Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt will be distraught to lose his biggest competitor.

ill tell all my followers to follow his page. I get too emotional. I am have preaching the VD storm since Feb 2 and i was determined to see it go through. Even called 2-4 inches 2 days ago in the colder suburbs.

I had to punt last night and it sucked

ill tell all my followers to follow his page. I get too emotional. I am have preaching the VD storm since Feb 2 and i was determined to see it go through. Even called 2-4 inches 2 days ago in the colder suburbs.

No. Really?  You?  I don't think anyone had ever noticed.

;)

What are you going to do if the colder burbs get 2-4?

You get to emotionally invested in these storms and you make calls that you would not rationally do otherwise.

Euro ens mean looks like the op except for making more sense. Like 1-3" in the front end instead of 4-8".

This is for the d9 storm that isn't going to happen like this anyway.

I haven't seen the Euro of course, but the setup on this 18z run of the GFS, a storm that tries to cut and can't, is a setup that's pretty dependable for a good "winter" storm, more so for my area than for you.

There are other things on that map that should probably tell you that that vort isn't going much farther north...if that map were right.

Yeah. Maybe I'm just confused by mant running big as usual. Could definitely see it end up way east initially before jump etc.

ehh, when we were in the nina type pattern for much of the winter I was not discouraged by lack of snow.  It was just not going to snow, no real way to get it to in that pattern.  But we are not in a particularly hostile pattern right now.  Many of the pattern indices are actually favorable.  True its not the best setup ever, its no Feb 2010, but all together I would say its a fairly conducive pattern going off the overall telleconnections.  YET, when it comes to looking at the actual weather on the ground, getting snow down to the DC area seems like some herculean task.  Even going into next week... the PAC isnt horrendous, its blah but not a disaster, the NAO is favorable, we have a 50/50 feature, and yet it just seems like getting snow down to our lattitude is like you would expect waiting for snow in Atlanta would be like.  The lack of snow during this mostly favorable pattern, is getting to me way more then the lack of snow during the 2 years of hostile crap pattern. 

Looking at this weekend, and analyzing the NAM (I know waste of time) we are stuck between 2 solutions.  Right now, what seems very likely, is the first vort is going to go north of us, is flying along way too fast, and will develop a little too late to give us much of anything.  But its development will impede the second peice of energy diving down the back side from amplifying.  You can clearly see this on the NAM, it does get the second one going but its suppressed and squashed by the hostile environment left behind by the development of the first system.  I am not even sure which way to root for this to go.  I think there is a low end cap on the first vort.  Its screaming along, has warm air in front of it, and is tracking to our north.  I just dont see it turning into a major player for us.  BUt perhaps with a bit more development we end up with a small event from that.  ON the other hand the second vort is the one with blockbuster potential but seems a much longer shot to do anything at all right now.  Either way, most likely solution is we get totaly fooked, first wave is too fast/north and the second one squashed by the first.  We win again

Pretty active week on the models. This was the pattern and week I was referring to a couple weeks ago. LOL

Last half of Feb looks banging with plenty of S/W's though. I gave you guys my forecast through Feb.11 last Sunday. I will write a more indepth forecast and POP of the last 3 weeks on Monday or something. But it looks like Feb 11-13 will be another 5-10 degree warm up ahead of a S/W arriving the 14 or 15th with colder air behind it for Feb 15-17.

Strat. analogs are showing 4 storms in a week and a half period for the second half of Feb. I'm waiting for more GWO data though before I confirm and jump on the bandwagon for such an active pattern. Although this would jive with the thoughts of a snowy pattern for the Plains/upper MS valley and the NE still ending up with about normal snowfall while at the same time having above normal temps for the month....just plenty of opportunities to score while getting screwed on others.

Also like the high in the way at 140W. I think it will do a nice job of splitting this strong xt-RWT at 170W in to several pieces with pockets of energy slipping underneath and emerging as pulses along the southern jet that could possible end up phasing with their siblings that took the northern jet on the 21/22 time frame. Also marked out xt-RWT over Africa that I think will be a player come March 6/7 that matches up with a Mtn. torque event meaning colder air should be over the region. I think it could be a decent storm for someone.

post-3697-0-71677400-1360811436_thumb.jp

DT makes some very good points, and I agree that if the block and 50/50 are there this is not going to cut, either the low to the lakes is wrong or the setup in eastern Canada is off.  BUT....I have no confidence that its the Atlantic part of this equation that the models have right. 

I was kind of surprised that he was even predicting the event was going to be ice for us. Really? The whole thing can blow up at any time. We know this all too well.

Archived