Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have nothing else to talk about. Unless tomorrow's coastal does a magic trick. It does fringe us which I guess is something.

Oh I know... just agreeing that the entire nature of the storm might be different (e.g. we can't even say for sure there will be a storm a week from now), so there's no more encouragement or discouragement gained by looking at such specific details.

I am more discouraged that as we head towards the event, the models are picking up the CAD signature but are also showing a trend of shearing the system into a pathetic mess.  A storm bowling to our NW into a -NAO this time of year I do not buy really, the southern stream being sheared out and suppressed I do, fits the pattern too well. 

Geez...we can't precip from that storm?

in general the northern branch has been screaming along west to east, not allowing any phasing with the southern branch.  The southern branch has been too weak to offer any resistance when there is cold in place and any type of block or even just influence from the northern jet.  So when there is cold in place and the northern jet is near the stj moisture systems just get squashed to our south or sheared apart.  When the northern jet retreats then and only then can the pathetic southern branch systems move north and offer rain.  With many of them this year there was really no snow sheild with the storm at all...just a big rain event.  Even northern New England is suffering for the ski areas, they cant buy a big snowstorm, with the exceptions of Nemo nothing amplifies into the east. 

You know, if you believe in the concept of an average, then you believe that every time we get the shaft, the odds go up that the next one we get the bonus.  If not, then there's no such thing as an average.  I don't feel great about the upcoming couple of weeks, but I do think there's a shot at some snow.  Opportunity and the fact that this can't last forever.

Most of the winter we have had such a crap pattern that even in the long range there was nothing to track.  Now we are at least back to a good enough pattern that we have our 240 hour fantasy storms to look at again.  They all turn to crap once they move inside  7 days but oh well... the pattern isnt that hostile so I could see one of these waves producing. 

Archived