Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 8th-9th Potential Significant Coastal Storm

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_R8xVtHAV1lc/TQktarpBmiI/AAAAAAAAMvE/DnKzJEVmLpw/s1600/snow+to+water+ratio+chart.jpg

Go ahead and call me a weenie.  But this is the first real snow storm where I have not lived in Brockton and have the possibility of ratios better than 10 or 12 to 1.

At the height of the storm many of us outside of 128 are sitting with forecasted temperatures in the low 20s (if not upper teens).   Which makes way for ratios much greater than 10 to 1.  

This is what I am excited about.  Give me half the Euro's output (on second thought; I'll take all of it) with temps in the low 20s.  

Here's Alb's map.  Seems a little ballsy this early.  I'm still not sold on a big hit here in ENY.  I'm thinking 4-8" with room to increase.  At first it looked like we'd get most of our snow from the primary and then inverted trough.  Now it looks like coastal.  Hopefully we don't get caught in between. 

post-1592-0-18877100-1360157929_thumb.pn

The Watches give me a lot of confidence for 8+, which would be great this  year.  Surprised to see them go up so early....I would've expected after 12Z came out.  We have an insurance policy for the northern stream and later phase possibilities up north.  Need a foot though to snowmobile, so that is the real goal here.

Does anyone remember such a huge storm projected but with such high risk due to the pattern?  I remember March 93 as a high confidence storm/ great setup from a week out.  Jan 96 was the perfect set up for Philly from almost a week and the issue was whether it would be 10-15 inches or 2'+.  This one feels like it is on a knife's edge and it could slip east unphased with only high end advisory amounts.

March 2001?

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/

Our two players with this system are now over the North American Continent.  

The southern piece of energy is the rather impressive looking stuff over Texas.

The northern piece is located near Northern Idaho and is just getting over the top of the Rockies now.

This mornings runs should be telling as both players should be sampled better now that they are over land.

Archived