• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb Magic or Voodoo Hex? Obs and Banter

Bob Chill

Amazingly, we probably will wipe out the entire negative departure built up over the first week of the month by tomorrow.  We should go back below by the weekend, but Feb is not a lock negative month right now.

we rock at warmth

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody likes whiny people who think they're cool by whining because everyone else is whining. Punt the winter, say your piece, and for God sakes stfu.

I don't mind that people are punting. I just don't get why everyone needs to announce that they are punting. Punt in your own head since the grand announcement doesn't do anything for the discussion quality in the threads.

Can we get a running total on who is punting now? Past punts don't count.

I haven't punted so much as I have just stopped caring. Today was beautiful outside. Whatever happens, happens. I am excited for more permanent warmth moving forward, though. I think this is the healthiest mindset when you live where we live and 3 out of 4 winters are awful.

Same day every year for me. 3/10. I'm not the type to throw out climo because I'm frustrated over things I can't control.

Even post 3/10 I'll keep an eye out for a history maker. Tracking is fun for regardless. At least for winter wx.

feb 30. almost there on the models.

Same day every year for me. 3/10. I'm not the type to throw out climo because I'm frustrated over things I can't control.

Even post 3/10 I'll keep an eye out for a history maker. Tracking is fun for regardless. At least for winter wx.

As the year has worn on, I've begun to adopt a new philosophy.

It seems to me that looking beyond about 3 days has way more down side than up. One, it makes the winter months fly by, two, it is frustrating as this storm has shown, three, with only a few exceptions, the models have demonstrated very little skill at 5+. I really think next year, I'm going to discipline myself to only look to about three days. I think the season will be much more enjoyable that way. It's been awfully painful doing it this way.

I don't really get all the doom and gloom around here.  I pretty much only come around here in the winters to read (sometimes join) the analysis on winter storms since I'm always hoping for a nice big MECS/HECS to get some snow and a few days off work (let's be honest, folks).  However, if it doesn't snow, it's not the end of the world, but it certainly does sting that other areas around us seem to get something and we don't.  I was all in for this V-day storm, but after getting an early taste of spring and seeing we were down to tracking a possible 0.5" of slop, I'm all in for spring now.  Not whining at all; just saying I'm ready for spring.  There's a big difference.

As the year has worn on, I've begun to adopt a new philosophy.

It seems to me that looking beyond about 3 days has way more down side than up. One, it makes the winter months fly by, two, it is frustrating as this storm has shown, three, with only a few exceptions, the models have demonstrated very little skill at 5+. I really think next year, I'm going to discipline myself to only look to about three days. I think the season will be much more enjoyable that way. It's been awfully painful doing it this way.

I adopted this same policy the past couple of winters.  I follow the long range to gauge the potential pattern, but don't invest any emotion outside of 72 hours.  Seen too many storm threats dissolve in those last 72 hours.  That's frustrating enough without believing in 5-7 day progs.

We had a snow contest once at work and a guy actually picked Feb 30th. 

i don't really believe in real march snow in the city... so i just extend feb for the 09 event. :P

we've got about 10 days for a big event close to 95 imo.  20ish for a mod one?

Archived