BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb Magic or Voodoo Hex? Obs and Banter

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem with snow is you generally need to live somewhere cold and boring to get it. No thanks. Only way I'd move for snow is if was to the Sierra or something and I doubt it would be just for snow.

Anyone who actually moves to somewhere cold and boring, just for snow, has a screw or two loose.  That said, I'm surprised Ji hasn't moved to Boston.  Or Buffalo.

Someone earlier mentioned that their wife might not like snow enough to move for it. It made me think of the Dec storm in 2009. My mother in law had come up for Christmas, I had been booted to the spare bedroom so my wife, mother in law, and dog could lay in the bed and watch tv all night. Well, I was so excited that I slept until about 5 that morning, watched it snow for about 3 hours, and then decided I'd check on the rest of the family. When I went in my wife asked if it snowed. I said its awesome and it's pouring. I was so excited I was like a little kid. She rolled over and went back to sleep. Didn't even look out the window.

You think I'm moving for snow?

Someone earlier mentioned that their wife might not like snow enough to move for it. It made me think of the Dec storm in 2009. My mother in law had come up for Christmas, I had been booted to the spare bedroom so my wife, mother in law, and dog could lay in the bed and watch tv all night. Well, I was so excited that I slept until about 5 that morning, watched it snow for about 3 hours, and then decided I'd check on the rest of the family. When I went in my wife asked if it snowed. I said its awesome and it's pouring. I was so excited I was like a little kid. She rolled over and went back to sleep. Didn't even look out the window.

You think I'm moving for snow?

There was one dude from Long Island (don't recall his screen name) that relocated his family to northern Michigan in a lake effect area. He seemed to really like it there for a couple of years, posted pics of the snow all around his property each winter, loved the area he lived in for other reasons too beside the snow. Then he said he was moving to South Carolina this was only a few years later....LOL. I guess the snow honeymoon was short lived. Not sure if he ever made it to Americanwx.

My God, we have somebody here determined to make sure that we have the least fun forum on the whole board. Barney Fife with a gun full of bullets.

i dont always agree with the deletions but not sure why people can't banter in this thread either.

i dont always agree with the deletions but not sure why people can't banter in this thread either.

I could understand if there's an imminent threat or a REAL storm possibility, but we've not had much of those. We have a pretty regular crowd here so what does it hurt to have a couple of one liners here and there. I mean we are in that thread for two reasons, not one. One is obviously to discuss potential threats, and the other is to have a community discussion. Part of that feeling of community is the back and forth. It's often more appropriate to respond with "banter" in that thread because that's where it fits. It would lose a lot if you had to run over to the banter thread to post it. You do it, Randy does it, heck, we ALL do it. It's what makes it fun to be here. Even I can look at a model and tell the chance for a snow event Friday doesn't look good (but not impossible). I don't need a weather board and mets to tell me that. It's the community and it's personalities that bring me here. If we lose that, then we've lost a big portion of what makes AmWx great. Just one mans opinion.

PhineasC

Whereas 3-4 hours west it snows at the drop of a hat. Just wait for the first big spring paste bomb in the mountains of MD/WV and head out for ii.

I suppose that works for some but the reality of being in a place like WV would degrade the experience. You can't be certain if its snowfall or a load of percocets that fell out of a truck on the ridgeline above.

I was lucky to not have as many famine-like winters in my youth around here, but I also spent a week each year in Vermont, which always satisfied any snow jones. Now, even the old reliable areas aren't a sure thing every winter.

I could understand if there's an imminent threat or a REAL storm possibility, but we've not had much of those. We have a pretty regular crowd here so what does it hurt to have a couple of one liners here and there. I mean we are in that thread for two reasons, not one. One is obviously to discuss potential threats, and the other is to have a community discussion. Part of that feeling of community is the back and forth. It's often more appropriate to respond with "banter" in that thread because that's where it fits. It would lose a lot if you had to run over to the banter thread to post it. You do it, Randy does it, heck, we ALL do it. It's what makes it fun to be here. Even I can look at a model and tell the chance for a snow event Friday doesn't look good (but not impossible). I don't need a weather board and mets to tell me that. It's the community and it's personalities that bring me here. If we lose that, then we've lost a big portion of what makes AmWx great. Just one mans opinion.

I'm more with you than not. It certainly should be held to everyone if it's going to be held to anyone. I dunno..

LOL, just kidding around. Enjoy sweating 6 months of the year.

Enjoy being so damn LAZY and out of shape that Massachusetts got 30 plus inches of snow then you guys were forced to BEG the national guard to dig your sorry asses out of that snow. 

Has weatherwiz managed to dig out his entire driveway yet? Or is he still begging for the national guard to dig it out for him?

Quit bitchin' and start pitchin'. Get yer azz off of the couch and that jelly doughnut out of your fat face and get yer azz out there and shovel that snow. Get a Jebman shovel and dig massive amounts of snow. Pile it on the north side of sunlight blocking objects. Pile it 35 to 55 feet high. When all the townspeople are crying with embarrassment - you'll know you're doing your job.

You'd think that in southern new england, where they get snow, you'd think they'd know how to deal with it. Mayor Barry did a far better job here in DC with snow removal than you people could manage in a five inch flizzard.

But no, you guys cried and cried about how much snow you had to remove. You bawled like a baby when your snowblower blew a gasket and you were forced to shovel it. All of your advanced New England snow removal equipment could not save your sorry azzes.

I laughed and laughed when first responders and plows were ordered to get off the roads in that storm!! If that happened in North Carolina thats one thing --- But in southern New England??????? Show some pride and New England resolve.

Don't make me have to come up there and show New Englanders how to remove 38 inches of snow the Jebman way.

It has basically been snowing non stop here in Columbus since I got here on Monday.....and hardly any of it is sticking...it's like 20 degrees with snow in the air and it's not sticking...what kind of suck place is this....it's like Chinese water torture

Back in 2000 my xwife had a job interview in Pittsburg and I remember a similar experience. it was snowing on and off all the time, snow in the grass, everything else wet. Asking locals then they said, that was normal winter weather for them. cloudy dreary much of the year and hot humid summers... my X was like that,, a cold teaser that never amounted to anything... :P

X wife aside visiting other cities is fun, can make home look pretty appealing or make you want to move...

It is long past the time to cease resuscitation efforts on this winter and let it die.  Call it.

Sure. And tracker already did. But the problem is we haven't exactly transitioned into spring-like weather, have we? It remains stubbornly cool if not cold, its simply cruel at this point. I look at the long ranges not for snowstorms at this point, but for warm weather. And that hasn't exactly been modeled either. This blows.

No, certainly doesn't look warm for at least the first 7-10 days of March, and probably the first 2 weeks.  

The 3 airports are all about -1F for February to date...looks like we'll go down to the wire as far as BN or AN for this month...I think we probably end up just slightly below normal (maybe -0.2 - -0.5?).  

Archived