Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW...Ukie has a GFS-like monster for PD3 and GGEM has a huge storm too, but an inland runner.  Euro on the weak/north side of the guidance, but certainly a possible solution given about 1/3rd of the GEFS members had a similar solution.  

The GFS type solution more often than not doesn't pan out on these type of systems but with the UKMET firmly in the GFS corner, I think either solution is probably equally likely.  Sometimes it pays to be gutless.

When you start talking like that it scares me, your track record sometimes is ,well, just is.

Watch out Norman, when I bring the trolling hammer down on you, there will be no mercy.

You got some nerve trolling me. You can't even nail down a storm 136 hours out. You sure you used to work for HPC?

DT going ape**** over a model that tends to overdevelop east coast storms. The UK is pretty to look at tho. We all should be extrapolating the NAM around this time tomorrow!

DT likes to get the FB people all frothy

I don't understand it...especially this far out....especially with the UKMET. Then tomorrow (or tonight), he'll have to let them down hard. He's still waaaay better than Wes Junker though.

Is Wes that old weekend guy from Channel 2 in Baltimore. That guy was such a snow weenie.

DT going ape**** over a model that tends to overdevelop east coast storms. The UK is pretty to look at tho. We all should be extrapolating the NAM around this time tomorrow!

"if" i was a meteorologist, i wouldn't focus on details this far out.  i'd look at the overall setup.  i think that's what separates the contenders and the pretenders when it comes to forecasting.  the prize fighters are better at judging the overall pattern instead of weenie'ing over each model run.  takes a lot of patience.

Watch out Norman, when I bring the trolling hammer down on you, there will be no mercy.

You got some nerve trolling me. You can't even nail down a storm 136 hours out. You sure you used to work for HPC?

:lol:

and then different groups on FB use his page for weather on their page and say OMg go to the grocery store huge storm coming this weekend, in this case someone used his 12z gfs graphics. :axe: 

I think most of us understand its a long shot, even if all the models had a storm at this point it would still be at best a 50/50 proposition.  BUT...we have had 2 years of just crap to look at, and we have 2 models with a nice hit, one is an inland runner and one is OTS...its a chance, maybe low percentage but a real chance at a significant event and I think its worth of some excitement as long as we undertand its still more likely to miss then hit. 

Sometimes, looking through the KU book at all the near misses where everything was lined up good, moster high in new england, -NAO, +PNA, miller a moster STJ system out of the gulf and somehow we still get screwed by either a primary up west of us or just too far east of us or develops too late to really get us hard.  There are so many ways for these things to go wrong even when the setup is right.  Its like a golf swing, 100 moving parts and if any one of them goes wrong, its all crap.  I like the setup, its got a chance, and thats all we can ever really say at 100 hours out. 

I dont like any threat for our latitude that is a late developer that requires a timed phase...they usually trend north and develop too late or go OTS

we need an overrunning component...1/25/00's are extremely rare

True, because the general bias of the models tends to be to place h5 features too far south at 72 hours plus, and also to phase too quickly.  Often times as we get closer the meso scale things that can make a clean phase tricky and messy start to show up and the models pick up on it, and thus we see the correction "north" with the impact. 

I don't understand it...especially this far out....especially with the UKMET. Then tomorrow (or tonight), he'll have to let them down hard. He's still waaaay better than Wes Junker though.

Lol,  certainly in his own mind, and probably in the minds of most here until I actually get excited about a storm threat. Then you'll all love me again. 

I dont like any threat for our latitude that is a late developer that requires a timed phase...they usually trend north and develop too late or go OTS

we need an overrunning component...1/25/00's are extremely rare

I pretty much agree. They are rare birds. I'd be ready to almost punt it except that the UKMET also has it and it's not a bad model. 

We can do well with phased solutions but we need the northern branch to be digging in, slowing down, and for the phase to begin well south of our lattitude.  These screaming west to east lakes vorts phasing off the mid atlantic coast are a lost cause for us usually.  We need a northern system that is digging down the west side of a trough and phases into a STJ system.  Those are our big dogs. 

Archived