• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Central PA - February 2013

I'm hoping we end up being in the game at least some but I just can't get too enthused about watching NYC cash in on another storm. Call it what you want, but that's just how I feel right now.

The thing that I really love is I remember about this time last week there was dismay over the euro weeklies "canceling winter" mid Feb on and just the general grief about nothing working out all winter and whatnot. And BANG, some folks in SNE are staring 24-30+" in the face inside of 60 hours out of a pattern that would seemingly be a jesus miracle if it pulled off a run of the mill coastal storm. Only in the northeast. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New England but I know what he means. We struggle at getting the home run storm here(North Central Pa), but living here we should know that and take whatever falls. Also, before I get called negative that is not. We get a lot of moderate storms and I am very thankful for that.We clearly just dont specialize in getting huge events...climatologically.

Well said...North central Pa sits in a nice spot that while it doesn't bear the brunt often, its usually in the game...and while those to the northeast look to be in the bullseye, I'd rather be in a spot that is less on the edge and at least guaranteed something.  Next week sounds like one that may be like the "good ole days".  Sure hope so.

Nut

New England but I know what he means. We struggle at getting the home run storm here(North Central Pa), but living here we should know that and take whatever falls. Also, before I get called negative that is not. We get a lot of moderate storms and I am very thankful for that.We clearly just dont specialize in getting huge events...climatologically.

Just remember that while we all miss the ridiculous stuff you still are likely the best positioned regular in our subforum to at least pull off several inches with this event.

Although I guess if you go with Zack, you will really be in good shape haha. I still would choose Worcester or the Boston suburbs in between cuz it is further northeast and more likely to get lingering heavy deform longer as the low winds up. At the same time it is inland enough that it will be a cold storm and likely >10:1 ratios. 

Williamsport is in a bad spot, worse than UNV. We do get some coastals that miss you.

Speaking of coastals, they never used to be this common.

Sorry guys, my pissy litle rant is over lol.

Hopefully we get something out of the favorable period second half of Feb.

Seriously, though, if I were in NYC I'd be a bit nervous. UNV has about .10 less than LGA on the latest NAM. GFS has them getting a lot of rain. These types of storms always totally **** someone, could be them.

In terms of our area NAM continues to have all rain as ptype all the way up IPT's fanny, which is probably too warm. New 21z SREF plumes looked better QPF and snow wise. IPT's 21 member mean is about 5-6 inches with a 15 inch max. The rest of the area has a mean of generally about 3-4 inches. Like the NAM they still have members bumping up plain rain probs in places where I would bet against it. 

This is new source for SREF data I got from others posting it. Here is State College's for example. 

The NAM is so warm it gives parts of CT a foot in sleet. It is an absolutely God-awful model.

lol with QPF at nearly 1" for 2 consecutive 6 hour intervals for that area I think precip rates will be heavy enough to keep it all snow inland... coastal areas may see some issues, especially if it were to track a little west...

Boston QPF on 0z NAM is sitting at roughly 3.35"... insane if somewhere near there ends up all snow at ratios of just 10:1 let alone anything greater

HWO just posted for the CTP counties without a headline. 

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL IMPACT THE REGION LATE THURSDAY NIGHTINTO FRIDAY...BRINGING THE POTENTIAL FOR MIXED PRECIPITATION ANDLIGHT SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS OVER SOUTHERN AREAS AND LIGHT TOMODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS THE NORTH. AT THIS TIME... THEGREATEST RISK OF SIGNIFICANT SNOW IS OVER THE NORTH CENTRALMOUNTAINS...WHILE FREEZING RAIN IS MORE LIKELY OVER SOUTH CENTRALPENNSYLVANIA. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS GREATER THAN 6 INCHES APPEARUNLIKELY AT THIS TIME OVER CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...BUT THIS MAYCHANGE WITH LATER FORECASTS AS THE SYSTEM DEVELOPS...SO CHECK THEFORECAST REGULARLY OVER THE NEXT 24 TO 36 HOURS.

Archived