• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

everyone knows this is going to be another dc split to SNE HECS.

next.

That's what I fear.  It does look like the storm should track to at least the OH valley before reforming and despite Ji's protests, if the models have a solution it is not meteorologically impossibly.  We're talking 9 days out,  lots of solutions are still possible. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How'd that work out 2 months ago?

2 months ago was such a fake "block" though. There was 0 cold air in canada to block up and it was essentially above normal heights in eastern canada that gave the appearance of a -nao..those waves gladly amplified and cut into the midwest as a result. This is quite different as it looks like we are building a legitimate -nao here with better cold air to situate in se canada. There is a very nice signal for strong high in se canada too ahead of the friday potential system. With that being said, it is DC and somethign can always go wrong.. I agree completely with Wes here as far as his thoughts go for the region.

Really impressive signal this far out for a major winter storm affecting a large area of the country late next week...hopefully the mid-atl can end up on the good side of it, but we'll see.

What was the measured snow total for DCA last winter?

2"

Usually in the crappy winters we eek out a fluke at some point or at least one 3" event...which may not make it a fluke I guess

March 99

Feb 06 (though we did have some good snow 11/23 - 12/15)

March 09

Feb 95

January 02

December 07

It is actually pretty hard for us to get <4".....which has kind of kept me hopeful...obviously peristence is a b**ch...68-69, one of my analogs, is actually not bad in some ways....same thing that year....2 KU's for 40N in FEB and we had 2" going into March where we then got a couple storms and ended up with 9"...There are 4 things still keeping me hopeful

1) Pattern is not that hostile going forward

2) Climo says it is really hard to get 2" seasonal

3) Analogs suggested a decent end of season

4) Wishcasting, figuring if I am delusional it is only for another month and then I can recover

2 months ago was such a fake "block" though. There was 0 cold air in canada to block up and it was essentially above normal heights in eastern canada that gave the appearance of a -nao..those waves gladly amplified and cut into the midwest as a result. This is quite different as it looks like we are building a legitimate -nao here with better cold air to situate in se canada. There is a very nice signal for strong high in se canada too ahead of the friday potential system. With that being said, it is DC and somethign can always go wrong.. I agree completely with Wes here as far as his thoughts go for the region.

Really impressive signal this far out for a major winter storm affecting a large area of the country late next week...hopefully the mid-atl can end up on the good side of it, but we'll see.

3 of the 4 analogs that offered snow were 2 inches or less which makes me think the snows were mostly miller bs, I'm guessing the 5 non snow analog periods featured cutters of some sort, sort of like the GFS. 

Just read this on twitter from Bastardi.

Joe Bastardi@BigJoeBastardi

JMA/UKMET has the east coast snowstorm on weekend.. CMON ecmwf, will ya. Fla freeze threat too,but the bigger the ne storm, less the chc

Seriously?  Anyone see the JMA or UKMET to confirm?

JMA @ 96. First purple is .50. And with the jma that means .05. Gotta add a decimal. 

You forgot to apply the JMA QPF conversion - .0005 reality for every .5 it spits out.

That's probably because I never look at it and wasn't aware of how much of bias it has. That's gonna screw up other things as well unless the all the precip is the result of a simple coding error that doesn't impact latent heat.

Archived