• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

The PAC getting out of the sh**ter is real I think beyond 2/28...the big question with any storm (aside from the obvious detail of the track) will be how far south cold air is available. The NAO blocking should be stout as well.

Thanks Will for your input. It looks like precip will not be a problem down here, but temps will be the real issue. It is a shame (esp with the upcoming negative NAO)that the real cold air is on the other side of the pole. You seem to be in the cross hairs of a potentially very snowy pattern over the next 2-4 weeks.....really taking advantage of both your longitude and latitude. Throw a little this way if you can.

MDstorm

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Will for your input. It looks like precip will not be a problem down here, but temps will be the real issue. It is a shame (esp with the upcoming negative NAO)that the real cold air is on the other side of the pole. You seem to be in the cross hairs of a potentially very snowy pattern over the next 2-4 weeks.....really taking advantage of both your longitude and latitude. Throw a little this way if you can.

MDstorm

Yes I agree. Should be fairly wet over the next 2-3 weeks. Southern stream very active.

not sure about the ~2/28 threat...I assume it will cut or fizzle out, but it could be real if the PNA spikes quick enough....I'd say for my backyard between now and 3/10, there is about an 80% I will get 0-2" and 20" >2"

I agree with will and PSU, the pattern starts looking really interesting from around  28th on with the torugh getting in a good place in the pacific,  ridging along the west coast and high heights across canada and greenland.  I think you are too low with your 2" probability.  It's a pretty good pattern.  Too bad it waiting until March to show up.  When the ridging gets back to into the west,  we probably will also have some modestly cold air to work with. 

The pattern starts looking really interesting from around  28th on with the torugh getting in a good place in the pacific,  ridging along the west coast and high heights across canada and greenland.  I think you are too low with your 2" probability.  It's a pretty good pattern.  Too bad it waiting until March to show up.  When the ridging gets back to into the west,  we probably will also have some modestly cold air to work with. 

:o Wes likes the pattern <3

The PAC getting out of the sh**ter is real I think beyond 2/28...the big question with any storm (aside from the obvious detail of the track) will be how far south cold air is available. The NAO blocking should be stout as well.

After giving it some further thought, perhaps the deepest cold beong on the other side of the pole may not be that bad. The amount of cold is always a concern for us down here but if the NAO goes severly negative and stays there for an extended period time there should still be enough cold left to give us a decent chance whereas if the deepest cold was on our side of the pole with such a strong block and good Pacific all the cold would be forced under the block potentially suppressing the storm track and overwhelming the pattern with cold leaving us high and dry. I'll take my chances withe a negative NAO and good Pacific and let the chips fall where they may. I hope this is a distinct possibilty rather than me just wishcasting in desperate times.

I agree with will and PSU, the pattern starts looking really interesting from around  28th on with the torugh getting in a good place in the pacific,  ridging along the west coast and high heights across canada and greenland.  I think you are too low with your 2" probability.  It's a pretty good pattern.  Too bad it waiting until March to show up.  When the ridging gets back to into the west,  we probably will also have some modestly cold air to work with. 

I hope you're right...I think me and you really lose realistic chances after 3/10....I haven't gotten a 2" storm after March 9th since 1993

Well that is basically the same position the Ravens were in at Denver. I guess its to much to ask for to have 2 miracles within 2 months. I too agree with the window in early March but the amount of available cold is worrisome .Its funny you referenced the 58 storm because I was just thinking about that the other day. I would have loved to experience that storm. Can you imagine almost 30 inches of heavy wet snow in March in northern MD. I read that some areas in southern PA got 4ft. The same rates we had here the other night for 1 hour lasted for hours on end.

Westminster did record 30" some reports from our area were close to 40. 50" in southeast pa.

I hope you're right...I think me and you really lose realistic chances after 3/10....I haven't gotten a 2" storm after March 9th since 1993

This pattern looks really good but you are right realistically it's coming at the tail end of when it has any chance of mattering for dc. Luckily it looks like you have a solid 10 days and several waves that could get that one fluke to break our streak.

WOW. Ji & others vets (ji especially, I'll never forget you & Noreaster posting model updates leading up to that storm)...I CANT be the only one who noticed this, can I?! ......

Tonight's 00z GFS @ 204-264 hours looks so similar to March 4-6 2001 it's freaking scary. As Ji would say as well the storm may be 10 days out, but the setup starts around Day 7;)

March 4-6 2001 500mb:

post-8091-0-93009400-1361248874_thumb.gi

Tonight's 00z GFS;

post-8091-0-07797800-1361248896_thumb.gi

post-8091-0-09659200-1361248951_thumb.gi

If I may say frankly, lolz for looking at the analogs for a 228 hr GFS. Grasping for every straw we can... :cry:

To be fair a lot of mets are liking the long range ENSEMBLES and how the pattern offers possibly the best potential of the year. Now, I understand it's far out, but its realistically the closest chance for snow because all the storms before the 28th probably won't take the right track/have enough cold air. 

I simply was astounded how strikingly similar the 500mb on the 00z GFS was to March 4-6 2001. I mean it was practically identical, almost as close as can be. 

I love the long range talk on what might go right, but the 6z was a primer on one of the many things that can go wrong, aside from what mdsnowlover pointed out, that run brings significant cold into the area and crushes any possible threats in the March 1-6 range to roughly Cuba. Cold and dry for early March would be a swift kick to the jewels.

ETA: Not at all saying it as depicted is "right" nor saying it is "wrong", just noting that run shows a solution that would explain how we could maintain the current streak of futility.  

Archived