• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
PUNTING NEMO

Ji

I don't understand the NWS.  Why is there a WWA for a mixed event with temps in the mid-30s, yet they didn't issue any out here during 'clipperfest'?  I had an inch out here on Sunday with temps well below freezing - as such the roads were well-covered - yet no advisory.  I don't recall one issued on Jan 25th either (another, even colder, 1" clipper).  Not understanding the 'threat' that this measely event would cause.

My guess would be higher precip amounts with this one as opposed to those moisture starved clippers

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I chased the Vday 2007 storm in northern PA, and a few others... I really thought about this one but just too many things going on right now. I am more free the next 3 weekend so I really hope another opportunity comes up. For me it is about a combination of snowfall rates and total accumulation. 12" can be worth it if it all falls in 6 hours. Not too thrilled with the WV upslope events, yea they get 30" but it takes 72 hours to get there. Its just 3 days of light to moderate snowfall. I like dynamic systems. Hopefully we get something in the mid atlantic area in the next Month. I like the pattern, just need some luck.

I pretty much agree....I don't need to see impact....the impact on 40N will be nothing even remotely comparable to the impact here in 2010 in a city at 200'....they have too many resources....I just want to experience sick rates and low viz....And I'd rather not do that in Paramus Mall

im tempted

In my single days, I'd be tempted to go. Only been to Boston once. But now that I'm married, and married to a southern belle who loves warm weather more than anything, snow-chasing for me has become only a dream. What's funny is she's open to a vacation home in the mountains. lol  I guess I could convince her to spend a romantic snow-filled weekend up there if we bought one.

I don't understand the NWS. Why is there a WWA for a mixed event with temps in the mid-30s, yet they didn't issue any out here during 'clipperfest'? I had an inch out here on Sunday with temps well below freezing - as such the roads were well-covered - yet no advisory. I don't recall one issued on Jan 25th either (another, even colder, 1" clipper). Not understanding the 'threat' that this measely event would cause.

I mean they kind of have to with the 1% chance this thing has of phasing early and hitting us with a bit. It ain't gonna happen but since there's the slightest of chances they're just covering their butts I guess.

I don't know if it matters as far as any flakes go, but it seems, at least for the moment, that the southern area is winning the shoving contest.  That northern batch doesn't seem to be making much progress.

Everything is going as modeled. The shield to the south is going to slowly march ever so close and then start shifting towards the coast. It's going to look really good for a while until the fantasy slips away and reality sets in. 

I'd like to see the GFS though the Euro has crushed the other guidance so far.....I'm mostly just making excuses....part of me just doesnt want to chase snow in a heavily populated area of 40N

yeah.. im not sure i'd actually go or just saying so since i cant. new sref mean is 30" there tho. heh. i'd be more inclined to get to a blizzard on the cape.. her parents have a good place to stay, but that's a pain to get to and the cape seems to have accum problems on this one.

I'd go if Melissa wouldn't strangle me. I tried to trick her into going for the weekend but she already knew it was supposed to snow. Those HPC probs mixed with guidance seem to point to a top 5 if not all time even.

I jokingly mentioned road tripping to my wife just this afternoon and she said sure. I have family in NW Ma but that puts me out of the epic snow. You mind watching my 3 kids?

yeah.. im not sure i'd actually go or just saying so since i cant. new sref mean is 30" there tho. heh. i'd be more inclined to get to a blizzard on the cape.. her parents have a good place to stay, but that's a pain to get to and the cape seems to have accum problems on this one.

it makes the most sense to go to the precip max since that is where the heaviest rates will be....and that isnt necessarily that convenient...I also want to be near a door...I'd rather not be on the 6th floor of a hotel where I have to elevator down every time I want to see the snow

I pretty much agree....I don't need to see impact....the impact on 40N will be nothing even remotely comparable to the impact here in 2010 in a city at 200'....they have too many resources....I just want to experience sick rates and low viz....And I'd rather not do that in Paramus Mall

12/26/2010 in NYC had an equal impact to 2/5-6/2010 in DC... I was in each region for both, so I would know... this looks to be comparable to 12/2010. I offered you guys a slumber party in Harlem! Road closures are irrelevant if you don't drive anyways. 

12/26/2010 in NYC had an equal impact to 2/5-6/2010 in DC... I was in each region for both, so I would know... this looks to be comparable to 12/2010. I offered you guys a slumber party in Harlem! Road closures are irrelevant if you don't drive anyways.

if you say so....were you in DC proper for 2/5/10?...I kind of doubt 23" falling on top of 6-10" of snowcover had a similar impact as 20" of fairly short duration snow on no snowcover....I got 250% of Manhattan's snow during that period...not saying it wasnt hight impact...but i doubt it

Everything is going as modeled. The shield to the south is going to slowly march ever so close and then start shifting towards the coast. It's going to look really good for a while until the fantasy slips away and reality sets in.

Probably, but there are no guarantees. Even if we did get the high end of possible precip, there's only a chance that it would be frozen though I suspect back here it would be if we were in heavier precip.

if you say so....were you in DC proper for 2/5/10?...I kind of doubt 23" falling on top of 6-10" of snowcover had a similar impact as 20" of fairly short duration snow on no snowcover....I got 250% of Manhattan's snow during that period...not saying it wasnt hight impact...but i doubt it

I was in McLean for 2/5, had 26-27". 

NYC had more than 20" in 12/26/2010, it was definitely on-par with 2/5-6 2010 in DC. It was ~24" citywide, but the major difference was drifting--cars were totally buried, so it kind of made up for the lack of existing snowpack. I wouldn't say there was 6-10" on the ground prior to 2/5, either (in DC)... 

After 12/26, the impacts in NYC were insane. I've never seen the city shut down before, although we have had Sandy since. I remember walking up Columbus and there were no cars... just abandoned taxis in the road, and this was the day after the storm. 

I live on the 3rd floor & no elevator, btw ;)

I was in McLean for 2/5, had 26-27".

NYC had more than 20" in 12/26/2010, it was definitely on-par with 2/5-6 2010 in DC. It was ~24" citywide, but the major difference was drifting--cars were totally buried, so it kind of made up for the lack of existing snowpack. I wouldn't say there was 6-10" on the ground prior to 2/5, either (in DC)...

After 12/26, the impacts in NYC were insane. I've never seen the city shut down before, although we have had Sandy since. I remember walking up Columbus and there were no cars... just abandoned taxis in the road, and this was the day after the storm.

I live on the 3rd floor & no elevator, btw ;)

cool...It would have been a great storm to experience...comparing city to city would make more sense of course...but I wasnt there

In my single days, I'd be tempted to go. Only been to Boston once. But now that I'm married, and married to a southern belle who loves warm weather more than anything, snow-chasing for me has become only a dream. What's funny is she's open to a vacation home in the mountains. lol  I guess I could convince her to spend a romantic snow-filled weekend up there if we bought one.

Good luck with that marriage.. regret sucks

I arrived in NYC just 24 hours after that storm for New Years week that winter, and the impacts were minor by then.  Some bus routes were still diverted but that was about it.  I thought it was amazing how little 2 feet of snow seemed to affect the NYC metro.  I was mostly doing touristy things so perhaps that changed the perspective but only 24 hours after a 2 foot snow in DC proper things are usually still a mess. 

Archived