• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

Bob, we have a no win, no win winter. Incredible. I am hoping for some severe this spring.

We'll have a couple more close but no cigar events.  Long range pattern doesn't look bad once we get rid of the SE ridge. March is a much less progressive if we do get another event. However arctic air may not return like 2010.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll have a couple more close but no cigar events. Long range pattern doesn't look bad once we get rid of the SE ridge. March is a much less progressive if we do get another event. However arctic air may not return like 2010.

The good and not so funny thing about this winter is the close but no cigar events. It's not like it couldn't snow this year. It just wouldn't snow. There a difference. Lol. What's worse? Zero chance or failed chance?

Where do you find that information (divergence/convergence) when looking at a model output?

You can also get a rough sense of it from looking at the lines on the 500 mb chart.  If you follow them going from east to west across teh country where the lines get closer together you have confluence and usually pressures will build under than confluent flow.  In advance of an upper level trough there is usually an area of upper level divergence especially with a trough that takes on a negative tilt (the southern end of the trough get farther east than the northern end.  Thats what happens prior the low lifting northward over the plains. 

Tell you what though, there are at least 6 gfs members that don't have the same scenario as the op. the next couple of days might see this start acting differently.

The mean pattern still favors a low tracking towards Iowa, once that happens then I think the evolution can differ but I don't see this pattern taking the primary low to our south. 

0z EURO/GFS in good agreement for FRI/SAT. Decaying low over IA bumps up heights just in time for a coastal to form and pound us.....w/ RAIN. My finger is on the trigger.....

Yup...the whole 0Z suite looks like crap (GFS/Euro/GGEM).  All show a similar scenario for next week (rain).  In fact, the next 10 days look like any precip would be rain.  So much for the negative NAO/blocking.  Looks like the rest of Feb is fooked.  Kinda sad as even some of the usually pessimistic mets were somewhat hopeful for the second half of Feb.  Oh well, March could always be rockin'.

MDstorm

Yup...the whole 0Z suite looks like crap (GFS/Euro/GGEM).  All show a similar scenario for next week (rain).  In fact, the next 10 days look like any precip would be rain.  So much for the negative NAO/blocking.  Looks like the rest of Feb is fooked.  Kinda sad as even some of the usually pessimistic mets were somewhat hopeful for the second half of Feb.  Oh well, March could always be rockin'.

MDstorm

Anytime an index appeared to be in solidly our favor this winter, it was trumped or neutralized by something else being in the wrong phase or non existent. ENSO neutral (or what ended up more a weak Nina) heading into winter was a bad sign. We had the AO in our favor much of the time, but overwhelmingly bad Pacific. Then the PNA was positive for a time, and we had clipper-fest and our ONE week of legit cold with the PV camping out in SE Canada but NO southern stream involvement. Any HL blocking has been fleeting and poorly timed. And finally it was the favorable MJO that was going to save the winter with a rockin late January into February. Fail.  Almost uncanny how not one time has anything aligned well to provide a truly favorable period for cold and winter storminess for the MA....and of course this after the debacle of last winter. The last real hope was the period through next week, but the familiar model tease appears over(except those who want to insist what is now being depicted is not possible by laws of physics or some BS)  March....meh rarely produces around here and certainly would not expect it this year. I think most people even on this forum are finally fatigued and bored with this winter.

I didn't suggest it.

You weren't the traget of the meteorologically impossible post.   I suspect that the target was a met who posts on facebook.

The Friday threat now is hardly worth following though I guess some damming is still conceivable, the UKMET, GFS and Euro are pretty emphatic that the initial low will go towards the lakes and then screw it up for us by parking there as energy shear eastward. 

Archived