Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 8th-9th Potential Significant Coastal Storm

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come to sne. This is where it's happening the best I think although parts of the NYC area may do quite well.

The NYC forum is going bonkers over the EURO, it's warning snow for the city on it. If you're going to travel though go to BOS area, we are going to get a nice storm, they are going to get crushed.

-skisheep

I agree. It's better to say this storm has potential of x"-y", but there still is a lot to be determined.

I don't even know if that's even worth it.

I'd probably say something like "it looks like this could be a really big storm with at least 6" and possibly much more if things come together right"

I don't even know if that's even worth it.

I'd probably say something like "it looks like this could be a really big storm with at least 6" and possibly much more if things come together right"

I agree. Harvey last night went "6-12+" while his less experienced counterpart on channel 7 went 1 foot+. Much easier for Harvey to verify.

I fear that too...

Mets, is there anything stopping this from trending south? The euro went a little south, and the nogaps is a whiff. Am I just being paranoid? ...seasonal trends are tough to break, will this one be no different?

I think the Euro dug the northern stream a little to far south which allowed the phase earlier so placed the qpf max further south, Its the only model that has done that, That northern s/w can only go so far south in this progression so it may make some more adjustments as we go along here, These subtle shifts are going to have large ramifications on qpf in some areas that are on the outer goal post

I fear that too...

Mets, is there anything stopping this from trending south? The euro went a little south, and the nogaps is a whiff. Am I just being paranoid? ...seasonal trends are tough to break, will this one be no different?

if this were 24 hours out I'd be more excited. Whiff east not completely off the table for W NE. 12z runs should be telling of possible E trend.

I'm looking at soundings for E MA and I think there is just as good of a chance this can flip to predominately rain, or at least for half of this event. Depends on where you look.

BOX mentioned rain in their P&C for my part of Boston. I'm assuming this is based on the GFS soundings, cause Euro looked plenty cold to me.

Hey guys last night JB riding the euro like a rented mule 1-2 ft nyc to boston right or wrong his train of thought is power system climatology and the date if you believe in karma same day as the lindsay storm .Plenty of cold air on tap system winds up pulls in -5 air lights out disruptive storm is an understatement.peace

I think, in general, numbers are being tossed out way too early. 

Yeah, no need to go hog-wild still.  4pm package today should really start to ramp up.  12z runs today should start narrowing down whether this scoots off east, does not phase perfectly or at all, or comes in with an all out blizzard. 

I'm beginning to lean towards the big dog scenario given the Euro's persistence over the past few days.

You sound like me now, mike.:). Always concerned for tgatand box did toss thatflag. Not as a whiff fir here but a sig downward shift on impact.

Heading back from CID this afternoon. Hope I can sneak peeks at the 12z run during my meetings. They'll be much mire entertaining.

I fear that too...

March 01

What a miserable bust that was. From 2-3 feet to several inches and tons of sleet. That OKX map looks a lot more conservative compared to what NYC stations are throwing out there. One of them, won't mention any names, put up the RPM snow map this morning that had 29 inches for NYC. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we won't get close to that.

I agree. Harvey last night went "6-12+" while his less experienced counterpart on channel 7 went 1 foot+. Much easier for Harvey to verify.

The problem, as always, is that once those epic amounts are out there people tend to latch onto them and don't pay attention to all the caveats and qualifiers. It's like the old Far Side cartoon about what dogs hear when we talk to them: "Blah blah blah blah FOOD blah blah blah blah WALK...." The winter storm speculation version is "Blah blah blah 1-2 FEET blah blah blah POSSIBLE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS blah blah...."

Archived