• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 8th-9th Potential Blizzard

dryslot

Just refreshed my Trendcast output for Boston area.  Looking at snow to begin around 08/16Z, then increasing in intensity around 23Z, with the heaviest snow looking to be from 09/01Z to 09/20Z.  Showing rates of up to 1.6" per hour during this time frame.  Total snowput for the storm looks to be around 21.4 to 22.3" in and around the Boston area.  In addition, seeing winds over 40Kts from 09/04Z to 09/18Z, peaking at 47Kts around 13 to 15Z timeframe.  Airtravel will be the worst from 8/18Z to 09/18Z, with LIFR conditions.

Boston Output:  http://smartwxmodel.net/51.htm

Worcester Output  http://smartwxmodel.net/52.htm

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4km nam. Lol. Rots the lot between Chatham and ack. Didn't we hear these are the models to go with in this situation? Nam= non hydrostatic? Euro hasn't moved a few miles in 3 runs. what a brutal news cycle potentially for forecasters down the coast

Yes but it doesn't mean the most extreme solution of the non-hydro models is the one to follow either. The globals sans Euro were really far east. If you weight the mesos like 70/30 or 80/20 you prob end up with something close to the Euro anyway

Another warm solution from the NAM I see. NAM really isn't being all that consistent...which isn't really a surprise. My guess is it winds up being the most amped solution of the 12z suite...but who knows. Just crazy that I went to bed after the 0z GFS worried that this thing might phase too late for anything more than 6-8" around here...only to see the NAM spit out something on the other end of the spectrum this morning...an early phase leading to a sleet fest. If it ends up somewhere in the middle I think most CT posters will be happy with the result.

LOL...just having some fun...

You all in now?  Or still skeptical?

Not yet, actually. There's more to shove, so bite down hard and keep quiet.

But in all seriousness, it's pretty clear it's going to snow. The taint/mix/changeover issue seems to be relatively out of play for my neck of the woods, and dry slotting has not reared its ugly head. Do we get a really nice snowstorm (14-18) or a historic whooping (24+)? That's where I'm not all in yet.

I still subscribe to the "there's a reason these types of totals are rare" school. I think this is the most confidence I've had in getting to that 2 foot mark in my lifetime, and I'm pretty conservative in that regard. I still think things have to break *just right* right over my area for us to really cash in.

Key to the rgem and nam was the slight shift north at 12z this am which probably had something to do with the convection to the north. Carries thru and by 24-30 the nam/rgem are very similar.

RGEM is def east of the NAM by 36h though...its bringing it out to the east near 70W...it will probably try to hook it back north, but its definitely a wider turn.

Archived