• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Freezing Rain 1/27/13 Advisories Up for Baltimore Metro

I-83 BLIZZARD

We all know that the cold will want to stay around longer than modeled. Dont think I will make it above freezing before noon. Roads have been heavily treated though so I dont expect problems on the main roads. But some of the shaded back roads out here are still ice/snow covered. They could be a real mess in the morning.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all know that the cold will want to stay around longer than modeled. Dont think I will make it above freezing before noon. Roads have been heavily treated though so I dont expect problems on the main roads. But some of the shaded back roads out here are still ice/snow covered. They could be a real mess in the morning.

the models are still barely printing out much precip. i mean yeah it only take a little but still a minor event even if it never gets above freezing.

We are, but thats because people can't drive... and because we're wimpy too.

well, any zr is a problem for roads if they aren't treated but that's pretty much the only problem .12" of freezing rain is going to cause.

well, any zr is a problem for roads if they aren't treated but that's pretty much the only problem .12" of freezing rain is going to cause.

Oh I know what you mean, theres literally no way it could do more than that, no matter if we stay colder longer and never get above freezing during precip. Qpf is just not that high... But it is 26.5 here so we will likely see most of the morning precip as ice.

Lolz did you ever think maybe its because we have so much damn traffic and the cars are so close to each other, that all it takes is some accidents to turn the roads into nightmares.

the road issue is legit.. even treated roads are problematic in spots like bridges etc. but everyone always freaks out more than necessary over ice.

of course living in the city and following the fed i usually feel like a total dope not going to work when nothing is going on here.. but whatever. bad day for it either way. our event is going to be fooked.

I have lived in this region all my life. Traffic only continues to grow with congestion and gridlock being unbearable on a given warm and rainy day. Toss in a little ice or snow and a 30 or 40 minute commute can be a 3 hour one way mess riddled with countless accidents. Objectivly, closures or lengthy delays seem ridiculous for minor events, but considering the nature and inherent gridlock, as well as the relative infrequent rates at whixh we have been experiencing winter weather, erring on the side of delay or closure seems prudent.

the road issue is legit.. even treated roads are problematic in spots like bridges etc. but everyone always freaks out more than necessary over ice.

Agreed totally about the freaking out. I do not think though the Government's decision was a bad one. You are taking something like 250,000 people off of the roads during rush hour by opening late so I think that is a smart move.

Agreed totally about the freaking out. I do not think though the Government's decision was a bad one. You are taking something like 250,000 people off of the roads during rush hour by opening late so I think that is a smart move.

I'm fine with their decision other than not sure why it came after 10 p.m. WWAs have been up most of the day. A large number of businesses and orgs follow the feds. I'm probably being selfish so now I'll still have to do things early when I could have slept in otherwise. :P

Even here I think sometimes we lack perspective that .1-.2" of ice doesn't really do anything other than look pretty.

I'm fine with their decision other than not sure why it came after 10 p.m. WWAs have been up most of the day. A large number of businesses and orgs follow the feds. I'm probably being selfish so now I'll still have to do things early when I could have slept in otherwise. :P

Even here I think sometimes we lack perspective that .1-.2" of ice doesn't really do anything other than look pretty.

Expecting some good photos of it!

Cold rain it is. Got down to 29* around 9 and has now risen to 32.7*. I suppose a little bit of icing on elevated surfaces and grassy areas is possible where they still may be below freezing IMBY. Higher elevations around the valley are still in the upper 20's .. Precip is just starting.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0055.html

post-397-0-37048400-1359357082_thumb.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0055   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1122 PM CST SUN JAN 27 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF THE CNTRL APPALACHIANS TO LK ERIE      CONCERNING...FREEZING RAIN       VALID 280522Z - 280945Z      SUMMARY...LIGHT SNOW/SLEET WILL TRANSITION TO FREEZING RAIN WITH   RATES OF 0.02 TO 0.07 IN/HR EXPECTED OVERNIGHT.      DISCUSSION...BROAD SWATH OF LIGHT MIXED PRECIPITATION SHOULD   CONTINUE TO PROGRESS EWD OVERNIGHT WITHIN A FAVORABLE CORRIDOR OF   LOW-LEVEL WARM THETA-E ADVECTION DOWNSTREAM OF A 60 KT LLJ OVER THE   MIDWEST. THIS JET WILL AID IN THE TRANSPORT OF A PRONOUNCED   ABOVE-FREEZING WARM NOSE SAMPLED BY EVENING RAOBS/AMDAR ATOP A   NEAR-SURFACE COLD DOME AS WET-BULB EFFECTS HELP MAINTAIN SURFACE   TEMPERATURES HOLDING STEADY TO SLOWLY RISING JUST BELOW FREEZING. AS   FULL-COLUMN SATURATION OCCURS...INITIAL LIGHT SNOW/SLEET WILL   TRANSITION OVER TO A PERIOD OF PREDOMINANTLY FREEZING RAIN BY   08-10Z.      ..GRAMS.. 01/28/2013         ATTN...WFO...BUF...CTP...LWX...RNK...PBZ...RLX...CLE...

Archived