• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

And the giant 1010mb low spawns a 991mb low east of the benchmark at 216.  Looks like a Miller B that misses us but (*fingers crossed!!*) gives SNE some much needed snow.  

Probs we get pity flurries while SNE gets to add to the spring snowpack at 240 hr.  

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the giant 1010mb low spawns a 991mb low east of the benchmark at 216.  Looks like a Miller B that misses us but (*fingers crossed!!*) gives SNE some much needed snow.  

Probs we get pity flurries while SNE gets to add to the spring snowpack at 240 hr.  

yea the euro and gfs have had different solutions for the last few days, with the Euro having more seperation between the 2 waves and the new england low being less inhibiting, the GFS has been advertising that the New ENgland low would bomb and sit there and dominate, and the next wave would basically get absorbed and eventually redevelop another low off SE New ENgland.  Today the models are converging on the GFS scenario.  I still think our best chance is the following 2 waves after the March 1-2 system.  Hopefully as that system over New England finally relaxes and moves out, we get something to amplify behind it during that window of opportunity. 

To be honest, I'm almost afraid to post in the Mid Atlantic forum because of how desperate the snow fans have become. I'm nervous to say it but I still think there is a 2007-like signal showing up Friday afternoon for N VA-MD-DC. It's not quite the same strength and doesn't have the same amount of moisture, but there is a shot of decent VVs/snow growth during the afternoon before the profiles warm aloft. Also, the low levels would wet bulb down during the snow to allow for some accumulation. If you just glanced at Friday, you would think it's no big deal...and maybe that's right. But the GFS/NAM continue to suggest a possible quick shot of accumulating wet snow down there, IMO.

I love the Mount Laurel split on the models right now, haha... then northern suburbs benefit with the developing coastal possibly.

Timing is sort of important (I guess it can't be as slow as the very wrong NAM solution) but what's more important here are the VVs. I think if we develop a nice band of mid level VVs with marginal profiles, it would come down as mostly snow before any warm up aloft. I'm not worried about the low levels with this one.

The dews should be low still with this last piece of arctic air coming in today/preceding it, and youll be happy to hear the shot comes in between 12z and 18z friday on this euro run...its a modest 0.1-0.2" qpf shot verbatim, but its there nonetheless...it dies before reaching further northeast towards you (naturally)

Maybe we actually have an outside chance of breaking our 2" streak Friday. Even a nice 1-1.5" that actually sticks on the roads would be sweet.

I never wrote off the friday event. I haven't been all jacked up about it but the departing hp starts things off right. All comes down to how much moisture can be pushed into it. There's going to be a lot of hallucinations tomorrow night and friday morning. There will be some nice returns in the southern ohv and even nicer ones further south prior to the precip getting here.

Perhaps another indication not to invest much energy in day 7+ computer solutions?

The solution in and of itself is not a reason to not invest in medium/long range progs...as chris87 and dtk remind us, if a model shows a solution, it is physically possible.  But, as we all know, medium/long range progs should be used for generalities, not specifics.  

Maybe we actually have an outside chance of breaking our 2" streak Friday. Even a nice 1-1.5" that actually sticks on the roads would be sweet.

Now that I look back, my personal IMBY streak is over 2 years for a 1.5" (!) event.  Just pathetic.   

Now that I look back, my personal IMBY streak is over 2 years for a 1.5" (!) event.  Just pathetic.   

You got me looking at my own climo.  Other than the brutal streak, the thing that is striking about the last three winters is just how awful February, our top snow month, has been.

My obs:

Feb '11: 0.3"

Feb '12: 0.3"

Feb '13: 0.6"

Even without as much backside energy the EURO still tries to develop some kind of weird low Day 9-10...Just imagine if it actually had stronger energy coming out like its previous runs. 

I still would keep an eye out on the Early March 1-2 storm because while we have that rotting ULL over the Lakes we have a strong black and +PNA forming which together could almost force this storm to form. It's the reason why some model runs have that ULL pinwheeling back around. 

It's so frustrating to read about the possibility of coastal development and it being rain.

It makes me sick to my stomach knowing mostly rain from a coastal in February.  Maybe we can get a little front end love.  We'll see. BTW--The P (Plato) Storm should have been named Pleeplus (DME--a great show)

It makes me sick to my stomach knowing mostly rain from a coastal in February.  Maybe we can get a little front end love.  We'll see. BTW--The P (Plato) Storm should have been named Pleeplus (DME--a great show)

I've tried hard not to complain here because I'm a believer in never letting anyone see you suffer, but we've already had a couple of situations this year where we had the track but not the cold air.  We need a forced reboot.

If Steve McKenna was in charge of snow, we'd be up to our necks.

Don't let 1 bad run of the euro mess with your mind. This storm is still 1 week away and a lot can happen. Mitch, this forum needs you to turn into a glass half full kind of guy for the next 2 weeks.

you know life is good when the only thing you have to complain about is the weather

I'm done with this winter

it wasn't our year, maybe next year

c'est la vie

you know life is good when the only thing you have to complain about is the weather

I'm done with this winter

it wasn't our year, maybe next year

c'est la vie

Well, the pattern is active, messy, and blocky. At least there's a lot of ways to accidentally get some snow. I'm going even odds on a 2"+ event for some of us or a virtual shutout between now and march 10th. The models may want to make us cry with gl lows and wasted coastals but you can't deny the blocking and consistent nice placements of hp's in se canada. LR guessing isn't worth it anyway. Just 5 days ago the Friday storm was a 3-6 front end pasting. Even the beloved euro said it was.

Well, the pattern is active, messy, and blocky. At least there's a lot of ways to accidentally get some snow. I'm going even odds on a 2"+ event for some of us or a virtual shutout between now and march 10th. The models may want to make us cry with gl lows and wasted coastals but you can't deny the blocking and consistent nice placements of hp's in se canada. LR guessing isn't worth it anyway. Just 5 days ago the Friday storm was a 3-6 front end pasting. Even the beloved euro said it was.

I still think Fri/ Sat is going to be something.....maybe not snow, but some winter wx of some kind

That's about DC climo odds from here.. tho it drops like a rock the next week. Of course mount Dulles can get heavy snow into May.

Ok some fun facts headed into march. Good news... Bwi has recorded 5"+ 42 times in 130 years. 32% prob. 10"+ 18 times. 14% prob. 20" 4 times. Also 1960 is showing up in the analogs and that was one of the 20" cases. Stop reading here is u want to have hope

Bad news.... Of those 18 times bwi had 10" in march only one since 1964. Before 1964 17 times in 81 years or 21%. After 1 in 49 years. April snows bwi had over an inch 11 times from 1888 to 1945 and not once since. Obviously our march April snow climo has changed for the worse.

Archived