Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the MA forum, sounds like the storm is a pretty big bust for DC, Baltimore, and other places. I think a northward shift in the models 3-4 days out like we had is better than a bust like they're having right now.

Strongly agree.  I'd be in full meltdown mode if I expected a good snow and ended up with a slushy mix.  Thankfully, I gave up on this one a few days ago, so it doesn't hurt to miss out.

We always knew the cold was going to be a problem, but the models had trended towards colder surface temperatures near DCA in the last few runs of the models, yet here we are.

On a side note, it's kind of bizarre how Richmond is now seeing heavy snow while it is raining in DCA.  Of course, Dulles to the west of a city is a different story where it has been snowing at 33 degrees all day.  A few miles can make all the difference in these marginal events.

EDIT: Good to hear Frosty is okay! :)

Strongly agree. I'd be in full meltdown mode if I expected a good snow and ended up with a slushy mix. Thankfully, I gave up on this one a few days ago, so it doesn't hurt to miss out.

We always knew the cold was going to be a problem, but the models had trended towards colder surface temperatures near DCA in the last few runs of the models, yet here we are.

On a side note, it's kind of bizarre how Richmond is now seeing heavy snow while it is raining in DCA. Of course, Dulles to the west of a city is a different story where it has been snowing at 33 degrees all day. A few miles can make all the difference in these marginal events.

From the sound of it, the snow is in full meltdown mode too.

If BL is a problem up there, I can't imagine what kind of issues we'd have further south.

Hey Guys!!  Keep Big Frosty in your thoughts and Prayers, his wife just called me and they are taking him to hospital with Chest Pains!

This storm gave plenty of us heart palpitations over the past week...

seriously though, hope everything is well........... 

There's some pretty funny cliff diving going on over in the MA forums.....peeked in there to see what type of storm reports were coming in....here's a sample:

.......it's pretty so at least I'm going to try to enjoy the snow vs. getting sadder and sadder on the computer  :(

........im 5 minutes away from starting to break things

........I'd sell my kids on craigslist for some snow right now.

........I've got rain/snow and fog mixing in with some depression and mild alcoholism

Hilarious.

There's some pretty funny cliff diving going on over in the MA forums.....peeked in there to see what type of storm reports were coming in....here's a sample:

.......it's pretty so at least I'm going to try to enjoy the snow vs. getting sadder and sadder on the computer  :(

........im 5 minutes away from starting to break things

........I'd sell my kids on craigslist for some snow right now.

........I've got rain/snow and fog mixing in with some depression and mild alcoholism

Hilarious.

Some of those MA'ers live and die by the prospective MECS and failure of snowstorms.

Some of those MA'ers live and die by the prospective MECS and failure of snowstorms.

Yep.....here's some more:

...Legit snow out on 66 towards centreville. I got tired of waiting for this nonsense

....Rain is now our new winter event, that's why schools were closed!

....I'll check...maybe we ran the NAM upside down.

....Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy fog. High near 36. Breezy, with a north wind 23 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Lets see, not snowing, barely raining, 0" on the ground. Why are they even bothering? 

....I'm gonna need a 12 pack when I get home

This is great stuff!  Cheap entertainment rather than reading Brick complaining!!

Yep.....here's some more:

...Legit snow out on 66 towards centreville. I got tired of waiting for this nonsense

....Rain is now our new winter event, that's why schools were closed!

....I'll check...maybe we ran the NAM upside down.

....Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy fog. High near 36. Breezy, with a north wind 23 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Lets see, not snowing, barely raining, 0" on the ground. Why are they even bothering? 

....I'm gonna need a 12 pack when I get home

This is great stuff!  Cheap entertainment rather than reading Brick complaining!!

Talk about first world problems...

We made it to Front Royal, could not find Al, but we eat lunch at Aunt Sandys diner, profiles in Front Royal seem about the same as the farm, drive between it gets much better once you hit some sig elevation, valleys its still pretty wet, roads range from good to severe, impassable unless plowed. On our way back to the farm, will update as cell signal permits, it sucks pretty bad up here.

post-382-136259777098.jpg

We made it to Front Royal, could not find Al, but we eat lunch at Aunt Sandys diner, profiles in Front Royal seem about the same as the farm, drive between it gets much better once you hit some sig elevation, valleys its still pretty wet, roads range from good to severe, impassable unless plowed. On our way back to the farm, will update as cell signal permits, it sucks pretty bad up here.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1362597765.254632.jpg

I have spent many days up in Front Royal. I work up there in the summer for the National Zoo, looks like you went down past the SCBI towards flint hill on 522. Great pics!

