Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am hoping euro will trend or come on target for pd3 today. There was some other storms as we approach march. Once the pattern breaks down, spring is in the air

After next week, we may be done.  Not that this winter ever really got going.  Everything is riding on the weekend storm, and the chance of a storm next week.

there are still a fair amount of 6z ensemble members that are exciting but not as many as 00z. If there is no storm by 00z tonight...it might be punt time again

You don't punt a setup like this when its still more then 3 days away.  If we get inside 72 hours, the energy for the storm is over well sampled areas and we still see no model movement towards a storm, THEN it might be time to call out the special teams.  You don't punt just because its 3rd and 10. 

After next week, we may be done.  Not that this winter ever really got going.  Everything is riding on the weekend storm, and the chance of a storm next week.

Agreed, the MJO is trucking again, so we have about a 10 day window now, then it gets into phase 4 and were toast.  I think we still have a legit chance this weekend, then we have one and perhaps two chances following it next week.  If the MJO really continues to fly we might get one last hail mary shot at snow mid March, but climo argues that would be more for areas NW of the cities. 

Wasn't really talking about the depth of the trough. I think many times the models overplay that and wouldn't be surprised to see them draw back a little on that as we get closer. I was referring more to the fact that the trough is a little sharper and not as broad with what looks to be slightly better heights building in under the 50/50. All in all I am just looking for some possible signs towards a solution that brings it up the coast but I do agree at this time they look more like fish storms which makes the 00Z result even more surprising.

Edit: Of course thinking about it for a moment these things I am seeing might be more a function of the 6 hour lag between frames.

A lot of it does have to do with the 6 hour differential.  Furthermore, having a nice trough position does not always help if the sw that develops the storm is not rounding the base of the trough at the correct time.  You need it to be in synce.  0z was, 6z not so much.  There are still several members that develop a storm, so I am not punting but it was a definite step back from 0z.  0z was about as strong a storm signal as you will ever see on an ensemble at that range.  Plus, looking at one point in time is not going to give you the whole picture either.  It might look great in a vacume but when you see how it evolves something pushes the trough too far east or suppresses the vort and it goes wrong from there.  I know I posted a snapshot in my earlier response last night to the 0z GEFS but that was because someone had already posted the end result and I was simply adding the upper level support for why we saw that result.  The trough on the 6z is a little too progressive, shifts east a bit too much and the storm ends up OTS.  The 0z was less progressive, the trough stalled out more and allowed the system to amplify. 

Agreed, the MJO is trucking again, so we have about a 10 day window now, then it gets into phase 4 and were toast.  I think we still have a legit chance this weekend, then we have one and perhaps two chances following it next week.  If the MJO really continues to fly we might get one last hail mary shot at snow mid March, but climo argues that would be more for areas NW of the cities. 

Can you tell me if the picked up pace of the MJO progression has a chance of stalling?

A lot of it does have to do with the 6 hour differential.  Furthermore, having a nice trough position does not always help if the sw that develops the storm is not rounding the base of the trough at the correct time.  You need it to be in synce.  0z was, 6z not so much.  There are still several members that develop a storm, so I am not punting but it was a definite step back from 0z.  0z was about as strong a storm signal as you will ever see on an ensemble at that range.  Plus, looking at one point in time is not going to give you the whole picture either.  It might look great in a vacume but when you see how it evolves something pushes the trough too far east or suppresses the vort and it goes wrong from there.  I know I posted a snapshot in my earlier response last night to the 0z GEFS but that was because someone had already posted the end result and I was simply adding the upper level support for why we saw that result.  The trough on the 6z is a little too progressive, shifts east a bit too much and the storm ends up OTS.  The 0z was less progressive, the trough stalled out more and allowed the system to amplify. 

Lets not forget that the models can't resolve sw placement very well inside of 84 let alone 100+. Won't take much of a sw either. Even a modest piece at the right time will get spinning really easy at the bottom of a trough like this. And the gulf is open for biz. 

