Newest Member
    Monty
February 16th-17th Snow Observations

joey2002

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Facebook_compare_09Feb13_17Feb13_lowcenters.png

Not only is the satellite textbook, it's nearly identical to the blizzard last week. A world of difference though in how the two low pressures arrived at this position.

Can we get a trifecta?

The winds are.the story here. That little dusting is blowing around like crazy

idk multiple reports all about the same 6-7 seems max.

In the BOS area and into PYM county and Essex probably 6 maybe 7, but the 3-4" amounts are low. It was coming down hard, but as I look out the window at work...it's like where did the snow blow too? LOL, the old snow was hard and the new stuff just blew away.

Wow, impressive.  What did you guys end up getting from the blizzard up there last weekend?

Got 16" from that storm in two parts. Had the dry slot from hell.

Down to 958mb at my place. Center is just passing by to my south. Had a T&L shower move through a few minutes ago with some sizable IP or Hail.

Got 16" from that storm in two parts. Had the dry slot from hell.

Down to 958mb at my place. Center is just passing by to my south. Had a T&L shower move through a few minutes ago with some sizable IP or Hail.

For what it's worth, convection looks like it's wrapping around the center. Cyclone phase diagrams for the GFS/GEM/Ukie agree that it has taken on some warm core characteristics, and may briefly touch symmetric warm core.

38.phase1.png

Again, too low. You don't have hours of 1/2sm and 1/4sm with 3.5". Although they were just SW of the good bands.

I dunno, I see that at the mountain a lot if we have fluffy snow and high winds.  It can snow hard with 1/4sm visibility for hours in squalls and only end up with a couple inches.  Especially if its generally higher ratio stuff to begin with and good dendrites that are effective in lowering visibility.  But once those things get on the ground and blow around, the flakes that were reducing visibility so efficiently get absolutely crushed.

I'm not sure I would say its too low, but just that if the wind wasn't there amounts probably would've been double.  But it was there and you're left with 3-6 inches instead of 6-12".

Dendrites were beautiful actually. Last week was a destroyer.

Yeah they were great here. That's Blue Hills official report so have to go with it. Most of my immediate are reported 2.5-3. 0, reports seem pretty uniform, everybody can not be low, some folks are not as wind prone. Even with lt snow this AM visibility was under 1/2 here. I think reports are pretty good representation.

Archived