Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 8th-9th Potential Blizzard

dryslot

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the OP runs....GEFS has been pretty good in the off hours.  OP run bad.

RGEM is up on meteocentre.  I think even east of the GFS by some bit. 

http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?lang=en&map=na&run=12&mod=gemreg&stn=PNMPR&comp=1&run2=12&mod2=gemreg&stn2=PNMPR&hh2=048&fixhh=1&hh=036

Did someone say the GFS was lackluster?  Isn't it a couple of feet of snow?

Tough to tell, But it may be a hair NW of the 06z run

You can tell its trending towards NAM/EURO with regards to strength of the southern vort. It will keep getting better and better imo. 

I agree with you. The GFS is a very good model...better than most people give it credit. In fact...I think it is easily second to the ECMWF...and not as far behind as people think. The reality is it was not made to simulate such extreme convection, and it is still at a disadvantage due to its lower resolution and the convective params it must rely on. Unlike the NAM, the GFS will likely make a slow but positive dprog/dt trend...but will likely be hampered by poor convective params for at least another day of runs.

I agree with you. The GFS is a very good model...better than most people give it credit. In fact...I think it is easily second to the ECMWF...and not as far behind as people think. The reality is it was not made to simulate such extreme convection, and it is still at a disadvantage due to its lower resolution and the convective params it must rely on. Unlike the NAM, the GFS will likely make a slow but positive dprog/dt trend...but will likely be hampered by poor convective params for at least another day of runs.

Its bad beyond 96-108 hours but inside of that it gets alot of crap it probably should not from people.

BI, based on what you're saying I'd say you're leaning towards a more extreme/west solution?  IE, towards the NAM?

Sorry for the non-meteorological post (but it is related).  How do the mets envision this starts, timing wise, in the Boston area? I am trying to decide what to do with my staff, i.e., when we should close our office and send people home.

NCEP first weigh in on the 12z

...SRN STREAM ENERGY AMPLIFYING OFFSHORE OF THE NERN U.S...
...RAPID COASTAL CYCLOGENESIS OCCURRING ACRS THE WRN ATLC...

AN ELONGATED AXIS OF SHRTWV ENERGY MOVING THRU THE SERN U.S. IS
CURRENTLY PRODUCING MDT TO HEAVY PCPN ACRS THE ERN GULF COAST. AS
THIS SYSTEM LIFTS N AND E...IT WILL BEGIN TO INTENSIFY ALONG THE
OUTER BANKS ON FRI MORNING WITH THE AFOREMENTIONED PHASING
OCCURRING WITH THE NRN STREAM. CONSEQUENTLY...RAPID CYCLOGENESIS
IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR WITH THIS WAVE CONTINUING TO DEEPEN WHILE
MOVING E OF NEW ENGLAND LATE FRI/EARLY SAT. NOTABLE SHIFTS IN THE
NAM ARE EVIDENT AS THE 12Z RUN HAS TRENDED STRONGER WITH THE
TROF/SFC LOW ACRS THE OUTER BANKS ON 08/1200Z. THIS CONTINUES
FURTHER INTO THE PERIOD AS THE 12Z NAM IS STRONGER AND MORE TO THE
N/W RELATIVE TO ITS EARLIER RUNS. EVENTUALLY IT BEGINS LOOKING
LIKE THE 06Z RUN ACRS RI BY SAT MORNING. RELATIVE TO OTHER
GUIDANCE...THERE IS SOME SPREAD WITH THE LOW CENTER OVER THE OUTER
BANKS WITH THE 12Z NAM FOLLOWING SUIT WITH THE 00Z ECMWF/ECMWF ENS
MEAN. AGAIN...THE MOST OUTLYING SOLN APPEARS TO BE THE 00Z UKMET
WHICH IS WEAKER AND MORE OFFSHORE. THE FOLLOWING 12 HRS ARE MOST
CRUCIAL WHERE MODELS BEGIN DIVERGING ON A PARTICULAR SOLN. AT
09/0000Z...THE 12Z NAM ENDS UP BEING THE FARTHEST W MODEL WITH THE
00Z ECMWF/ECMWF ENS MEAN JUST OFF TO ITS E. FURTHER...THE 06Z
GFS/GEFS MEAN IS E OF THE ECMWF SUITE OF SOLNS WHICH HAS BEEN
NOTED IN THE PAST SEVERAL ENS RUNS. THE ENS SFC LOW PLOTS
ACCURATELY DEPICT THIS DIVERGING OF OPINIONS ALBEIT WITH
DIMINISHING SPREAD RELATIVE TO FEB 6 (00Z/12Z) GUIDANCE. ON A
SIDE...THE 00Z UKMET IS THE MOST OFFSHORE SOLN WITH NO SUPPORT AT
THIS TIME.

BI, based on what you're saying I'd say you're leaning towards a more extreme/west solution?  IE, towards the NAM?

Hard to call. Still a lot of sensitivity to timing of the northern stream phase and how moist DMC continues to develop the southern low. The NAM races that southern low to the N pretty fast and that is mostly why it takes such a westward track. The NAM would definitely represent the extreme solution. The 00z ECMWF Ens actually strikes a relatively nice balance from what I have seen in current observations and modeling. I think a more realistic reasoning for a farther W solution would be if the northern stream digs/deepens more and slows down...a possible solution. Giving probabilities though, there is a far greater chance, IMHO, that this would wrap up tightly along the coast than take an eastward track. I do think the NAM has a low probability of verifying. 

There is not doubt the southern stream is more amplified than the models had been projecting. However, I do want to throw caution in the wind. The importance of BOTH the northern stream shortwave and the southern stream shortwave can't be overstated. My concern is that the southern stream shortwave continues to become more and more dominant until its driving the phase interaction. This is important to think about from a vorticity perspective, since the dominant vorticity maxima will tend to drive the motion and timing of the phasing. A stronger southern stream s/w and a weaker northern stream s/w might lead to a more amplified (and lower SLP) cyclone, but it also might mean it bombs further offshore. For the further westward tracks to verify (and for all of the NE to get blitzed with snow rather than merely E MA/NH and Maine) we also need the northern stream to continue to amplify in step with the southern stream impulse. Thats what happened in the Boxing Day 2010 blizzard, the northern stream drove the interaction with the southern stream s/w. Even though the southern stream s/w vorticity was under-forecasted, so was the northern stream s/w. That's what ultimately lead to a much further west solution with a rapidly deepening cyclone. 

Archived