• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
FORECAST DISCUSSION: "The Storm They Couldn't Punt" 2/7-2/9

HM

I find it interesting the RPM model snow totals the media is showing. Lots could go wrong that! Anyhow, the 18z GFS is rather impressive with the deformation band/wrap around precipitation for our area. The lift ramps up fairly quickly and becomes increasingly deeper in the snow growth zone as the colder air moves in, especially in portions of eastern PA and northern NJ as it pivots eastward. If this were to verify, 2 inches per hour snowfall rates I think would be doable during the height of the storm.

My brother just texted me about the RPM :lol:  He asked "Hey ray, what's the RPM model and why is it so awesome?"  My reply, "Its not awesome, they're using it for ratings".  He replied back, "O... that sucks!  I was loving it!  So that doesn't even have a possibility of happening?"  My response, "No chance in hell."

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting the RPM model snow totals the media is showing. Lots could go wrong that! Anyhow, the 18z GFS is rather impressive with the deformation band/wrap around precipitation for our area. The lift ramps up fairly quickly and becomes increasingly deeper in the snow growth zone as the colder air moves in, especially in portions of eastern PA and northern NJ as it pivots eastward. If this were to verify, 2 inches per hour snowfall rates I think would be doable during the height of the storm.

BTW, welcome back! :thumbsup:

Definitely keep aware of some short range changes as far as the two shortwaves interacting earlier or later. By now you don't need me to tell you how huge of an impact the timing of phasing will have on the PHL-NYC corridor. So with these more subtle aspects in mind, there is still definitely wiggle room in the short range.

My brother just texted me about the RPM :lol:  He asked "Hey ray, what's the RPM model and why is it so awesome?"  My reply, "Its not awesome, they're using it for ratings".  He replied back, "O... that sucks!  I was loving it!  So that doesn't even have a possibility of happening?"  My response, "No chance in hell."

LOL. Nice response by the way.

My hit-n-run post for the night:

post-96-0-10872200-1360195647_thumb.png

This one be loooow confidence until we can get some temp issues better resolved. Not that far off of the 18z GFS idea, though I'm a bit more apprehensive about that back-end stuff heading into eastern PA and central/southern NJ, i.e. this sub-forum :P

Also, welcome back MGorse!

This is for sure a tough forecast....this is when the professionals earn their money!

The latest Wxsim for NW Chesco off 18z data shows a mainly rain event but changing to snow late on Friday evening with around 4" of snow accumulating before ending. My personal prediction is this will be the biggest snowfall of the season ( biggest to date was the 4.5" in November) for the NW Philly burbs....well that is until the big Valentines Day storm (give or take a day) that will have us all shoveling out!!

My hit-n-run post for the night:

attachicon.gif20130207-08_MAsnowInitial.png

This one be loooow confidence until we can get some temp issues better resolved. Not that far off of the 18z GFS idea, though I'm a bit more apprehensive about that back-end stuff heading into eastern PA and central/southern NJ, i.e. this sub-forum :P

Also, welcome back MGorse!

Thanks!

I think your map looks pretty good given the model guidance to this point. I think the interesting aspect will be the end of the storm, and just how much wrap around occurs especially down to the Philly metro. Some of the guidance is fairly rocking with the idea of a decent shot of snow with that, but we will see.

How bout MAR 31 / APR 1 1997 - Rain changed to hvy snow around mid-day, ended up with 10-12" locally, don't recall any snow in the forecast that day - Boston ended up getting annihilated, think the key there was a stall south of L.I. - we cashed in big time on wrap around

Yep...we got 8" out of that one.  Very narrow band of snow and we were under it.   So weird to see so much snow and so much daylight (longer days).

And..yes, the memorable 2001 storms (there were a couple like that for us).

And....Feb 19, 1972....Not a lot of snow, but a heavy rain, a lull, then about 4" of snow on the backend (in NE Philly at the time)

Just started reading this site in mid December to get a grasp on winter weather patterns in the northeast.  It's great to see the facts and the science behind it.  Thanks to you all who contribute, I have learned so much!

that has to be an arw one?

member arp3. Here is a link that gives a graphical breakdown of the SREF. or just google spc sref and click on plumes, it does not work in internet explorer.  http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2.php?YMD=20130206&RT=15&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=PHL&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=4&mLAT=37.77478874678&mLON=-96.042896875&mTYP=roadmap

Archived