Newest Member
    Monty
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But your kicking it into the net on the sidelines

we probably need something simple if we are going to get a snow this season.  Anything that requires a phase is not likely to work.  The northern branch is just not going to cooperate.  The setup, if the models are even close to correct, with a nice 50/50 low and a cold high blocked in place with a potent stj system approaching is probably our best bet.  We dont have to rely on complicated phase issues.  Just have to get the high locked in and hope for a better track.  Its probably the only type of setup that can work for us given the issues with the northern jet running interference

May? That's our next snowmaker troll lol

broad based trough ejecting into the plains.. outbreak city in ok and ks. woo.

good luck with that snowstorm.. 500 matters. :P

on that note.. SE ridge keeps popping up in uber long range.

I know everyone is burned out from chasing mangled flakes and cold rain, but the Feb. 21-22 threat has real potential strictly based on the pattern.  Hang in there.  I've brought out Sir Isaac Newton (a meteorologic giant)  for good luck.

MDstorm

New 0z Euro says screw PD3........but hello Feb.22.  :snowman: .  Any Presidents born on Feb 22?

MDstorm

Big snow euro d9

New 0z Euro says screw PD3........but hello Feb.22.  :snowman: .  Any Presidents born on Feb 22?

MDstorm

I know everyone is burned out from chasing mangled flakes and cold rain, but the Feb. 21-22 threat has real potential strictly based on the pattern.  Hang in there.  I've brought out Sir Isaac Newton (a meteorologic giant)  for good luck.

MDstorm

We've been down this road before.

How much sleep do we lose chasing this football before it gets pulled away, again? :rolleyes:

:o at the signal on the ensembles for Feb 21-22. Don't usually see something so concrete at Day 9-10 on the ensembles, particularly the GFS.

But repeat after me...I will NOT get sucked in...I will NOT get sucked in...

Kinda like this weekend a week ago ? ;-)

:o at the signal on the ensembles for Feb 21-22. Don't usually see something so concrete at Day 9-10 on the ensembles, particularly the GFS.

But repeat after me...I will NOT get sucked in...I will NOT get sucked in...

You better turn the clock back and not look at the ens but since you can't it too late. Ur all in already

Any of you guys have a good website to educate me on what the phenomenon known as a "block" is? 

Here's just a simple layout of the different blocks you can see. You are probably talking about blocking for Noreasters though, so I will see if I can find something on that.

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/blocking/

Jokes aside, the 22nd threat is sketchy. very bad @ 500 for a storm even though the gfs says there's a nice 850 low below us. But its way out there and the spacing between the cutter needs to be resolved to not a lot of analysis.

6z gfs pops a really nice -nao around the same time. 564dm ridge in the n atl nosing right into greenland. We're going to get an effective -nao eventually.Just hope it isn't late march so we get days and days of cool fog and drizzle.

An lastly, weekend threat is there. Looks like the best area near us is st mary's county with an inch or so. We'll have some nice mood flakes.

Yes, I was mainly talking about Nor'easters.  Thanks for your help.

Read up on -NAO or Greenland block's. That will help you to understand how the block forces storms to the south and helps keep cold air in our area by buckling the jet stream. Once you get that concept read up on 50/50 lows and their position. Then you will have a general understanding of what it takes to get a big noreaster in our area. You will also realize why it is so hard to get a big storm down here and why it is much easier for NE to cash in.

Archived