Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
PUNTING NEMO

Ji

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm grinning at reading the NJ-ites over in the NYC forum tracking the sleet/snow line literally block-by-block, intersection-by-intersection, minute-by-minute. ("It was snow up until the Dunkin Donuts right at the township line, but then it switched back over to sleet through town until I hit the East Backwater/Seaweed Rd. intersection, then it started mixing again.")

Of course, I vaguely remember feverishly tracking such a line back in the March 1993 storm, when we had forecasted snow totals upwards of 1.5 feet in Alexandria, but ended up with less than a foot of frozen slop consisting mostly of sleet in that particular "storm of the century."

Oh, BTW, we have blazing sun here now, at about 41*.

I'm grinning at reading the NJ-ites over in the NYC forum tracking the sleet/snow line literally block-by-block, intersection-by-intersection, minute-by-minute. ("It was snow up until the Dunkin Donuts right at the township line, but then it switched back over to sleet through town until I hit the East Backwater/Seaweed Rd. intersection, then it started mixing again.")

Of course, I vaguely remember feverishly tracking such a line back in the March 1993 storm, when we had forecasted snow totals upwards of 1.5 feet in Alexandria, but ended up with less than a foot of frozen slop consisting mostly of sleet in that particular "storm of the century."

Oh, BTW, we have blazing sun here now, at about 41*.

Dude, we would be just as bad down here. Ji agonized over every inch he didn't get for snowageddon (although at one time during a huge band he said it was the happiest moment of his life, and he's a father!!!), and when it was over he was already looking for the next KU on the models.

Dude, we would be just as bad down here. Ji agonized over every inch he didn't get for snowageddon (although at one time during a huge band he said it was the happiest moment of his life, and he's a father!!!), and when it was over he was already looking for the next KU on the models.

Of course we would, which is why Schadenfreude comes into play.

We had 1" total of snow sleet and a light accretion of freezing rain.  Never had plain rain as the temp was still 32 when the precip cutoff around 8AM. 

So the storm looked like this for Gainesville:

1:15-2:15 AM - Heavy Snow Temp went from 35 down to 33- lost a good amount due to melting (probably 2" / hr rate)

2:15AM - Sleet started to mix in and I went to bed - temp 33

Light Sleet/ZR mix overnight

8AM ended as ZR - temp 32. School was delayed 2 hours.

.33 total precip on the rain guage

You're right, of course. But I've finally gotten used to the let-downs, it's just a part of living in this region. And I have to admit -- love watching the snow happen, hate cleaning it up at this age. I think shoveling the three huge storms in the winter of 2010 was the genesis of my nagging back pain/issues.

Archived