• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 16th-17th Snow Observations

joey2002

other than that..it was EXACTLY the blizzard of 78.. 30-40 inches of snow..it was especially bad in the bigger cities..but even rural towns had to get heavy equipment..Plenty of folks were stranded..but fortunately we have technology now and everyone has an iphone etc  and was aware. Back then noone had a clue

No, it didnt come in like a wall of S+ either...two very important differences from '78. Wind was def a bit less too. Still an incredible storm...but it could have been worse, so in that sense, it was fortunate.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

other than that..it was EXACTLY the blizzard of 78.. 30-40 inches of snow..it was especially bad in the bigger cities..but even rural towns had to get heavy equipment..Plenty of folks were stranded..but fortunately we have technology now and everyone has an iphone etc and was aware. Back then noone had a clue

no no no no no

When we have the next 1978 the reported amounts will be enormous.  The changes in the way people measure, the number of people measuring and the overall reporting are enormous.  Harvey was very right in what he said, there hasn't been another storm in the 35 years since that came close to the duration, damage, winds and snow.  I've been in this same area throughout and nothing has come all that close.  97 was probably more intense for a shorter duration, 05 down here was pretty nasty too. 13 did more damage to the grid, but none have had that combination of winds, flooding, duration and snow.  Just look at places like Hull and Scituate.  Hull there were waves breaking on porches back by the ballfields.  Literally the ocean was back beyond the main drag.

But, when we have the next 78 we'll think we're prepared but there will highways closed for days.  Remember in 78 they had to use backhoes, front end loaders and graders to clear roads in the Stoughton, Randolph back to Cumberland RI areas.  Not even the heaviest of other plows could get it done.  I remember days afterwards my dad walking to the store with our neighbors in waist deep street snow. 

We will eventually get one of these 945-960mb lows to stall in the right spot and when it does I shudder to think about the coastal damage, grid damage and just overall how much it paralyzes the region. 

I really believe there was a large area of 40-45+" snows much like what you saw with that band in CT, but it lasted even longer in 78 and then on top of that the duration of the event was longer.    We just capture these bands better now because the density of the reporting network is so much greater.

Any idea why there weren't more power outages back in '78?  Seems like outages should've been widespread based on such high winds and heavy snow. 

other than that..it was EXACTLY the blizzard of 78.. 30-40 inches of snow..it was especially bad in the bigger cities..but even rural towns had to get heavy equipment..Plenty of folks were stranded..but fortunately we have technology now and everyone has an iphone etc  and was aware. Back then noone had a clue

It really wasn't exactly like '78. Winds were 10-20 knots less (at least) in 2013 here in CT. There was also less snow for sure in the state. There were 16 coop stations in CT that reported snow from 1978 and all of them are between 16.9" and 24.0". 

The good timing (overnight Friday into Saturday), the gradual start (as Will mentioned), the good forecast (people rely on forecasts much much more in 2013 than 1978), and the fact that so many more people have 4WD now than they did 35 years ago all made a big difference. The drifting in 1978 is what set it apart here in CT.

It wasn't '78 Kevin, you weenie.

At least here in CT they were comparable winter storms IMO. Less wind but more snow. Sort of balanced things out. Parts of the state were effectively shut down for 3 days in 2013 much like in '78. 

The widespread 50-70 m.p.h. gusts in 1978 whipped 18-24" of snow into wild drifts.

At least here in CT they were comparable winter storms IMO. Less wind but more snow. Sort of balanced things out. Parts of the state were effectively shut down for 3 days in 2013 much like in '78. 

The widespread 50-70 m.p.h. gusts in 1978 whipped 18-24" of snow into wild drifts.

I think the biggest difference here in CT was probably the timing and advanced warning. 

Everyone knew this was coming for days, and the worst of it hit late on Friday night instead of Monday rush hour. 

I think the biggest difference here in CT was probably the timing and advanced warning. 

Everyone knew this was coming for days, and the worst of it hit late on Friday night instead of Monday rush hour. 

Yeah I do think if this occurred midday on a weekday the result would have been much worse. 

Comparable to '78 is fair to say here in CT... less wind but more snow. And a heavy, wet snow in the hardest hit areas around New Haven.

Yeah I do think if this occurred midday on a weekday the result would have been much worse. 

Comparable to '78 is fair to say here in CT... less wind but more snow. And a heavy, wet snow in the hardest hit areas around New Haven.

Right, just referencing your previous paragraph of the differences. Coastal flooding too. I know Kevin just wants to believe he slant sticked his way to 35".

Right, just referencing your previous paragraph of the differences. Coastal flooding too. I know Kevin just wants to believe he slant sticked his way to 35".

lol no doubt.

