• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
FORECAST DISCUSSION: "The Storm They Couldn't Punt" 2/7-2/9

HM

How much QPF north and west of KPHL like in the Allentown area? 

ABE gets 0.9" QPF and looks pretty comfortable temp wise for good snow. Could be one of the best PA spots on the 0z Euro snowwise. Philly (PHL) has about 1.2" and probably has early issues with p-type. Text data is only in 6 hour intervals, but if I were to venture a rough guess.. probably at least half of the QPF would be snow. 2m temps drop and stay right near freezing til very late in the event.. so could be more of a sloppy type snow. ABE by comparison starts into the better part of the event in upper 20s falling into the low-mid 20s. 

The euro consolidates the precip shield just in time for central and especially eastern Penn with the transfer to the rapidly deepening coastal. 

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ABE gets 0.9" QPF and looks pretty comfortable temp wise for good snow. Could be one of the best PA spots on the 0z Euro snowwise. Philly (PHL) has about 1.2" and probably has early issues with p-type. Text data is only in 6 hour intervals, but if I were to venture a rough guess.. probably at least half of the QPF would be snow. 2m temps drop and stay right near freezing til very late in the event.. so could be more of a sloppy type snow. ABE by comparison starts into the better part of the event in upper 20s falling into the low-mid 20s. 

The euro consolidates the precip shield just in time for central and especially eastern Penn with the transfer to the rapidly deepening coastal. 

Thank you ..so looks like 6 + on the ECM here in ABE? 

This does not sound all that promising from the model discussion from HPC

PROGRESSIVE WEAK SOUTHERN STREAM ENERGY

LOW MOVING ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST/OFFSHORE THE EAST COAST

PREFERENCE: 00Z CANADIAN/00Z UKMET COMPROMISE WITH BELOW AVERAGE

CONFIDENCE

THE 00Z NAM STARTS OUT WEAKER THAN THE OTHER GUIDANCE WITH THE

PAIR OF SHORTWAVES IN THE SOUTHERN STREAM, THEN BECOMES THE

SWIFTEST WITH ITS EASTWARD PROGRESSION ON FRIDAY. THE 00Z ECMWF

IS THE FARTHEST SOUTHWEST WITH THE RELATED SURFACE CYCLONE TRACK

DUE TO HOW IT HANDLES THE NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE, WITH THE

18Z/00Z GFS OUTPACING THE 12Z GLOBAL ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE DURING LATE

THURSDAY NIGHT AND DURING THE DAY FRIDAY BEFORE REJOINING THE PACK

FRIDAY NIGHT/SATURDAY MORNING. THERE ARE ONLY 11 12Z GLOBAL

ENSEMBLE MEMBERS (MOSTLY ECMWF MEMBERS) WHICH SUPPORT THE 00Z

ECMWF SURFACE SOLUTION...TOO FEW TO BELIEVE AT THIS TIME RANGE.

TO ACCOUNT FOR ALL OF THIS, AND THE PREFERENCES IN THE NORTHERN

STREAM WHICH THIS SURFACE LOW MERGES INTO, A COMPROMISE OF THE

INTERMEDIATE 00Z CANADIAN/00Z UKMET IS PREFERRED HERE WITH BELOW

AVERAGE CONFIDENCE DUE TO THE UNCERTAINTY INVOLVED WHEN THE

SOUTHERN AND NORTHERN STREAM SYSTEMS PHASE, WHICH IS GREATER THAN

USUAL. THIS PREFERENCE IS SIMILAR TO A SLOWED VERSION OF THE 00Z

GFS.

This looks like a NYC and interior and CT. special. Colder air wraps in by the time the storm is spinning up, good dynamics, and more snow than Philly, but even NYC has changeover problems with the low pressure coming up from the South, and the storm heading for their 40/70 BM . Cold air is missing down here ( ironic given the last week ). Best snow is Eastern L.I., coastal Connecticut as this storm is a classic after hitting the 40/70 BM, and, of course, coastal New England, depending on NE progression or not. If it rides the BM, Boston and interior NE get slammed. At the moment, it doesn't come together fast enough by a hair for PHILLY.

But, you never know...... based on 10 years living in NYC, snow, cold rain, snow, with the City on the light side. I'd head for New England for the weekend.

the 850 line never breaks north of Philly on the Euro solution...there appear to be some BL issues on the front end so there would probably be some light rain or mix initially but NW of 295/NJ Turnpike is below 0 at 850 through the storm.

I just want to say this. Keep your expectations in check. Its nice seeing the euro continue to trend towards a snowier solution, but their still is a lot of other models that aren't much of anything. I don't want this thread to turn into a weenie fest, cause if it does things will be delted and you will be 5ppd. I want good discussion in here like our forum has always had. Like HM said this is a very finicky situation, lots can go right or wrong. We are still 2.5 days away. If everything has trended favorable and its 24 hrs away and still looks good, then get the ky jelly out.

I just want to say this. Keep your expectations in check. Its nice seeing the euro continue to trend towards a snowier solution, but their still is a lot of other models that aren't much of anything. I don't want this thread to turn into a weenie fest, cause if it does things will be delted and you will be 5ppd. I want good discussion in here like our forum has always had. Like HM said this is a very finicky situation, lots can go right or wrong. We are still 2.5 days away. If everything has trended favorable and its 24 hrs away and still looks good, then get the ky jelly out.

It's indeed a very delicate situation.  That said, most of the models have the same vague idea as the euro, just that the euro has the phase quicker hence colder and wetter.  The elements that the euro is keying on to accomplish this are depicted inside of 72hrs, which is the euros deadly zone.  The euro has been showing its idea run after run while the other models seem to be playing catch up (though the 6z NAM is a mess).  Much reason to think that that the euro gets this closer to right IMHO.   

Lol. You said KY..............

Might need a bit of ky if you plan on negotiating both morning and afternoon commutes.

Does the Euro's amplification biases cause concern despite the 6 days of consistency? I suppose it's tendency to over amp phasing could just be carried from run to run?

I'm still not expecting much in the PHL metro area. Everything needs to go perfectly for us to get into it, even in the 4-6" range. LV, Pocs, and NW NJ are all in the game for a significant snow, though.

Does the Euro's amplification biases cause concern despite the 6 days of consistency? I suppose it's tendency to over amp phasing could just be carried from run to run?

The euro is the number 1 model in the world, but you shouldn't just throw everything else out. My point was, till everything comes to the euro's solution of if the euro trends towards the other models, view with caution. Remember with sandy, the euro was gung ho the whole time while everything else was out in left field. Everything then trended towards it. The gfs track of the low is oretty close to the euro, but the phase is later thus a warmer solution.

I think the RPM model is good with 24-36 hours and was one of the first models to go against that inverted trough fiasco in Boston a few weeks ago if I'm not mistaken. Interesting however it's not far off from the Euro. Even the today show is showing the EURO vs GFS.

Archived