Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 8th-9th Potential Blizzard

dryslot

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think alot of the winter storm watches will go staright to blizzard warnings also

Are you thinking blizzard warnings for Hampshire/Hampden County?  Hoping those winds don't materialize here, or else I fear the downsloping.  We always downslope of course, but sometimes worse than others.

Ratios will probably stay under 15 to 1 in most spots because of the high winds...we can have great snow growth but the crystal structures get fractured if the winds are high enough. But in some of the spots where winds aren't too bad and you can get under a deformation band, there's possibility of 20 to 1 ratios or better, at least for a time.

Ratios will probably stay under 15 to 1 in most spots because of the high winds...we can have great snow growth but the crystal structures get fractured if the winds are high enough. But in some of the spots where winds aren't too bad and you can get under a deformation band, there's possibility of 20 to 1 ratios or better, at least for a time.

yeah i was thinking about that. tough to go too high with cane force winds just off the deck and gales even over the interior.

I think LI has a real shot at 20" but that will be tough for the city to achieve...it will have to go perfect, but not impossible.

What did NYC get in PDII? They may have fallen short. That's the onyl storm where I'm not sure. The other 5 storms where BOS got 20"+, NYC did not get it.

Ooh... forgot about that (I block it out because I was in Quebec).

NYC had 19.8" :o 

OKX posted this 50 minutes ago--think they need a re-do?

They could double that map and still verify according to some of the models. Would expect they go to 10-16" for the city WSW and 12-20" here Blizzard Warning. Every single model now is onboard for a foot plus of snow here, many of them substantially more than that.

-skisheep

Why are people so worried about winds and power outages inland? So much talk of extended outages when winds will be 40-50 mph inland. The coast sure but folks are going nuts on power around here

????  Who's going nuts?  Aside from Tip's comments, I don't think anyone's been pushing power issues.  That's a blizz specialty.  :)

2/7/2012 12z ECWMF: QPF

Connecticut:

Bridgeport: 2.84”

Danbury: 2.44”

Groton: 2.45”

Hartford: 2.21”

New Haven: 2.76”

Maine:

Augusta: 1.28”

Bangor: 1.15”

Caribou: 0.23”

Houlton: 0.54”

Lewiston: 0.06”

Portland: 1.78”

Massachusetts:

Bedford: 2.53”

Beverly: 2.60”

Boston: 2.73”

Chicopee Falls: 1.99”

Fitchburg: 2.17”

Hyannis: 2.54”

Martha’s Vineyard: 2.62”

Milton: 2.77”

Nantucket: 2.43”

New Bedford: 2.82”

Norwood: 2.74”

Pittsfield: 1.32”

Plymouth: 2.74”

Provincetown: 2.57”

Taunton: 2.86”

Westfield: 2.01”

Worcester: 2.32”

New Hampshire:

Berlin: 0.75”

Concord: 1.64”

Jaffrey: 1.86”

Keene: 1.60”

Lebanon: 1.04”

Manchester: 1.89”

Nashua: 2.00”

Portsmouth: 2.14”

Whitefield: 0.77”

New Jersey:

Belmar: 2.42”

Caldwell: 1.81”

Newark: 2.08”

Sussex: 1.27”

Teterboro: 2.09”

Trenton: 1.65”

New York:

Albany: 0.77”

Islip: 3.06”

New York City:

…JFK: 2.70”

…LGA: 2.39”

…NYC: 2.25”

Newburgh: 1.46”

Poughkeepsie: 1.60”

Westhampton Beach: 2.76”

White Plains: 2.41”

Rhode Island:

Newport: 2.70”

Providence: 2.69”

Westerly: 2.50”

Vermont:

Burlington: 0.42”

Montpelier: 0.53”

Rutland: 0.75”

St. Johnsbury: 0.53”

Note: Not every city is entirely snow. Some cities also have 850 mb temperatures > 0°C for at least a time.

Don, If you don't mind, The Lew in Maine total looks pretty far off, Thanks,

Why are people so worried about winds and power outages inland? So much talk of extended outages when winds will be 40-50 mph inland. The coast sure but folks are going nuts on power around here

Down here it is a concern, for sure.  We routinely lose power here in 35-40mph winds, if only for an hour or two.  75-90mph gusts and heavy wet snow will guarantee a loss.  May hang out in my wife's office at Falmouth hospital if that happens.

Part of me is happy that you guys are going to get the really big stuff while we get fringed.

And part of me hopes the NAM is right. :D

It seems that whenever the models show western New England getting hit, the storm actually goes further north and west than forecast. But when the storm is supposed to be east of us, it doesn't happen... :)

They could double that map and still verify according to some of the models. Would expect they go to 10-16" for the city WSW and 12-20" here Blizzard Warning. Every single model now is onboard for a foot plus of snow here, many of them substantially more than that.

-skisheep

That map's almost certainly going to be revised up in a big way after the Euro. Probably double those totals for the City and Long Island easy.

Archived