Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 8th-9th Potential Blizzard

dryslot

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM Bufkit really not as bad down here as I expected. Was expecting a prolonged period of sleet...but really only spits out ~0.5" as sleet...2"+ all snow. Still would be surprised if any of the other major guidance came in that amped.

Agreed. Guarentee the GFS isn't as amped. I also bet the GFS won't be the final solution either lol

It has a band..like a low level fronto band similar to Boxing day 2010. I'd rather not have the NAM because when it's that close...stuff like drysloits and meso things can cause good and bad issues regarding snow.

But a lot of times being near the dry slot is where you can get csi so its a double edged sword and offers really good banding not far from the dry slot.  I'd still lean towards the euro solution than the NAM solution.

A couple observations worth noting that lends credence to the ECMWF and away from eastward 00z solutions is the way the moist convection is developing across the GOM/SE states. Convection along the trough axis is wrapping inward into a quasi convective scale comma cloud...which indicates the diabatic low is interacting favorably with the split upper jet...and is likely deepening into a well developed closed PV anomaly in the low levels as opposed to propagating east along an elongated front. You can see the difference in the NAM how it initializes and develops the precip shield compared to previous runs which simulated , IMHO, spurious/unrealistic precip bullseyes too far ahead of the low. I would say there is increasing confidence that an east track is unlikely. Bigger worry may eventually be how far W this low wraps up.

post-999-0-04175400-1360250521_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-19931600-1360250573_thumb.png

But a lot of times being near the dry slot is where you can get csi so its a double edged sword and offers really good banding not far from the dry slot.  I'd still lean towards the euro solution than the NAM solution.

Yeah definitely. That area actually pushes into NH and ME too. The NAM had tremendous lift over the 950 and 850 WF. Not often you have a 850 theta-e plume lined perpendicular over the 850 WF. Was awesome to see.

I have horrible memories of Boxing day. If this storm closes off too quickly and occludes, it may cause a intense bands to form, and then dryslots in my area. One town gets 30 inches, the other 10.

Similar to MBY.  We tried to drive to PWM that day (wife's surgery follow-up) because my place had -SN, and gave it up when we hit near-zero visibility in AUG, where 15" fell and blizzard criteria were met for 3+ hr.  I measured 8", and to the north, Eustis had 17", NW - Rangeley 23.5".  The same thing happened two weeks later, 14-15" AUG, 15.4" Rangeley, 7.3" MBY.  Was still a good winter.

GFS is going to come in more amped. 

Yeah I would hope so considerign its last two runs, lol. Hopefully today and tonight is when we start honing in on the exact track...Euro has been pretty consistent. Might be close to the final outcome

Archived