• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

I kind of agree with Ian that the current GFS and Euro looks are about as good as we can expect. Of course if it dry slots quick enough you can always get a few inches of snow and then go to drizzle.

Sometimes dryslots are a friend. If precip shuts off before the thermals go to crap them it's totally fine. Couple inches and drizzle is better than 4" and a half inch of rain. At least in my opinion. Hopefully the setup holds serve through the weekend.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of agree with Ian that the current GFS and Euro looks are about as good as we can expect.   Of course if it dry slots quick enough you can always get a few inches of snow and then go to drizzle.

With a 20 sec glance here and there, the Euro and its ens look great for this.  Of course, all I'm seeing are the 24hr panels on Allens site.

6z GFS looked pretty spiffy too.

Sometimes dryslots are a friend. If precip shuts off before the thermals go to crap them it's totally fine. Couple inches and drizzle is better than 4" and a half inch of rain. At least in my opinion. Hopefully the setup holds serve through the weekend.

Yeah, and sometimes that dry slot drizzle ends up being freezing drizzle for a while.  That's what happened here at Christmas and was a big reason that we had snow cover from that storm for the next 16 days.

With a 20 sec glance here and there, the Euro and its ens look great for this. Of course, all I'm seeing are the 24hr panels on Allens site.

6z GFS looked pretty spiffy too.

0z euro ens look similar overall to the op. Same cad and decent precip. Event on the heels looks ok too. precip doesn't really push N but temps are good and the south is plenty wet. 10 day threats are as reliable as meth heads so not much to invest other than there might be another chance.

Yeah, the Fri next week thing is looking pretty sick.....but then again..they all do at this range, don't they?

CAD actually got STRONGER from previous frame when the precip came in. Probably gonna be a nice thump, then rain. I suppose that the CAD will probably trend a bit stronger as we get closer.

Yeah, the Fri next week thing is looking pretty sick.....but then again..they all do at this range, don't they?

Where's that "storm template" that someone wrote up, on how predictable these things have been for us?  The "infinite loop" thing, starting with what looks like a great storm, etc., ends up nothing.  Maybe we should pin that.

From a distance, they all look like Kate Upton...then you get closer and notice a few flaws, but can still see the beauty, then when you get right up close, you're hoping for a really nice personality.  

Anyway...surface freezing line is roughly RIC-Roanake at 168 hours.  Snow-to-sleet-to-FZRA-to-dryslot?  

CAD actually got STRONGER from previous frame when the precip came in. Probably gonna be a nice thump, then rain. I suppose that the CAD will probably trend a bit stronger as we get closer.

I'd be willing, after looking at its 0z run, to bet that the Euro will look even better than the GFS. I think you are correct, the CAD usually gets stronger as we get closer.  This could be a good thumping, icing, drizzle situation.  Of course, like you said, its still a week away.  That could mean anything.

Heh, click surface panels from 162-68. Central to sw va ice special. I know it's prob not goin down like that but wow. 

Looks like dc are gets 3-6 based on temps before a switch to ice of all things. 

Archived