DC just got downgraded to a WWA.  :yikes:

Even Charlottesville has changed over to rain as the precip rates lighten and the storm begins to scoot out.  Of course, they have like a foot of snow on the ground.

Oh boy! let the fun begin.......NWS has cancelled winter storm warning for DC & Baltimore. Replaced it with a winter wx advisory for DC, and no advisory for Baltimore.

z50fKlk.png

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is our historic March snowstorm. I have heard a lot of people on here say not to worry about surface temps, sun angle, and ground temps in snowstorms as heavy precip rates will overcome it. Something tells me come next winter, those three features will come under a lot more scrutiny before events after 1/17, 2/16, and this storm. Once bitten, twice shy.

Hello fellow AMS/NWA members and colleagues,

The Georgia Tech Student Chapter of the the AMS (known as StORM) would like to cordially invite the metro Atlanta chapter to their meeting with James Spann. Spann is a broadcast meteorologist based in Birmingham, Alabama. He currently works for ABC 33/40, which is seen in Tuscaloosa and Anniston, Alabama. Spann has worked in the field since 1978, and he is noted for his non-stop coverage of tornadoes that have impacted his area, including the recent April 27, 2011 Tuscaloosa tornado.

The meeting will take place on Tuesday, March 12th at 11am in the Ford Environmental Science and Technology building, room L1175.

The address of the Environmental Science and Technology (ES&T) building is 311 Ferst Drive, Atlanta, GA 30332. Directions and maps can be found here: http://www.eas.gatech.edu/school/fordbldg/

The students hope to see you there!

Yours sincerely,

The Metro Atlanta AMS/NWA Officers

President: Daniel Dix
Vice President: John Trostel
Treasurer: Sean Miller
Secretary: Chrissy Warrilow
Social Media: Mark Papier

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is our historic March snowstorm. I have heard a lot of people on here say not to worry about surface temps, sun angle, and ground temps in snowstorms as heavy precip rates will overcome it. Something tells me come next winter, those three features will come under a lot more scrutiny before events after 1/17, 2/16, and this storm. Once bitten, twice shy.

the problem with this storm was it's track. To those far enough away on the NW side of the ULL as it passed had no problems with sfc temps sun angle and ground temps. I mean seriously, are you implying sun angle played a role in DC not seeing as much snow? 

No I think you are wrong. 

We have just lacked a true source of cold air for the most part every single time with a poor track.

z50fKlk.png

Woah what the hell? Where is the damn snow? I thought DC was getting 12-18. Bust. No one should ever forecast again. I get excited when historic storms hit big cities. Now this is just a disaster.

Lol. What model had surface temps in the 40s fOR DC and all rain?

Mr. Sutherland's thoughts on that...

"My thoughts concerning the ongoing storm have proved wrong in DCA and IAD. A look at actual temperature profiles shows that the column from 850 mb to the surface was forecast to be too cool on both the GFS and NAM. The same holds true with respect to LGA. Hence, even as the 12z and 18z runs of the NAM are aggressive on snowfall potential for the metro NYC area, I believe the amounts being shown on the "clown maps" will likely be confined either to the circus or the realm of fantasy."

Mr. Sutherland's thoughts on that...

"My thoughts concerning the ongoing storm have proved wrong in DCA and IAD. A look at actual temperature profiles shows that the column from 850 mb to the surface was forecast to be too cool on both the GFS and NAM. The same holds true with respect to LGA. Hence, even as the 12z and 18z runs of the NAM are aggressive on snowfall potential for the metro NYC area, I believe the amounts being shown on the "clown maps" will likely be confined either to the circus or the realm of fantasy."

The models are terrible. You would think with all the upgrades and stuff this big of a bust wouldn't happen. The areas west of DC are even raining.

It seems wherever Cantore goes its a bust lol. Same thing when he was in Lincoln, NE.

Archived