• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

the problem with this storm was it's track. To those far enough away on the NW side of the ULL as it passed had no problems with sfc temps sun angle and ground temps. I mean seriously, are you implying sun angle played a role in DC not seeing as much snow? 

Gah, I need to hold my tongue sometimes. I wasn't implying sun angle played a role in DC's paltry accumulations, as its pretty hard to get accumulations when its a rain/snow mix to start with. What I was trying to say is that surface temps, soil temps, and sun angle played a larger than usual part in hindering snow accumulations in this storm. Obviously surface temps played a role, but reading the MA Obs. forum, it sounds like many people lost accumulation they had picked up in the morning, even though it was still snowing. That's where I think sun angle played a role in reducing accumulations.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The models are terrible. You would think with all the upgrades and stuff this big of a bust wouldn't happen. The areas west of DC are even raining.

It seems wherever Cantore goes its a bust lol. Same thing when he was in Lincoln, NE.

the areaa west of dc have turned to rain because they have lost the great lift they had earlier. I have not looked too much into this storm. Is it weaker than it was suppose to be?

Some places in the DC area managed to stay mostly/all snow, but still couldn't get much in the way of accumulations with spotty rates, the high sun angle, soggy ground, and temperatures in the mid-30s (a real killer).

And then of course the rain was a problem.  Even Dulles is reporting with 37F with -RN now.  Yikes.

Man I'm really sorry for the people in the mid-atlantic. I wouldn't wish a storm bust like this on my worst enemy. That would have been a dagger to my hart. For me, I was just happy to see a couple of snow showers today.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing DC get screwed. It puts a smile on my face. :D

The models are terrible. You would think with all the upgrades and stuff this big of a bust wouldn't happen. The areas west of DC are even raining.

It seems wherever Cantore goes its a bust lol. Same thing when he was in Lincoln, NE.

I am sure it would be a big cost to the weather channel (hotel and/or lodging, etc), but they have wheels on their vehicles.  Do they fly the mets in to meet the ground troops or do they travel by vehicle? 

If vehicle, just suck it up, take a loss, and go find the flippin snow.  What would he have had to drive to see a foot or more of snow...................20 miles?  I would have done that before going on live TV in 20 layers and a snow suit, only to take a picture/live shot with your hands in the air looking at rain and a bare ground. 

I am sure it would be a big cost to the weather channel (hotel and/or lodging, etc), but they have wheels on their vehicles.  Do they fly the mets in to meet the ground troops or do they travel by vehicle? 

If vehicle, just suck it up, take a loss, and go find the flippin snow.  What would he have had to drive to see a foot or more of snow...................20 miles?  I would have done that before going on live TV in 20 layers and a snow suit, only to take a picture/live shot with your hands in the air looking at rain and a bare ground. 

We. Found it. Missed Al though. Trying to load picts. Very ltd.service

We. Found it. Missed Al though. Trying to load picts. Very ltd.service

I will be looking forward to seeing your pictures when you get them uploaded. Since you guys took so many, I think you should start a pictures thread for it when you get back. Hope you guys had a blast, enjoy all the snow and be safe when you return!

Hey guys, we just came across the most spectacular snow scenes on the way to Front Royal 22 inches. We are at a diner trying to upload now. Good news on Frosty

:thumbsup:

Jackpot, 7-10 miles ssw of Front Royal, up on big mountain, conservative Burns said 2'+ and I concur

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1362597477.935244.jpg

Wow! Glad you all are enjoying yourselves!  I can't wait to see all the pictures  :wub:

Just talked to big frosty. He said tell everybody he appreciates the thoughts and prayers. He is home resting

Glad to hear Frosty is okay   ^_^  Positive thoughts for a speedy recovery  :hug: 

Congrats WeatherNC you made a wise choice! It is a different story in the lowlands.

Wait till you see some of the shots we got in to the park south of Royal with 1600-2k elevation, Birns has the best, phones have been crap searching for signals. I will try to get a few up tonight, 24-28" jackpot... Took a sig melt here at the farm after we left around 1130 and came back at 330. Still a 10-12" base on the pastures here, 28 at sunset. But we were likely around 16 before we left, getting back to 34 and drizzle with what should have been needles. The melt kinda sucked, but our afternoon drive in to 2' plus land, epic! It got pretty hairy for a bit, Ted almost hit a plow, couple times.

Wait till you see some of the shots we got in to the park south of Royal with 1600-2k elevation, Birns has the best, phones have been crap searching for signals. I will try to get a few up tonight, 24-28" jackpot... Took a sig melt here at the farm after we left around 1130 and came back at 330. Still a 10-12" base on the pastures here, 28 at sunset. But we were likely around 16 before we left, getting back to 34 and drizzle with what should have been needles. The melt kinda sucked, but our afternoon drive in to 2' plus land, epic! It got pretty hairy for a bit, Ted almost hit a plow, couple times.

Well glad you got a great one.  What a disaster it was near the city, just an epic bust, rivals December 2000.  I was in Reston so I got about 4" before it flipped to rain, so it wasn't a complete bust. Every model was calling for 10-18" in the area, every model!   I completely missed seeing the snowfall as I was in meetings.  Watching Cantore in the city was painful, the DC region boards was like a funeral.  The local forecasters were getting crucified, they shutdown the government for an entire and didn't have any accumulating snow.  Well I finally got home, what a nightmare of a winter, I can't wait til we have the 60's this weekend.  I think this article sums it up best....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danoshinsky/washington-dc-is-the-worst-during-a-snowstorm

Check out the Mid Atlantic Nowcast thread and look at the "Random quotes" by Amped a page or so ago. Hilarious.

I kinda feel bad, but the reactions are funny.

They have absolutely taken it on the chin since there record winter. Remember, they were completely missed by the Boxing Day storm, got skunked last year and just had about the worst model bust you can ever have across the board for another horrible winter. They are going to need Dr Phil for sure.

Archived