BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb Magic or Voodoo Hex? Obs and Banter

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow to rain sucks, particularly just a couple inches before the changeover. That's what I'd say.

And then people would respond by saying that without slop we'd average virtually nothing, blah, blah, blah. But who cares? Snow to rain still sucks, IMO. And I don't apologize for feeling that way. I also don't care about snow enough to let it bother me.

Embrace the kiddo! It takes away that pain

^ full of bother

lol

Som eof the russians thought it was the end of the world.  I'll take rain any day over an meteorite exploding over my house. 

No worries...the meteorite would be modeled to explode over your house only to trend North....plus there would probably be a sneaky asteroid showing up over the Great Lakes to mess it up

i was just about to troll him on twitter but i abstained

He's absolutely awful.  He deserves incessant, endless, nonstop, ruthless trolling.  For his climate nonsense as much as his weather "forecasts".  Anyway...best get my shovel prepared for the 6" of snow he says I'm getting tonight.  

Forecast verification must have no place in his job security at WxBell.  

He's absolutely awful.  He deserves incessant, endless, nonstop, ruthless trolling.  For his climate nonsense as much as his weather "forecasts".  Anyway...best get my shovel prepared for the 6" of snow he says I'm getting tonight.  

its his company... of course it doesn't... all that matters is if he can drum up enough attention to get followers/clients... who seem to not give a **** about his verification.

i don't follow him but i checked his rantings this morning. barf.

Some say that these are the types of posts we should enjoy coming into a thread and reading

I've been saying it for a while now ...the 2" streak ends Saturday night.

Sometimes you have to lose the battle (tonight) to win the war (tomorrow).

Ironically, the warmer and more wonderful the weather today ...the more likely we get the coastal tomorrow.

Yes, several days before the V-Day storm I said 2-4, but was concerned about the temps. And the day before I punted because of temps. But also at that time I said this coastal storm would come back into play because I did not think this trough would dig so far south and east as to push it OTS. Again the trend is moving this thing back into play. It could still fail, but in my mind it is one of the best chances in a long time.

Allow some "banter" in the forecast threads...people complain about all the clutter.

Delete all "banter" in the forecast threads...people complain about how rigid the moderating is.  

I'm all ears for someone to define the ideal.  

One suggestion - don't allow those who don't know what they are talking about to continue to make forecasts (read: wishcasts)

The above examples are not banter, it's wishcasting to the fullest with no meteorology to back it up.

It's not just n00b weenies who wishcast.  When those n00b weenies complain (and believe me they do) about other people's wishcasting being "allowed" and there's being deleted, they have a bit of a point.  We don't require or offer a meteorology pop quiz to new poster to see if their posts make the cut.  

It's not just n00b weenies who wishcast.  When those n00b weenies complain (and believe me they do) about other people's wishcasting being "allowed" and there's being deleted, they have a bit of a point.  We don't require or offer a meteorology pop quiz to new poster to see if their posts make the cut.  

Met pop quiz is a good idea. Me like.

Then I guess get use to others complaining all the time :)

Two years ago a concerted effort was made to keep threat threads on point and it worked to a degree. granted the last two winters have sucked azz but relaxing the effort just to keep threads going is going to come back and bite in the butt more when a legit threat happens.

Just look at the 13th snow event. 44 pages for a rain/snow changer where at most there was 2". We've had bigger snows with less pages. This weekends threat thread is already halfway there.

Allow some "banter" in the forecast threads...people complain about all the clutter.

Delete all "banter" in the forecast threads...people complain about how rigid the moderating is.  

I'm all ears for someone to define the ideal.  

Ask amwx_adam how he moderates, get a view of how he goes about picking and choosing which posts should be deleted and use that as a baseline. He does a really good job moderating the forum (along with the other moderators there). Their discussion is a lot cleaner and more productive, which I and others have been striving for in this sub-forum. This sub-forum will naturally have more stuff to wade through even after moderation just because of the higher number of extremely active posters, but achieving something similar to what the Philly forum is would be a good goal to set.

Most people who complain about the moderation in the real discussion threads (those whose posts are being deleted) are mostly those who don't realize how much they're mucking up those threads. Let them know that they are in fact the ones that are in the wrong and should try to change their posting habits.

Unfortunately for you 3, the "ayes" for some banter in the forecast/storm/discussion thread have generally outvoted you and have higher-ranking allies.  My more draconian style of previous weeks met with great wailing and gnashing of teeth.  But if there are some really bad posts that I or Midlo miss, feel free to report them.  

Ask amwx_adam how he moderates, get a view of how he goes about picking and choosing which posts should be deleted and use that as a baseline. He does a really good job moderating the forum (along with the other moderators there). Their discussion is a lot cleaner and more productive, which I and others have been striving for in this sub-forum. This sub-forum will naturally have more stuff to wade through even after moderation just because of the higher number of extremely active posters, but achieving something similar to what the Philly forum is would be a good goal to set.

Most people who complain about the moderation in the real discussion threads (those whose posts are being deleted) are mostly those who don't realize how much they're mucking up those threads. Let them know that they are in fact the ones that are in the wrong and should try to change their posting habits.

Or when all else fails they can just take their football and go home like you did.

Archived