• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

With that 50/50 you know from 8 days out it could and probably will trend south, but I don't buy the nao and 50/50 look either so the whole thing is likely to change.  It's worth watching because we don't have much else to watch and its not a totally impossible scenario.  The GFS is doing something very weird where the 50/50 low actually absorbs the midwest H5 low.  Very odd...but if that were to happen it could possibly set up one last chance as the following wave comes under the newly reenforced block.  One rule though, in February if you have a decent -NAO dont sleep on any storm threat.  Things seem to want to happen this time of year if the NAO is in a good position.

I would be shocked if it de-amplified and ended up further east but I don't think the solution it shows is all that out of whack either. Pattern is still pretty Nina'ish.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be shocked if it de-amplified and ended up further east but I don't think the solution it shows is all that out of whack either. Pattern is still pretty Nina'ish.

well the solution it shows sets us up for a really nice pattern the following week after it...and maybe we cashin then. The last week of Feb is NOT too late. 

Its .3-.4 QPF... not sure where its coming from as i dont see any h5 energy nearby... WAA?

You won't see it looking only at 500 abs. vort. maps.  Try looking at 700 winds/temps, 1000 mb frontogenesis, 500 abs. vort. advection.  It's not a synoptic scale system, so looking at synoptic features won't tell the story.

looks like some energy heads across southern va and spins up a little surface low off the coast.  i thought gfs had precip over the area a few days ago and took it away...interesting to see it come back...i guess we need to see if it sticks around the next couple of runs.

Somewhat interesting evolution of the Friday night event with the 06Z GFS and how it plays out. It is trying to make this a warning criteria event for the 95 corridor if the temps will only cooperate. Has +.5 running from N VA through most of MD. Surface starts out pretty warm but the BL looks to cool quite quickly. So maybe initially rain with a quick turnover DC to Baltimore?

06Z GFS shows cutter after cutter after the Friday night event. It does imply we would get a nice front end thump from the 22nd storm as it cuts into the Lakes.

Edit: Looking at the 22nd storm it has decent blocking to its north before truncation but then quickly loses it. I have to wonder if this will start showing the blocking holding on longer as we get the event within truncation. If so I wouldn't be surprised to see some adjustment to the east again though not nearly enough to run the low south of us as it looks now.

Archived