Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess everybody has a letdown feeling with this storm. Somebody will say how can you be let down with an 11.5 inch snow? Well, it goes to two things which for me ended up being the same thing. What I was hoping for was an all day mod-heavy snow. I never wanted 20 inches or even a foot. I was hoping for about 6" that fell over about an 8 hour period. Then I hoped it melted the next day. I like to watch it snow. Well what I got was 9" by 7am (over performer btw) and then 2.5 more by about 9:30. So, I got to see snow for a couple daylight hours, and spend about an hour and a half plowing the driveway and shoveling the walks and deck.

The early part of the storm was great. Forecast of 3-5 turned into 9. The part I wanted, the all day long, was what fell apart. I knew as soon as the precip took on the ne-sw direction back here that it was over. We were too far from the low at that point. We only do really well back here with precip coming from the south, be it sw, se, or just s. Precip with a northerly component to its direction just won't work this far west and this close to the mountains. Feb 10, 10 is a perfect example of that. It's like the low wound itself up too quickly for the long duration event back this way.

Now I hope winter is over. It was a tough year, much tougher for some than for me. We can all look ahead to next year with hope. One fun part for me has been hanging around this forum and being able to share thoughts with so many outstanding people.

:lmao:   :weenie:

On a rocker literally sitting on Grandma & Grandpa's back 40... Pics credit of one JBurns, a drive west off the hwy between here and Royal, honestly think we did better here than Front Royal. Last pics, cell signal sucks, and I am halfway down to the barm picking up a AT&T tower.

car-toppers

post-382-136262335058.jpg

post-382-136262338674.jpg

crushed

post-382-136262343162.jpg

horse farm ftw!

post-382-136262347056.jpg

On a rocker literally sitting on Grandma & Grandpa's back 40... Pics credit of one JBurns, a drive west off the hwy between here and Royal, honestly think we did better here than Front Royal. Last pics, cell signal sucks, and I am halfway down to the barm picking up a AT&T tower.

car-toppers

crushed

horse farm ftw!

Tell Burns to roll his window down next time! :P

You guys got yourselves a good chase there. Thanks for sending back the pix. Maybe next winter, you won't have to travel so far to see real snow.

Now that I'm at my computer, I can copy and paste stuff. Here are some good ones:

"I get the same feeling hanging around here right now that I get when I'm at a funeral."

"Those are some long ass posts telling us how it didn't snow when all I need to do is look outside and know "

"It's in the mid 40s right now in midtown. Like I said, I'd be surprised if we get more than 5". That said, N & E of here could get a lot more."

"^Who cares what NYC is getting?"

"Lesson learned for me: ignore any and all future NAM model outputs."

"The analysis of all the model runs was really good with this storm. We dissected them from top to bottom. Hashed out all the fine details. Rode them to the highest high even as snow was already falling. The one thing we kinda missed was that they were all f***ing wrong."

"Did I really just read 2 complaints about getting 10+. Anyone see the movie falling down? I might re-enact tomorrow."

"it's march this stuff is going to melt in 45 seconds tomorrow"

"^Since when does rain melt?"

"Serious question: Will anyone actually examine why the NAM was so off here? I mean, last night we were all high-fiving how "the NAM had scored a coup, the NAM was back, the NAM led the way."..... Err,... It was a pretty big fail, even for a model that at one point suggest 70 inches of snow would fall in part of New England in the Boston Blizzard 4 weeks ago."

"^I'll check...maybe we ran the NAM upside down."

"I don't want to be a hater, but if NYC gets 12 inches....it won't be pretty."

"^If I had to bet I'd say they are going to feel the pain we felt today. Reading that forum is like "the NAM looks cold" sounds like us 24 hours ago. Look where that got us."

"why is WBAL interrupting Ellen to report on this storm?"

"^Better question is why are you watching Ellen?"

Carl Parker doing his amazing analysis of the storm. Using things no one has ever seen before on TWC.

Is anyone keeping up with the Weather Channel winter storm name thingies? This one is "Saturn", apparently. If the automotive brand wasn't dead I'd think this was some corporate sponsorship thing.

"This winter storm was brought to you by Saturn. A different kind of car company."

