• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 8th-9th Potential Significant Coastal Storm

dryslot

Not sure if it has been mentioned but WSR data was ingested for the 00Z suite from the Gulf:

NCEP Operational Status Message Wed Feb 6 03:14:21 2013 GMT
NOUS42 KWNO 060312ADMNFDSENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGENWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD0309Z WED FEB 06 2013THE 00Z GFS MODEL IS RUNNING ON TIME. OBSERVATIONS AVAILABLE FORGFS INGEST INCLUDED 13 ALASKAN...29 CANADIAN...70 CONUS...11MEXICAN...1 CARIBBEAN...AND 15 DROPSONDES FROM OVER THE GULF OFMEXICO COURTESY OF USAF RESERVE WINTER STORM RECONNAISSANCEAIRCRAFT.HANDEL/SDM/NCO/NCEP

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've said this quite a bit about the recent model runs, do you feel they're just not handling the system correctly?

The GFS could be handling it fine..it's possible with hge VVs with the CCB and the subsidence zone west until you hit the deformation zone. See Boxing day 2010. I really don't know, other than to point to the fact that we have several issues to work out..but many are fixated on snow amounts I guess.

GFS has an ugly dryslot and screw zone for a lot of us. A weird look.

When dealing with a system as intense and large as this looks to be there is almost certain to be a dry slot and this really needs to be kept in mind when making snowfall forecasts, especially for where the higher end totals are being forecasted for.  There also looks like there could be one area of major subsidence which will screw up some forecasts as well.  

GFS has an ugly dryslot and screw zone for a lot of us. A weird look.

Agreed. As much as I've favored the GFS this particular winter, it has not been consistent from run to run with regard to this weekend's setup. With that in mind, I think we're still a few runs away from confident with regard to what happens in our neck of the woods.

I think at this point the disjointed solutions are less and less likely since I think the last model that showed one was 06z yesterday... now it becomes more a question of when does it phase, and how does the precip set up on a large scale to determine who gets what (CCB, dry slot, deformation, etc.).

The realist in me would like to disregard the Euro because of how dreamy it is for my backyard, but it has been incredibly consistent from run to run.

At least we have a cold H in SE Canada...

The GFS could be handling it fine..it's possible with hge VVs with the CCB and the subsidence zone west until you hit the deformation zone. See Boxing day 2010. I really don't know, other than to point to the fact that we have several issues to work out..but many are fixated on snow amounts I guess.

Yeah hopefully as we go through today and tomorrow it starts becoming clearer how factors other than qpf play out.

Archived