UNC loses.  It's all good-natured fun.  In fact, for some weird reason, it's almost more fun for UNC to lose than it is for Duke to win.  Weird, huh?  It's a North Carolina thing, Metallic, you don't have to understand it.  But, perhaps you could compare it to the way some of the Southeast Forum pulls for other regions to miss out on a storm or other forecasts to bust more than they pull for it to hit them with the big snow.

Yep, there is nothing about Carolina or Duke that using west coast refs wouldn't fix, lol.  If it wasn't for all the home calls neither of them would win enough games together to get one of them to the dance :)  At least that's the way it's looked for the last 50 years to me, and I watched Carolina back in the 60's, when they were the only basketball game you could watch, lol.  Oh, they've both had the occasional good team, but it's the home calls, even in the tourney, that makes them great, lol.  T

There's nothing to say about SC really. I always thought you were in NC.

Wow!  That was cold, man!  Slightly funny (being that I'm a resident of the bigger brother state), but definitely ice cold.  You better watch out when Bevo, QueencityWx (though, he's just a transplant), Buckeye, and some others read that comment!

Yep, there is nothing about Carolina or Duke that using west coast refs wouldn't fix, lol.  If it wasn't for all the home calls neither of them would win enough games together to get one of them to the dance :)  At least that's the way it's looked for the last 50 years to me, and I watched Carolina back in the 60's, when they were the only basketball game you could watch, lol.  Oh, they've both had the occasional good team, but it's the home calls, even in the tourney, that makes them great, lol.  T

Oh, come now, good sir!  Just when I thought we got along so well, Tony, you had to go and say something like that!  :P

In case some of you guys didn't know, we have an ACC basketball season thread in the off topic sports forum, which is made up of mostly people from the SE thread. I know some people have a problem with sports in the "banter" thread. :pimp: Should be an interesting ACC tournament this year with another Carolina-dook matchup possible on Saturday if they both win.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/37830-the-2012-13-acc-basketball-season-thread/page-1

Saw WxSouth say the Euro showed a big snowstorm for NC on the 19th and 20th. To be honest, after today's awesome weather and getting out in the yard doing some work and playing for the kids, I didn't want to see that. I was all ready for spring. Now this is like the girl who you can't say no to coming back again just when you were about to move on.

Archived