• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Possible major Snowstorm/Blizzard on northern Italy

Hi Guys !

After a pretty december with a good snowfall on the 14th, followed by 2 weeks of snowcover until Christmas, January has been quite boring and mild on northern Italy, a part a couple minor of episodes.

But now we are facing a possible major Snowstorm this next Monday/Tuesday; the models are very good from days, and now the more we go closer, the more they confirms !  the storm could bring more than 12-18 inches in good part of Po valley (Milan, Brescia, Modena, Verona, Mantua etc) and here in the foothills of the Alps locally more than 20-22 inches.

And even more exciting, this major Snowfall should be followed by new colder air, with frosty lows in the 0s/10s after the middle of the week.

Needless to say that the northern italian weatherfans are quite excited, expecially because in these past years february has been usually "stingy" towards cold and snow    :snowing:

If you find interesting, I can update here the situation :)

Just a couple of maps for Monday, to start 

In this map of the temperatures at 850 hPa, you can notice how the cold air is "trapped" in Po valley between the Alps and the Appennines (the biggest reason that bring us so big snowfalls and cold periods even if we are so close to mediterranean sea).

Rmgfs962.gif

Tuesday
D24650133.png

Cold spell this week-end + quick low pressure from W-NW  = handbook snowstorm on northern Italy  :sled:

Matteo,

That's some pretty amazing cold air entrapment, the Po Valley must have some fairly high mountains on practically all, or at least most sides all except the east or northeast? I have to admit I don't know the geography well, but based on that GFS T85 map I'm guessing it's a deep, flat valley surrounded on many sides. Occasionally supplied with cold air from the Siberian cold reservoir, that moderates slowly due low insulation resulting from the low winter sun angle, and high mountains to all along the southwest, south and southeast? If so, your inversions must be a nightmare some times. Not to mention a hellacious foehn in the summers, do you experience foehn much there?

Anyhow, good luck with the snow! I assume it's rare to have much high wind with snow there, otherwise all your cold air would get ruined, but that just makes it easier to measure the snow! Please take pictures, I've always enjoyed your excellent photography.

--Shane

Matteo,

That's some pretty amazing cold air entrapment, the Po Valley must have some fairly high mountains on practically all, or at least most sides all except the east or northeast? I have to admit I don't know the geography well, but based on that GFS T85 map I'm guessing it's a deep, flat valley surrounded on many sides. Occasionally supplied with cold air from the Siberian cold reservoir, that moderates slowly due low insulation resulting from the low winter sun angle, and high mountains to all along the southwest, south and southeast? If so, your inversions must be a nightmare some times. Not to mention a hellacious foehn in the summers, do you experience foehn much there?

Anyhow, good luck with the snow! I assume it's rare to have much high wind with snow there, otherwise all your cold air would get ruined, but that just makes it easier to measure the snow! Please take pictures, I've always enjoyed your excellent photography.

--Shane

Hi Shane

Yea, Po valley is surrounded on the N-NW-W-SW side from the Alps, while on the S side there are the Appenines; the only "open" side is the E-SE on the (flat) Adriatic sea and to the Balcans.

As you said, during winter the Po valley experience lot of inversion (= the "famous" fog of Milan) and this bring (along with pollution), also pretty good episodes of snow while, in example, outside of it it rains (Marseille, Geneva, Florence etc).

You said well: except the Veneto (Venice/Padua), during this kind of front Po valley experience very few wind ... for this our snowfalls are usually "quiet" and rarely of the blizzard-like kind ...

Only the easter-most area (Venice, Padua etc) experience some E-SE wind and in fact there the annual amount of snow is quite lower than the central-western Po valley.

This map is quite explicative

detail1.jpg

Po valley/northern Italy climate is quite unique in Europe, even Koppen talked about it.

Here a good article about snowfalls in Po valley

http://marcopifferetti.altervista.org/situazioni.htm

To bad right now I've no time for a good translation, so sorry for the automatic translator :-)

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=it&to=en&a=http://marcopifferetti.altervista.org/situazioni.htm

And here we go.

Right now it's 3:20pm and still clear; this night it'll be gradually cloudier and tomorrow morning it'll start to snow.

Public winter service and private snowblowers are ready  :snowing:

Here a good link to locals webcams in and around Lombardy (from the private Lombardy's weather center)

http://www.centrometeolombardo.com/content.asp?CatId=319&ContentType=NowCasting

• 2 weeks later...

Archived