• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

It's not just NASA...a lot of NOAA's computing power is tied up at places like ESRL (outside of the operational centers) and is climate-centric (and with a tenuous research-to-operations path). Regardless, the issues with NWP here are a lot more complicated than just needing more computing power....

I agree in principle, but the lack of computing power not only holds back the ability to run higher resolution in production, it severely limits our capabilities in R&D mode.  However, no excuses, we have to do the best we can with what we have.  It's not a matter of what we cannot do, but a matter of what we can/should do.

By the way, the references in computing power are for our current operational machine (IBM P6, which is severely outdated now)....we are going through a transition process to our new supercomputer; scheduled to go live in August (I think).  This will give us some increase in computing power.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree in principle, but the lack of computing power not only holds back the ability to run higher resolution in production, it severely limits our capabilities in R&D mode.  However, no excuses, we have to do the best we can with what we have.  It's not a matter of what we cannot do, but a matter of what we can/should do.

By the way, the references in computing power are for our current operational machine (IBM P6, which is severely outdated now)....we are going through a transition process to our new supercomputer; scheduled to go live in August (I think).  This will give us some increase in computing power.

Yeah I agree, I think a commitment from NOAA leadership to make NWP a larger priority would fix a lot of the other issues (outside of just pure upgrades to the infrastructure)....

GFS 12z looks like it will come in south of 0z with the 2/22 event

If that is south...where did 0z have it?  Manitoba?  

Not that it's worth discussing much at 180+ hours, but still starts as snow or ice for the 95 corridor and points N/W at least. 

If that is south...where did 0z have it?  Manitoba?  

thru 153 hrs vs. 165 at 0z, it was south by a noticeable bit

then the block, if that's what we want to call it, just shriveled up and let it come north

we root for front end thump and that's the best we do

slight chance it cuts so far west that it doesn't bring so much warm air with it, but that's a long shot

CAD/wedge sig. 850's and surface below freezing at onset. Snow to rain. .25+/- falls as snow if i had to guess. Not that is matters much. 

If I was in Winchester or even Ji in Leesburg I'd be thinking I'd see another accumulating snow.  In DC without looking at the temps above 850, it's hard to know how we shake out. 

If I was in Winchester or even Ji in Leesburg I'd be thinking I'd see another accumulating snow.  In DC without looking at the temps above 850, it's hard to know how we shake out. 

Yea, I was just casually pointing it out. Euro has the same idea. Comes down to details that won't be know for days and days. 

I guess I'll need to delete all my other posts re the Euro and hug it until it starts leaking PCBs

tho the gfs gives us some accum on the backside .. i dont think any really on the front end dc/balt despite 850s.. tho of course cad will grow. ;)  the high location and movement is not spectacular.

Are we really going to see such a strong cutter?...I know the euro has lost some of its luster lately, but I would use it and the gefs/euro ensembles at this range for some very very broad guidance versus the GFS

maybe not but the euro op is kind of on its own with that bigger snow potential. euro ens mainly suggests its a midwest to new england sno event with some down here. not a horrible idea i suppose.

Are we really going to see such a strong cutter?...I know the euro has lost some of its luster lately, but I would use it and the gefs/euro ensembles at this range for some very very broad guidance versus the GFS

At that time range I'd certainly trust the ensemble more than the operational runs. 

maybe not but the euro op is kind of on its own with that bigger snow potential. euro ens mainly suggests its a midwest to new england sno event with some down here. not a horrible idea i suppose.

not sure it is relevant but we saw teh same thing with the KU....it was a solid lakes cutter a week out....the models usually trend away from the lakes with these things though not necessarily good enough for us....i'll go ahead and say the primary is weaker and and runs up the apps or just west into the eastern OV

not sure it is relevant but we saw teh same thing with the KU....it was a solid lakes cutter a week out....the models usually trend away from the lakes with these things though not necessarily good enough for us....i'll go ahead and say the primary is weaker and and runs up the apps or just west into the eastern OV

yeah the storm around christmas did sort of the same thing too. i'd probably hedge on the eastern side myself for now tho i don't think it's impossible for the ops solution to verify (at least out west) either.

does anyone remember an event in the 1990s where  DC/Northern Virginia area got 4-6 inches but north of Rockville, they got flurries. I remember getting pounded but my parents went to their friends house up near Rockville and only saw flurries?

Saturday evening? Maybe 1/28/95? Although, I lived in Potomac then and we did get accumulating snow- ~3-4".

yes...it was 1/28/95

Archived