Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bevo - I will tone down the PBP from here on out, let Burger handle it.  Why aren't you a mod yet??? 

BTW - you suck!   :lmao:

Awww come on pack - I made it a point to show respect to you and bean.  You guys just happened to be the ones in that particular string.  I was simply making a statement for the many readers who don't post much (or at all) that it can get confusing when there seems to be two completely different solutions being laid out, so try to read both with an understanding that we are all looking at the same data but probably interpret it a little differently - or have different philosophies as to where we take the data (bean is looking at it with a northern trend in mind based on climo - and quite honestly - history, etc...).

I will never be a mod.  Ever. Too much responsibility and time involved.

On a positive note - it's been a while since you told me I suck.  I'll call that progress and skip away now...

And just as an example - so I don't look like a complete ass - the following are exchanges from the same GFS run pbp:

This is going to destroy the MA.

850s are +6 in CLT ahead of the low.

@111 low looks to be passing over CAE! This could be a good run for us!

@117 from just west of Shelby to CLT is getting crushed. 

This is going to be an awesome run for the 85 corridor of NC and upstate SC. 

Slightly north of 6z position, but that's putting us even farther in debt, really. Puts the 850 low on the other side of the NC/SC line.

This can be confusing if you don't take into account that some of us do not call it verbatim (adding to the equation a logical conclusion based on climo for example), while some of us do.

And just as an example - so I don't look like a complete ass - the following are exchanges from the same GFS run pbp:

This can be confusing if you don't take into account that some of us do not call it verbatim (adding to the equation a logical conclusion based on climo for example), while some of us do.

I thought that was great, the glass half full versus empty play by play.  A wonderful roller coaster of emotion.  Exciting.  Hollywood's got nothing on the PBP! :)

I'm going to play the contrarian, Bevo.  I like all the multiple posts flying this way and that.  It's kind of exciting.  Over time, you learn different posters' styles and biases and adjust accordingly.  It's just part of the learning curve.  I had no idea what was happening several years ago, and I lurked in the shadows and read a lot.  Now, I have no problem sifting the many different responses through the lenses of the different posters.  It's all good, in my book.

I'm going to play the contrarian, Bevo.  I like all the multiple posts flying this way and that.  It's kind of exciting.  Over time, you learn different posters' styles and biases and adjust accordingly.  It's just part of the learning curve.  I had no idea what was happening several years ago, and I lurked in the shadows and read a lot.  Now, I have no problem sifting the many different responses through the lenses of the different posters.  It's all good, in my book.

Just to clarify, I never said they were wrong or that I disagreed.  That's why I made the statement that there are those who read these pbp strings and may be confused by it.  I don't expect it to stop, and never asked for it to stop.

It was an FYI to those reading two opposite conclusions to the same model run wondering what to think.  The seasoned members obviously get the difference, but there have already been responses in the discussion thread originating from the same frustration I used to have while reading those exchanges.

I would not expect these guys to stop doing what they do, nor would I want them to.

Just to clarify, I never said they were wrong or that I disagreed.  That's why I made the statement that there are those who read these pbp strings and may be confused by it.  I don't expect it to stop, and never asked for it to stop.

It was an FYI to those reading two opposite conclusions to the same model run wondering what to think.  The seasoned members obviously get the difference, but there have already been responses in the discussion thread originating from the same frustration I used to have while reading those exchanges.

I would not expect these guys to stop doing what they do, nor would I want them to.

All of them except for Brick!  He always comes in and says that he doesn't understand because one person says that the model is good while another says it's bad.  Poor Brick.

My PBP's are done, I purposely play the glass half empty side as some are way over the top with glass half full. I will continue to post and state the facts after the run is over though. I do agree with Bevo, for people that don't know others posting styles it gets very confusing, poor Brick was going crazy. If this storm is for real the red taggers will flock back this weekend and take over. Waiting eagerly for the Euro ENS.

My PBP's are done, I purposely play the glass half empty side as some are way over the top with glass half full. I will continue to post and state the facts after the run is over though. I do agree with Bevo, for people that don't know others posting styles it gets very confusing, poor Brick was going crazy. If this storm is for real the red taggers will flock back this weekend and take over. Waiting eagerly for the Euro ENS.

The bold is very true. 

Unfortunately, I think internet forums breed a defensive reading style for a lot of people.  I never said any of you were wrong, only that the different styles can lend to confusing outcomes.  So in other words, there was nothing to be contrarian about (Calculus - you and you're fancy words ^_^ ).

But it does get confusing when people are looking at the same model run and saying two completely different things about it.

No matter what the model shows some will say hammering blizzard. Seen it all this winter and they eat their words the next model run. A broken clock is right twice a day so maybe they will eventually get it.

Gotcha.  My bad in misunderstanding the original intent.

Please don't stop your PBP.  What you do is quite valuable, and we need the balance on this board.  Neither optimism nor pessimism is bad when it's defended with good reasons, as you, beanskip, and Burgertime tend to do.  When no rationale is given for either end of the emotional spectrum in the pattern thread, then we have issues, and I think jburns would agree with me on that note.

The bold is very true. 

Unfortunately, I think internet forums breed a defensive reading style for a lot of people.  I never said any of you were wrong, only that the different styles can lend to confusing outcomes.  So in other words, there was nothing to be contrarian about (Calculus - you and you're fancy words ^_^ ).

Apologies, again, fine sir.

But it does get confusing when people are looking at the same model run and saying two completely different things about it.

No, it shouldn't, if you look at the model output yourself and understand their reasoning.  Also, you should feel free to challenge a position that you disagree with, as long as you can provide reasons for your differences of opinion.

OK.  I now assume you favor:

A one party political system

Both teams wear the same uniform

Unisex clothing

Paper and plastic

All mods must be male  :devilsmiley:

All of the following words to be banned from weather forecasts.

Partly

Chance

Mostly

Range

Possible

Likely

Unlikely

Probability

Percent

Cone of uncertainty

Archived