Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 8th-9th Potential Significant Coastal Storm

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Box throws the caution flag at gc about eastward shift possibility as possible kbash on things here. Nit sure why, but I don't think we'll see as much movement as we typically see this far out. Certainly don't expect any thing drastic in any case.

It could come a little more NW...the GFS did so last night.

I think the large QPF amounts could be the real deal...

Sometimes in like an ice event or something it's warranted..but this isn't marginal..This is a 12 inch+ snowstorm for all of SNE.. It makes them look very silly

lol.  Love the spirit, man.

Not to sound like that guy, but the past few days have had that feel like something big is coming. Light snows, and crisp cold a few days prior to a much larger coastal.

Box throws the caution flag at gc about eastward shift possibility as possible kbash on things here. Nit sure why, but I don't think we'll see as much movement as we typically see this far out. Certainly don't expect any thing drastic in any case.

Quick....someone put put the mpm qpf worry look.

That's my boy! Good move. Will there be taint at the height? Not per euro bit always a concern. A foot or more is growing in likelihood.

Is this similar to the December 2003 setup and event?

Is there a link that will provide what past snowfall was for Dec 2003?

There's still room for caution, that's for sure.  I'm holding off on calling for higher amounts until later today but there's no reason you can't throw up a watch to alert folks.  Having grown up here this happens all the time.  The border becomes a natural place to draw the line.  I'm used to being second rate and an after thought.

Well I'm glad they used the border. If we had a watch for just 3 counties in CT it would have been useless to show from a media perspective. 

BOS recorded 16.9 but most feel that was a bad measurement as most of the city and nearby had 20-30.

I was looking at pictures from the 78 Blizzard - how in the world did cars get trapped on 128?  I highly doubt that would ever happen today.

Looks like 6 inches was initially forecasted...

I was looking at pictures from the 78 Blizzard - how in the world did cars get trapped on 128? I highly doubt that would ever happen today.

Looks like 6 inches was initially forecasted...

Heavy snow and blowing combined with unexpected severity. One car gets such and its like a domino effect with backup. Plows can't get through.

Well I'm glad they used the border. If we had a watch for just 3 counties in CT it would have been useless to show from a media perspective. 

Bob sure didn't like it this morning. The bulk of the storm is still a 5th/6th period deal, so I was kind of surprised anyone had a watch for it this early. I figured they wouldn't fly until this afternoon's package.

Bob sure didn't like it this morning. The bulk of the storm is still a 5th/6th period deal, so I was kind of surprised anyone had a watch for it this early. I figured they wouldn't fly until this afternoon's package.

WeatherMA got the call right though I think - he thought they would be issued with the 4AM package...

Well you can totally ignore an out of state/market watch. 

If it was in-market I probably would have ignored it as well if it only included a couple counties.

WeatherMA got the call right though I think - he thought they would be issued with the 4AM package...

I think they can go as early as 5th period, so it's not unheard of. Across Connecticut we will have to deal with taint whether that's sleet or just plain rain, so I'm not surprised there are no watches here.

Heavy snow and blowing combined with unexpected severity. One car gets such and its like a domino effect with backup. Plows can't get through.

Recall what happened in Chicago a couple/few years back

I think they can go as early as 5th period, so it's not unheard of. Across coastal Connecticut we will have to deal with taint whether that's sleet or just plain rain, so I'm not surprised there are no watches here.

fyp, it's coming.  I like a general 12-18 E of the CT River with a jackpot of 20-22" somewhere in a ORH-BOS-TAN triangle.  Maybe 8-12 out toward home in NW CT and 10-14" in GC.

The Watches give me a lot of confidence for 8+, which would be great this  year.  Surprised to see them go up so early....I would've expected after 12Z came out.  We have an insurance policy for the northern stream and later phase possibilities up north.  Need a foot though to snowmobile, so that is the real goal here.

Does anyone remember such a huge storm projected but with such high risk due to the pattern?  I remember March 93 as a high confidence storm/ great setup from a week out.  Jan 96 was the perfect set up for Philly from almost a week and the issue was whether it would be 10-15 inches or 2'+.  This one feels like it is on a knife's edge and it could slip east unphased with only high end advisory amounts.

Archived