• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

Agreed, suppression worries me, I don't like the fact that the GFS went back to that idea for 2 consecutive runs now.

The models are swinging back to more of a Miller B type scenario and the GFS is struggling putting the pieces of energy together, but given the overall synoptic setup the Euro/GFS are currently trying to show this is going to be an I-95 East event with more snow for LI and ern CT if this trend is correct.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main reason at this point is that the models still haven't settled down yet on a single solution. The Euro has been

shifting run to run while all the other guidance is more of a northern development before the secondary pops. It's

a very low probability forecast at this point trying to guess amounts.

Correct. I'd ride the Euro and GGEM ensembles right now as a compromise. I just hope the GFS doesn't score a coup.

The main reason at this point is that the models still haven't settled down yet on a single solution. The Euro has been

shifting run to run while all the other guidance is more of a northern development before the secondary pops. It's 

a very low probability forecast at this point trying to guess amounts.

Disagree about the Euro shifting around. It's been very consistent since the 12z run on the 18th showing this system......FWIW. This leads to more confidence, IMO and we've seen the GFS and the hide and seek scenario too many times in the past to take it very seriously.

The models are swinging back to more of a Miller B type scenario and the GFS is struggling putting the pieces of energy together, but given the overall synoptic setup the Euro/GFS are currently trying to show this is going to be an I-95 East event with more snow for LI and ern CT if this trend is correct.

So basically from NYC to Boston?

The million dollar question is if the Euro is done coming NW with the low?

I am never crazy about being in the jackpot more than 96 hrs out.

12z

attachicon.gif Screen shot 2013-01-22 at 7.03.00 AM.png

0z

attachicon.gif Screen shot 2013-01-22 at 7.02.23 AM.png

This system is already etched for me . I said yesterday its a BM storm , jut hav to figure out intensity . The difference between UPTON and TAUTON is the Euro prints out 12 plus accorss LI BUT 24 in Boston , The " risk " is this doesnt BOMB til its as little late , and thats the main risk I see rigth now , NOT RAIN , NOT A SHUNT . but where does is close , and how fast is it ..

This system is already etched for me . I said yesterday its a BM storm , jut hav to figure out intensity . The difference between UPTON and TAUTON is the Euro prints out 12 plus accorss LI BUT 24 in Boston , The " risk " is this doesnt BOMB til its as little late , and thats the main risk I see rigth now , NOT RAIN , NOT A SHUNT . but where does is close , and how fast is it ..

Coming NW doesn't mean rain in this situation. It means that we still get snow but the main low rides through the Ohio Valley

and the secondary redevelops further north tapping less moisture with more modest snow amounts than the Euro is showing.

Coming NW doesn't mean rain in this situation. It means that we still get snow but the main low rides through the Ohio Valley

and the secondary redevelops further north tapping less moisture with more modest snow amounts than the Euro is showing.

The RAIN wasnt directed too you . Just was general speak .

But i AGREE , I thnk we both said last Thrs this was coming under - I said yest Im pretty sure its to the BM , but yes THE RISK is it starts bombing south of ISLIP not the Delmarva

But i AGREE , I thnk we both said last Thrs this was coming under - I said yest Im pretty sure its to the BM , but yes THE RISK is it starts bombing south of ISLIP not the Delmarva

no the real risk is that this doesnt bomb at all and never phases or phases way east of the area.

no the real risk is that this doesnt bomb at all and never phases or phases way east of the area.

Possible not likely , This storm will be off the east coast in a big way FRI , how we are impacted , will have more to do with if the error more or less north not east .

It's going to be a cold track, but the snowfall amounts are a low confidence forecast at this point

until the models come into better agreement and settle down. It's really tough to give a first call

past 60 hrs when it comes to snowfall around here.

It's going to be a cold track, but the snowfall amounts are a low confidence forecast at this point

until the models come into better agreement and settle down. It's really tough to give a first call

past 60 hrs when it comes to snowfall around here.

I think Friday AM we r in the teens before any precip breaks out - last nite in COLTS NECK we got 2 inches squeezed out of .10 qpf - so the ratios are goin to be there in this air mass.

This is no WHIFF , is it 4 or 14 ? agree too early to even stab at it , but thats the model diff right now .

Guest Patrick

You may be right about it not being a whiff for the city proper/LI, but it looks like the western burbs may get whiffed... the gradient that shows up in the 12z suite will be telling.  Snowgoose has the right idea with the I95 East likely hit (assuming the secondary pops in time).

I think Friday AM we r in the teens before any precip breaks out - last nite in COLTS NECK we got 2 inches squeezed out of .10 qpf - so the ratios are goin to be there in this air mass.
This is no WHIFF , is it 4 or 14 ? agree too early to even stab at it , but thats the model diff right now .

Crazy differences in wording....Upton says moderate snowstorm possible while Taunton says blockbuster storm possible. I never knew that 6-12" is considered "moderate" for our area. It should be worded as "significant."

Wait a sec.. That Taunton wording, as quoted below, isnt a forecast; its a description of the 0z ECMWF, which they are discounting in their forecast, going instead with the more modest Ecmwf mean:

The European model (ecmwf) is most amplified with the middle level trough and has rapidly deepening low tracking near Cape Cod which would bring a blockbuster snowstorm to southern New England with mix/change to rain immediate coast. The GFS is least amplified and most progressive with weaker low tracking near the benchmark with result being only a light snow event. The eventual outcome will likely fall in between these 2 solutions which European model (ecmwf) ensemble mean suggests showing a modest storm tracking near the benchmark...stronger than GFS but weaker than op European model (ecmwf). We leaned toward the European model (ecmwf) ensemble mean for this storm. Other than this storm...

However I do agree Upton seems to be playing down the 0z Euro, hardly giving it a mention.. Although they do mention the possibility of warning criteria snows to at least the coast, depending on track.

I've seen straight 10-1 snow with temperatures in the teens before. It all depends what the mid-levels have where the snowflakes form. You want -12 to -18C at around 700mb for optimal ratios. A lot of times in these SWFE type events, warming in the mid levels can make the flake quality deteriorate, even if you never change over.

Biggest concern is like the last storm, original primary weakens and the secondary/coastal bombs too late for us...and we are stuck in the middle, that is how you verify with only a 2-4" storm...when the potential is there for much more.

2-4 inches would likely be generous if that scenario occurs here...the advantage this time is the 2nd low likely pops more south so it gives a slightly better chance.

UPTON is smart too wait . day 4 ..- and you wana see more agreement before you go all in ,

I dont think theres good agreement on the models until 12z tomorrow . Lots of detes to sort in our locales .

If we wound up with 6 out of this , after ths winter , we would all take it in a heart beat

Hate to say it but whenever the gfs or euro is on to a bad trend, we tend to hold onto the ones that DON'T show that trend. GFS showed suppressed and we dismiss it. NAM shows it and we still dismiss it for now. Then other models will show it and we'll say "uh oh"....I'd give it time but the trend is no really our friend here. It has trended south every run almost every model even those that we are good

The NAM is a solid 4 inch storm with temps in the low 20`s . We have been shut out on the coast since Nov , there is nothing to complain if that verified , considering where we have been .

last week you guys were crying its goin to the lakes - the last 2 days its oh my god its too strong , its gona rain . now its DAM look at this its gona miss south .

Do you know how absurd some of this baby $%^&* is ....

Pick a side , make a call .

Yeah, and its not really that amped here which has me worried slightly.  Its basically between the Euro and GFS more or less.

Yeah, it looks like the euro was too amplified compared to all the other guidance. Storms

that get going over the SE like the euro was showing generally have the 50/50 further

west than it had.

Archived