Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
PUNTING NEMO

Ji

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup...9z plumes are better for Baltimore (DC still not up).  Mean is 0.21" snow, but of course, that is biased by outliers (high and low). Here's the link if people want to look:  http://eyewall.met.psu.edu/rich/gefs/Plumes.html

I'm still naturally suspicious of wraparound.  It's not impossible, but it's pretty rare and busts often.  That said, places farther south from SNE getting good snow (i.e., NYC) is a better sign of us getting pity flakes.  

Yup...9z plumes are better for Baltimore (DC still not up). Mean is 0.21" snow, but of course, that is biased by outliers (high and low). Here's the link if people want to look: http://eyewall.met.psu.edu/rich/gefs/Plumes.html

I'm still naturally suspicious of wraparound. It's not impossible, but it's pretty rare and busts often. That said, places farther south from SNE getting good snow (i.e., NYC) is a better sign of us getting pity flakes.

IE why I think some flakes are possible. I mean I don't know about measurable, but good to see a trend for the better for anyone who hasn't punted (my man WWxluvr :)

I hope so but it's hard to say at this point. Punting it is foolish though. The only difference with 6z is it doesn't leave any ul energy behind next week's cutter. Trough has energy but with a pos tilt it just washes together. A zillion things can change and it's far from a non-event unless you want to take lr surface panels verbatim. That has such a history of working well for forecasting though. 

We know the ending to this story.

BUT, things can't go against us forever.

Yup...9z plumes are better for Baltimore (DC still not up).  Mean is 0.21" snow, but of course, that is biased by outliers (high and low). Here's the link if people want to look:  http://eyewall.met.psu.edu/rich/gefs/Plumes.html

I'm still naturally suspicious of wraparound.  It's not impossible, but it's pretty rare and busts often.  That said, places farther south from SNE getting good snow (i.e., NYC) is a better sign of us getting pity flakes.  

Looks to me like the boundary layer still is a problem if you switch to the temp plumes.  Anythings possible but the probability for getting accumulating snow is still probabilit around 5%.   I sure wouldn't forecast it. Northeast of baltimore they have a better chance at wrap around.  We're going to need a monumental temp profile bust by the NAM and GFS as the NAM has the 950 temp over plus 3C by  09Z.    I think guys our near Fredreick have a good chance at starting as sleet at onset but don't see that lasting. 

Looks to me like the boundary layer still is a problem if you switch to the temp plumes.  Anythings possible but the probability for getting accumulating snow is still probabilit around 5%.   I sure wouldn't forecast it. Northeast of baltimore they have a better chance at wrap around.  We're going to need a monumental temp profile bust by the NAM and GFS as the NAM has the 950 temp over plus 3C by  09Z.    I think guys our near Fredreick have a good chance at starting as sleet at onset but don't see that lasting. 

Agree Wes.  NE of Baltimore towards Philly has a shot.  Those of us farther SW still have to dream.  

Thank goodness for sub-forums.  We can talk about future fantasy snow here, while others can talk about historic real snow. :cry:

MDstorm

Edit:  I think this says it all.....over 1000 people on this weather board now, but a mere 20-30 in this sub-forum.  Next week this will just be a bad memory and at least I won't be stuck in my house for days and my back won't be sore and my work won't be disrupted and ......(add in more rationaliizations).

Why is this payback? We're talking about NE, whose annual SN is 3-4 times ours. This should be expected.

I don't know that fretting about Boston or S. NH or western Mass is appropriate, but if NYC gets hit again, that will be a bunch of major storms that have hit them and missed us since 2/10/10. 

Just checking Central Park (slightly higher ave. than IAD)

20"+ in late Feb '10

20" Boxing Day '10

Almost 20" from our Commutageddon in late Jan '11

And while the city didn't cash in, Oct. '11 was big nearby

I don't know that fretting about Boston or S. NH or western Mass is appropriate, but if NYC gets hit again, that will be a bunch of major storms that have hit them and missed us since 2/10/10. 

Just checking Central Park (slightly higher ave. than IAD)

20"+ in late Feb '10

20" Boxing Day '10

Almost 20" from our Commutageddon in late Jan '11

And while the city didn't cash in, Oct. '11 was big nearby

I don't think 2/10 really belongs here considering that it was a snowy winter for the entire Mid-Atlantic, so it was likely for them to get in a storm we didn't after they missed out on 2/5-6. It's kind of like how we don't complain about missing out on 12/18-20/95 considering what happened the rest of the winter.

I gotta say, I am getting effin' tired of the "this is payback for '09/'10 stuff". We were historically effed in the years prior to that with not much snow from 06 - 09, and we have been similar since that one six week run of goodness in 09/10.

Generally, not to sugar coat, this is supreme bull**** in terms of being shafted, and it kinda pisses me off. Yes, I can't control the weather. Whatever. But its crap to think that years of **** systems are some kind of cosmic payback for one decent snowfall period. We should be doing better than this. For years now.

I gotta say, I am getting effin' tired of the "this is payback for '09/'10 stuff". We were historically effed in the years prior to that with not much snow from 06 - 09, and we have been similar since that one six week run of goodness in 09/10.

Generally, not to sugar coat, this is supreme bull**** in terms of being shafted, and it kinda pisses me off. Yes, I can't control the weather. Whatever. But its crap to think that years of **** systems are some kind of cosmic payback for one decent snowfall period. We should be doing better than this. For years now.

lol

Archived