Yeah coastal flooding is also a big difference as you guys mentioned. Here in CT '78 produced sig flooding too... it wasn't just in E Mass... 2013 barely produced splashover.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Sandy proved it to a degree. We think just because we can see it coming days in advance, that we're prepared for it. The country as a whole suffers from a lack of preparation when it comes to significant weather events.

not too many people know what's it like to experience a severe natural disaster. They are very rare...katrina type stuff, F5 tor, 1938, and even a blizzard '78 redux. People see it on the news but it's almost impossible to completely comprehend and have it hit home unless your life is nearly taken. Sure places like the wx channel, etc hypes systems...and people actually buy into it and go raid the grocery stores. Do they really believe that complete chaos and threat to life will ensue? Not really because it usually doesn't happen. Most people escaped Sandy unscathed. Power was out for a long time and gas lines were huge but overall that is an incovenience. If you werent at the coast nearly drowning in your house, then you probably don't really get it fully. it's hard to prepare for something we haven't experienced. Very few people have ever personally experienced true life threatening weather. When it comes someday, people will be unprepared and say they didn't get enough warning. But thankfully these are the rarest, top shelf events. Mother nature always wins when she wants to.

Even the 2008 Ice Storm was more of an inconvenience. Lots of tree damage, power out for a week, etc., but no one died, etc.

1978 cost 100 lives...coastal stuff was worse.

Coastal damage always leaves me in awe. There is something awe inspiring about seeing the same areas serene in the summer, but waves crashing over houses during severe storms. You have to see it and feel it to understand.

Another huge difference between 78 and 13 was back in 78 the public had a blown forecast fresh in their minds and a couple weeks earlier we had a 20 incher. Today I hear a lot of the stations saying how great their met/mets at the time forecasted the storm but if you stayed up for the 11 pm news Sunday night, which I did, none of them were calling for a big storm at that time, they were all saying we were going to be clipped by it and they had my area in 2-4/3-6 depending on the station. Thats probably the last forecast most of the public heard before going off to work Mon morning. I think most people were probably thinking even if they're wrong and it hits, whats it going to be, another 20 incher, no problem we just had one. No one imagined the magnitude of what that storm was.

For those comparing it to '78...

How long was CT shut down for in 2013? and how long was MA shut down in '78?

There's your answer. Its really no contest when you take everything as whole. January 2005 Blizzard on the Cape, that was the closest to blizzard of '78.

not too many people know what's it like to experience a severe natural disaster. They are very rare...katrina type stuff, F5 tor, 1938, and even a blizzard '78 redux. People see it on the news but it's almost impossible to completely comprehend and have it hit home unless your life is nearly taken. Sure places like the wx channel, etc hypes systems...and people actually buy into it and go raid the grocery stores. Do they really believe that complete chaos and threat to life will ensue? Not really because it usually doesn't happen. Most people escaped Sandy unscathed. Power was out for a long time and gas lines were huge but overall that is an incovenience. If you werent at the coast nearly drowning in your house, then you probably don't really get it fully. it's hard to prepare for something we haven't experienced. Very few people have ever personally experienced true life threatening weather. When it comes someday, people will be unprepared and say they didn't get enough warning. But thankfully these are the rarest, top shelf events. Mother nature always wins when she wants to.

AKA G-D ;) .

How long was CT shut down for in 2013? and how long was MA shut down in '78?

There's your answer. Its really no contest when you take everything as whole. January 2005 Blizzard on the Cape, that was the closest to blizzard of '78.

Jan 2005 on the Cape made Tolland's snow last weekend look like an Alberta Clipper.

Awesome winter night, just classic, drift hunting the way to work in the AM, hopefully DPW has not got to them.

How much snow did you get Ginxy? I saw your post where you said there was nice drifting. I got a little over an inch and the paths I snow blowed around the house are all filled in from the wind. I was hoping for at least 3-4 inches, would have been great with the wind.

How much snow did you get Ginxy? I saw your post where you said there was nice drifting. I got a little over an inch and the paths I snow blowed around the house are all filled in from the wind. I was hoping for at least 3-4 inches, would have been great with the wind.
2.5 the farm fields on the the hill in Sterling had 3.5 from what I was told.. I have pics from 09 there where a 2 inch snow was blown across the 1/2 mile wide field into 4-6 foot drifts.

How long was CT shut down for in 2013? and how long was MA shut down in '78?

Not really comparing 78 in MA to 2013 in CT. The comparison was just a CT one.

2.5 the farm fields on the the hill in Sterling had 3.5 from what I was told.. I have pics from 09 there where a 2 inch snow was blown across the 1/2 mile wide field into 4-6 foot drifts.

Even here, where we only received a dusting, there were mini drifts across the state highway near me. Pretty cool. Lots of snownados

Archived