• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
PUNTING NEMO

Ji

Yes, it's trending wetter. It basically never gets my 850's above 0, and the 18z NAM keeps all levels here below freezing through tomorrow morning. Of course, as is normal, precip is the issue.

I still don't think the DC BALT corridor is out of at least a little fun. I've noticed that ne wind starting to blow, and I think you guys will get good precip. I don't know what the temps are down there, but I don't think all hope is lost.

the northern vort on the RAP is hideous

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?model=ruc&area=namer&param=500_vort_ht&cycle=21ℑ=ruc%2F21%2Fruc_namer_018_500_vort_ht.gif

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no there are other things that lined up wrong also...thus we did bad even for Nina climo.  PDO phase didn't help at all and even for a nina the STJ has been dead on arrival for a long time.  Add in some unfavorable happenings with the PV location and you have a perfect storm of ugly for snow in the CONUS.  SIgns are we are starting to come out of it slowly so... hope springs eternal. 

Agreed. I think the wasted arctic air was the tipping point. That signaled the largest shift in winter patterns in a long long time. And we're still riding the effects of it. 

I do think nina's are not good for snow though so I wasn't trying to say that but they don't shut us out like this. Not at  all. I'm sure this has happened before multiple times in the long history of climo but it can't be that common. 

but spring will be sprung before our hope arrives

We can still get a significant snow through the first third of March.  After that it becomes very unlikely.  I know the combination of having some very warm early springs of recent and the total crap pattern of the last 2 years makes it seem hopeless.  In my opinion we have an equal chance right now of getting to the end of this winter without a 2" plus event as we have of getting 2 such events before its over.  Neither would surprise me a bit. 

Seems to me that the first levels to warm have to be upstairs and the RAP seems to be slow to do that. It's cold east of the mountains , and if we get a ne wind to boot its going to be hard to warm up downstairs

We can still get a significant snow through the first third of March.  After that it becomes very unlikely.  I know the combination of having some very warm early springs of recent and the total crap pattern of the last 2 years makes it seem hopeless.  In my opinion we have an equal chance right now of getting to the end of this winter without a 2" plus event as we have of getting 2 such events before its over.  Neither would surprise me a bit. 

I know it's just me, but once March comes, unless we can get something really big, the 2" type stuff doesn't excite me

I'm really ready for spring and warmth

If you want a big year enso is a factor, not the only one but 6 of our 10 snowiest seasons since 1950 have been ninos, only one nina.  Still only 50% of ninos yield more snow than average but our average is 19.6 or something like that, about 4 inches more than the normal.  When we go big in nino years, we usually go way big. 

I agree 100% Wes and I corrected myself with my response to psu.  But going so warm and snowless for so long is odd. Expecting 50% of climo in a Nina is totally normal imo but not expecting 10-20% in back to back years. This year is a nina hangover too. It's neutral. NH circulation as a whole has been against us. 

Ian, looking at that radar, even without the northern branch system we would not be in great shape.  Our best snows usually come when a nice juicy STJ system has precip streaming into WV at that point in its evolution.  We then only need a nice solid NE progression from there, and not some crasy phase and due north jog.  Even without a northern stream problem we would need a really fast phase and turn north from where we are right now to be good.  Of course without the northern stream this system might be completely different by now so its a moot point. 

Tom Tasselmeyer is probably the best met in Baltimore.  But, WBAL has been off on snowfall forecasts since 2010-2011, not sure why. 

Too much RPM, lol. They really should just go with NWS/HPC forecasts honestly. I haven't watched local TV weather personalities for 10 years. For a weather hobbyist, they serve no purpose, and tend to be annoying.

High still putting a noticeable ne breeze down this way.  I don't think that northwest low is going to be able to warm up any levels and any warm up, if any, likely comes from the coastal.  In this case I am Not worried about lack of percip in KY/WV as the coastal system simply is not oriented that way.

A couple of the Baltimore TV mets with their in house models are insistent on some wrap around snow into Baltimore (perhaps 2"), even a bit south of there on Fri night into Sat morning.  Contoured more to the North and East of Balto....Not saying it will happen but with a powerful storm you can't just rule it out.  

Archived