BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Jan 30 Rain Event- Toasty temps Mt Tolland blows away

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were. It's legit. The magnitude of damage shoes it, you don't have this amount if damage to healthy trees from 50 mph like you said we had

You probably gusted to 50 knots off and on for an hour.

The more rural towns east of the river were hit the hardest with damage along with coastal areas. It's pretty common for these types of events though this one managed to overperform thanks to strong isallobaric component and a 100+ knot LLJ that actually verified and wasn't progged a day out. 

We were. It's legit. The magnitude of damage shoes it, you don't have this amount if damage to healthy trees from 50 mph like you said we had

You would be surprised how much damage winds in the 50-55mph range can do. 65mph is a lot stronger than you think it is.

I'm not shocked the eastern MAss met jockeys are calling me a liar. They do it with everything. I think most here know I'm honest and sincere with my obs. 50/55 mph gusts at least here cause very little damage on leafless trees.its 60 and above when we get damage like what we had last nite

The highest gust ob I found from Tolland/Willington/Coventry was 46 mph.  Take it for what you will.

For those with home weather stations measuring winds, keep in mind those are instantaneous speeds, so your highest gust will read higher than an official station that uses a 2-minute average for the sustained speed and a 5-second average or sample for gusts. That's one reason why home stations could measure higher wind gusts in addition to the usual exposure and siting issues.

im done, when your friends call you a liar there's no point in continuing, I made it all up

Nobody called you liar. Over-estimating wind speeds and deliberately lying about them are two different things. Wind speed is the easiest thign to over estimate. If you don't have a legit reading of mid 60s gusts, then you are estimating.

For those with home weather stations measuring winds, keep in mind those are instantaneous speeds, so your highest gust will read higher than an official station that uses a 2-minute average for the sustained speed and a 5-second average or sample for gusts. That's one reason why home stations could measure higher wind gusts in addition to the usual exposure and siting issues.

Good point.  I've always thought my station has been low for winds and a little high for precip.  It sits about 15' off the ground and pretty much out in the open with the closest tree about 25-30' away, which I am sure must break the wind...

Fair point however generally the home stations are much less exposed to wind than the official stations which tends to balance out the sample time difference you mention. 

You probably gusted to 50 knots off and on for an hour.

The more rural towns east of the river were hit the hardest with damage along with coastal areas. It's pretty common for these types of events though this one managed to overperform thanks to strong isallobaric component and a 100+ knot LLJ that actually verified and wasn't progged a day out. 

IJD did hit 58 in a well protected Valley. I have no doubt he was over 60

Fair point however generally the home stations are much less exposed to wind than the official stations which tends to balance out the sample time difference you mention. 

Yeah the ASOS stations are generally exposed and have their wind sensor 30 feet up. Most home stations fail to do the latter, so I have found most mesonet stations report lower winds than the ASOS stations.

Lots of new mesonet reports in the PNS, multiple reports over 60, Kev is probably correct he was in the 60 MPH range.

Well he said mid 60s...I think that sounds high. That is getting close to hurricane force. Its not impossible, but 50s to near 60 sounds more reasonable.

Further south is where the winds probably gusted that high.

I took a quick drive down to the Willimantic River here in Coventry and I was suprised to find a bit of an ice jam at Merrow Meadow. The river is still partially frozen with ice chunks flowing downstream. Snow is all gone here except for snowplow piles. There is no real damage here, just the usual high wind small branches, twigs and pine needle sort of mess on the roads.

MWR.jpg
MWR1.jpg

Hey Steve, where was that 58 mph report at IJD?

All I could find was this

Max Gust Speed 53 mph

This ob had IJD gusting to 50 knots

KIJD 310852Z AUTO 20027G46KT 8SM -RA OVC014 16/13 A2918 RMK AO2 PK WND 19050/0814 SLP882 P0003 60006

Most of their gusts were in the 45 knot range, but they maxed out at 50 kts which is 58mph.

This ob had IJD gusting to 50 knots

KIJD 310852Z AUTO 20027G46KT 8SM -RA OVC014 16/13 A2918 RMK AO2 PK WND 19050/0814 SLP882 P0003 60006

Most of their gusts were in the 45 knot range, but they maxed out at 50 kts which is 58mph.

Nice I missed that.  Kevin probably did hit 60-65 in that case.  Nice!  I think he has decent southern exposure too.

Nice I missed that.  Kevin probably did hit 60-65 in that case.  Nice!  I think he has decent southern exposure too.

Well IJD is SE of hime where it was more unstable, and he lives on the northern side of the hill which is why he keeps his snow pack better. Mid 60s sounds high to me...but I said it wasn't impossible. You would like to see some reports of winds that high somewhere within 25 miles, and there really aren't any.

Yet like all mountain reports they will spin it like today is the best day of skiing ever. I always get a laugh reading Sunday River's reports when conditions are awful. I guess you gotta market it not matter.

I believe that Powderfreak does Stowe's snow reports and I'm pretty sure that won't be spinning this much.  Go back and read his posts, he knew what they were in for. 

Archived