My gut say we get multiple runs of interesting looks going forward but none can be deposited in the bank until we're inside of 84ish. 

Can you tell me if the picked up pace of the MJO progression has a chance of stalling?

Use this link. Has phase diagrams for all the globals and a few things I've never heard of before. MJO is tricky. Skill is usually so so at best. However, if you check all the globals and ens, they all briskly move it through 1-2-3-4. I would say the odds favor it continuing. 

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml

It's not a bible though. Moving through the unfavorable phases is far from a lock of warm. Plus, the strength of the signal is important. It's not all that strong as progged. Things like a -nao can trump the mjo expected condition very easily. La La land gfs keeps showing the best -nao of the winter coming up in 10+ days. Who knows. 

Thanks for your informative response. Quick question. I have been under the impression that generally a sharper through gives you a little more leeway on the timing of these shortwaves as well as better amplification as opposed to a broader trough. I am curious if this is correct.

I'll take my chances with this and not worry about the mjo. I've watched more polar loops @ 500 this year than seinfeld episodes. The -nao has been showing over and over again for over a week. The signal keeps getting stronger. The nao is a tricky beast to forecast. A good -nao can pop up at relatively short leads. LR guidance is suspect at best but it's been consistent enough to pay attention to. 

Use this link. Has phase diagrams for all the globals and a few things I've never heard of before. MJO is tricky. Skill is usually so so at best. However, if you check all the globals and ens, they all briskly move it through 1-2-3-4. I would say the odds favor it continuing. 

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml

It's not a bible though. Moving through the unfavorable phases is far from a lock of warm. Plus, the strength of the signal is important. It's not all that strong as progged. Things like a -nao can trump the mjo expected condition very easily. La La land gfs keeps showing the best -nao of the winter coming up in 10+ days. Who knows. 

Thanks Bob. I remember when MJO was not moving as quickly as we would have liked or expected earlier this winter and now, like, it is truckin'. QVectorman was pretty articulate in his analysis of MJO phasing. My eyes will be tested, though, looking at the maps.

But we do have -NAO on our side, god bless it.

In this crappy winter the VD storm is the best we are going to do. Flawed, mixed POS "event." Looking past those little turd storms for the big one has not worked at all.

feels like a nina winter whatever it is

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the energy hitting the nw is pushing the trough along (unfavorably) and not letting things amp up like we were hoping. Is this a fair assessment? 

Seems fair.  Probably would have liked to see the energy dig further south and pop the western ridge rather than just blowing through.  The spacing just seems to be too tight right now.

Gorgeous setup at 153.  +PNA, two s/w's with phase potential, big 50/50, negative or neutral NAO...Let's see how it goes all to hell.  

I'm glad you said it. At the very least the cutter will probably be close to a runner. Baby steps. 

Gonna cut it to Detroit Cleveland.  Wouldn't be so funny if it wasn't true.  

Thanks for your informative response. Quick question. I have been under the impression that generally a sharper through gives you a little more leeway on the timing of these shortwaves as well as better amplification as opposed to a broader trough. I am curious if this is correct.

that is a generalization but sharper is usually better, but there are so many moving parts in the equation its not just one thing.  Timing is a huge issue, if you get a nice vort into the trough at the right time, it will amplify and the trough will sharper up.  Of course if it goes negative too soon...cutter, of course unless you have a really good -NAO block... see it just depends.  What you want from each of those independent factors depends to a large degree on the others.  Lots of moving parts that have to come together in the right way.  There is no simple answer.  But if you want to simplify it to a few things we need to see to know the setup has promise, the trough has to dig to at least south of our latitude, you want the h5 vort to track to your south, and you generally want the ridge axis out west to be somewhere around the great basin.  Those 3 at least set us up to have a chance.  Of course a -NAO and good cold air source help and a million other meso scale things like the timing of the sw's and all end up deciding the final outcome.  We can have the perfect setup, +PNA, -NAO, perfect ridge and trough position, and not get anything if the timing is off. 

Archived