• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

Credible PhD from MIT...here's hoping you do have many decades ahead to shovel snow...just remember to lift with your legs :snowing:

well thank you for that comment, I hope so too, I skii and play tennis now, so I,m in fairly good shape. But you never know. I appreciate things right now. But the comment I posted on was not encouraging at all. Thanks again. I dont shovel snow anymore, I have a torro snow blower.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's always model that shows us what we want. You just have to look hard sometimes. Ji is the supreme master.

Looking forward to posting the living crap out of your thread in a couple months. It might get really bad after Ian bans me from severe threads

well, I stand by what I said to Matt a couple of months ago and that is, since 1950 every 3 yr. combo of 2 NINA's and then a NADA have been followed by a NINO, so even though we're only talking like 3 such setups during that period, those are still pretty good odds

well thank you for that comment, I hope so too, I skii and play tennis now, so I,m in fairly good shape. But you never know. I appreciate things right now. But the comment I posted on was not encouraging at all. Thanks again. I dont shovel snow anymore, I have a torro snow blower.

Well's here to many more days on the slopes with natural snow...instead of that machine made stuff they call snow. 

well, I stand by what I said to Matt a couple of months ago and that is, since 1950 every 3 yr. combo of 2 NINA's and then a NADA have been followed by a NINO, so even though we're only talking like 3 such setups during that period, those are still pretty good odds

I really hope that you are right, but a lot of the longer range ENSO models look to continue neutral conditions into next winter.  I know that the skill at that range is not good, but that's the way it looks now.  I'm not sure how a neutral following a neutral following 2 NINA's would go, but I suspect, not well.  Another winter like this past one would be insufferable.  Let's hope we see a gradual warming on the models as we get into spring/early summer.

MDstorm

I really hope that you are right, but a lot of the longer range ENSO models look to continue neutral conditions into next winter. I know that the skill at that range is not good, but that's the way it looks now. I'm not sure how a neutral following a neutral following 2 NINA's would go, but I suspect, not well. Another winter like this past one would be insufferable. Let's hope we see a gradual warming on the models as we get into spring/early summer.

MDstorm

After last fall forecasts we probably want the models to show a Nina :P

Euro looks meh. Tho it does have the weekend coastal that gives us some rain.

Then we have another cutter.  The D+11 pattern on the superens mean looks the best its looked all year from us across the Atlantic but the Pacific side with the big negative anomaly over Alaska suggests that even if we get a southern storm track towards the 1st of the year, we might still struggle to have cold enough low level temps to get snow.  It really likes March 2010 which I think was not that good for us despite having a negative NAO.  Still, it's a better pattern than we've seen most of the winter. 

Then we have another cutter.  The D+7 pattern on the superens mean looks the best its looked all year from us across the Atlantic but the Pacific side with the big negative anomaly over Alaska suggests that even if we get a southern storm track towards the 1st of the year, we might still struggle to have cold enough low level temps to get snow.  It really likes March 2010 which I think was not that good for us despite having a negative NAO.  Still, it's a better pattern than we've seen most of the winter. 

euro has a big ole 500 low over the sw late but it also has the lakes vortex kinda just chillin. i don't believe in march snow. :P

lakes low does start to push east by 240 with nice ull near tx ph. my guess is it will cut or shear out. ;)

man.. lots of qpf for the plains in this pattern on models. please please please! :

Here we go...first stage of the cycle I posted restarted.

actually I thought D+11 and typed D+7 and if you read it in detail, the pacific is terrible, it just that the model looks like we would get a storm track to our south but then would struggle with cold air.  Still, not a totally horrid pattern.

actually I thought D+11 and typed D+7 and if you read it in detail, the pacific is terrible, it just that the model looks like we would get a storm track to our south but then would struggle with cold air.  Still, not a totally horrid pattern.

At this point I just want a mid march coastal with lots of QPF which will be all rain or a 0.25" cartopper for me, but where I can hopefully go to 1800' north of frederick and see snow....

Archived