Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you think what Dec and most of Jan brought this has been a remarkable turn around, likely most dramatic since 2006-07.  What we wait on the time is some further west. It almost looks like even if it went right over Ocean City, Md that it would still be cold enough so temps dont look like the issue. 

What about the Euro....is that where you want it? Not being coy...just asking.

MDstorm

Of course not but honestly it's had a horrible year. Been very inconsistent and lost at times. Furthermore it's really not that far off. It's just not putting it all together but the setup is there. It's no lock its always a long shot but we do have a chance at a significant system. Details at this range are useless.

Of course not but honestly it's had a horrible year. Been very inconsistent and lost at times. Furthermore it's really not that far off. It's just not putting it all together but the setup is there. It's no lock its always a long shot but we do have a chance at a significant system. Details at this range are useless.

Yea, the euro isn't far from the gfs @ 500. And the beauty of such a sharp trough (if it verifies) is that even some harmless piece of energy coming down the back will naturally spin up at the base with little effort. The ul energy on the gfs is barely anything. If the trough wasn't so amped nothing would even come of it for the most part. 

Give us the setup and take our chances. I think the more interesting part as well is timing. Too early and it runs the apps (or worse) and too late and it clobbers a freighter in the n atl. But there is a decent sized window of time as the trough shifts slowly westward. 

GFS is going to kill our nerves. It's already clear that it's probably going to run some energy down the back of the trough each run. Every change in timing = a different result. This place is going to be epically happy and in dark despair every 6 hours. Would be nice to see the euro do something but my gut says it starts picking up on some of the same stuff the gfs is tomorrow sometime. Maybe tonight. Who knows. 

Yea, the euro isn't far from the gfs @ 500. And the beauty of such a sharp trough (if it verifies) is that even some harmless piece of energy coming down the back will naturally spin up at the base with little effort. The ul energy on the gfs is barely anything. If the trough wasn't so amped nothing would even come of it for the most part. 

Give us the setup and take our chances. I think the more interesting part as well is timing. Too early and it runs the apps (or worse) and too late and it clobbers a freighter in the n atl. But there is a decent sized window of time as the trough shifts slowly westward. 

GFS is going to kill our nerves. It's already clear that it's probably going to run some energy down the back of the trough each run. Every change in timing = a different result. This place is going to be epically happy and in dark despair every 6 hours. Would be nice to see the euro do something but my gut says it starts picking up on some of the same stuff the gfs is tomorrow sometime. Maybe tonight. Who knows. 

I have liked the signal for that time period for a long time. The trough is finally deep enough and in the right spot. It doesn't always work out but the setup is good and we have a real shot. I'm not going to get too high or low over model runs until we're into the 72 hour range. That's when I would like to see the right trends start to emerge.

i just wrote ncep and asked them to expand the NAM to 384

LOL...first of all, you can't trust the NAM after day 2 (60 hrs), let alone out to 384. Secondly, the extension of the NAM is essentially what the DGEX is, with the GFS supplying the grid boundary conditions.

Sort of related, the parallel NAM (online) has been a significant improvement over the operational version. EMC folks are telling me the switch to the new NAM may be sooner than later. Can't be a minute too soon! :-)

LOL...first of all, you can't trust the NAM after day 2 (60 hrs), let alone out to 384. Secondly, the extension of the NAM is essentially what the DGEX is, with the GFS supplying the grid boundary conditions.

Sort of related, the parallel NAM (online) has been a significant improvement over the operational version. EMC folks are telling me the switch to the new NAM may be sooner than later. Can't be a minute too soon! :-)

Is the parallel available?

There's really a parallel NAM?

Yes. Much in the same way as the parallel GFS earlier last year before it became operational. I didn't look at it much at work today (busier focusing on the operational runs), but I did notice from the QPF progs that thd parallel NAM wasn't as robust with precip over our area for the 2/13 system compared to the operational run.

I will see if I can post a link tomorrow if it is available for the public..

Archived