320px-Saturn-2009-VUE.jpg

Wahoo!!  I told you you'd better watch out for Ga Tech come tourney time.  Miami got the pucker factor.  Whose next?  These freshmen have seen the light.  Big time win on the road with the title on the line.  Big time win.  T

That has nothing to do with me speeding. Get it right dinosaur. :P

Now that I'm at my computer, I can copy and paste stuff. Here are some good ones:

"I get the same feeling hanging around here right now that I get when I'm at a funeral."

"Those are some long ass posts telling us how it didn't snow when all I need to do is look outside and know "

"It's in the mid 40s right now in midtown. Like I said, I'd be surprised if we get more than 5". That said, N & E of here could get a lot more."

"^Who cares what NYC is getting?"

"Lesson learned for me: ignore any and all future NAM model outputs."

"The analysis of all the model runs was really good with this storm. We dissected them from top to bottom. Hashed out all the fine details. Rode them to the highest high even as snow was already falling. The one thing we kinda missed was that they were all f***ing wrong."

"Did I really just read 2 complaints about getting 10+. Anyone see the movie falling down? I might re-enact tomorrow."

"it's march this stuff is going to melt in 45 seconds tomorrow"

"^Since when does rain melt?"

"Serious question: Will anyone actually examine why the NAM was so off here? I mean, last night we were all high-fiving how "the NAM had scored a coup, the NAM was back, the NAM led the way."..... Err,... It was a pretty big fail, even for a model that at one point suggest 70 inches of snow would fall in part of New England in the Boston Blizzard 4 weeks ago."

"^I'll check...maybe we ran the NAM upside down."

"I don't want to be a hater, but if NYC gets 12 inches....it won't be pretty."

"^If I had to bet I'd say they are going to feel the pain we felt today. Reading that forum is like "the NAM looks cold" sounds like us 24 hours ago. Look where that got us."

"why is WBAL interrupting Ellen to report on this storm?"

"^Better question is why are you watching Ellen?"

Just masterful.  I love the "tactful" style of the MA up through the NE.  You never have to wonder where you stand, or what they're thinking.  It's a beautiful thing.

Heh, I watched the UNC-Maryland game tonight and they showed a few outside shots in College Park. I don't believe I've ever seen less snow than that my entire life, except maybe that one time I went to Badwater Basin in Death Valley. And yet, I'm told that UM had cancelled classes today. If true, then...oops.

What's that old saying about erring on the side of caution?  Yeah, that bollocks.

Just masterful.  I love the "tactful" style of the MA up through the NE.  You never have to wonder where you stand, or what they're thinking.  It's a beautiful thing.

Forgot another great one I read.....someone made a comment that at their ratio of 3.124 to 1, they would need about 14" of QPF to reach their forecast snow total! LOL!

Wahoo!!  I told you you'd better watch out for Ga Tech come tourney time.  Miami got the pucker factor.  Whose next?  These freshmen have seen the light.  Big time win on the road with the title on the line.  Big time win.  T

Go Tech! Impressive win on the road. That reminds me...I so miss the golden days of Bobby Cremins! ;(

Forgot another great one I read.....someone made a comment that at their ratio of 3.124 to 1, they would need about 14" of QPF to reach their forecast snow total! LOL!

I guess I just identify with the "no need to spray perfume on crap" philosophy.  I enjoy strolling the MA and NE forums just to read the blunt honesty, which by it's own terms is often great comedy.  Only in the NE would you read an exchange about weather that evolves into an angry pissing match about music, leading to the entire dialogue abruptly concluding with:

"If the name of your band isn't pronounced like it's spelled, f*** your band!"

I wish I could remember exactly when and where I read it, but I know it was in a NE forum.

Go Tech! Impressive win on the road. That reminds me...I so miss the golden days of Bobby Cremins! ;(

And Anderson, Scott, Oliver, Mackey, McNeil, and Brown, lol.   This team will be pretty good next year.  And It doesn't hurt them this year that they played the whole season last year on the road.  Road games don't mean the same to them any more :)  T

LilJ...best mail in your check registered mail.  So they don't "lose" it, and stick you in the pokey :)  Speeding like that can put you on the Group W bench.   T

Archived