Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 25-26 Storm Potential

powderfreak

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give him credit for going out on the limb like that. My forecast numbers are far more conservative lol. I just don't see that type of event happening.

Like Will said, there is no 2009-2010 block wall preventing this from coming north.  However, the fast flow may prevent this from amplifying in time.

My call would be a glancing blow (couple inches CC) and that's about it.  Go with the seasonal winter x2 trend.  Also, slowly aborting this winter...will wait until 2/10ish before committing (or de-comitting myself)

Harv at 11pm has Boston to just about south Worcester back through Kevin and into SE NY, looping down around to about Plymouth in the 1-3" range (includes Providence etc). 2-6" over Cape Cod, New Bedford, Fall River, SE CT and Long Island.

EDIT forgot about the rest of you, 0-2" from Portland to Albany to Scranton and Allentown. Nothing NW of that.

Like Will said, there is no 2009-2010 block wall preventing this from coming north.  However, the fast flow may prevent this from amplifying in time.

My call would be a glancing blow (couple inches CC) and that's about it.  Go with the seasonal winter x2 trend.  Also, slowly aborting this winter...will wait until 2/10ish before committing (or de-comitting myself)

Mainly zonal flow is killing this thing right now. I also think if temps weren't as cold we would see a further north track. I'm thinking C-2" for my area as of right now too (just south of Boston).

It's all the same as before with these runs being presented... the flow is too f fast guys.   If for some reason the Euro and the Uk somehow overcome the speed in the flow, fine, but I'm getting increasingly suspicious that GW during a cold polar cycle is just a giant shear fest.    

wtf -

So pretty much if this EURO comes back as a big miss and is worse then the previous run, we should just throw this out?

I never want to say throw out, but it makes the likelihood of an event that warrants large amounts of interest less. 00Z GFS wasn't what 18Z GFS was. I expect the Euro to do the same in regards to trending.

It's all the same as before with these runs being presented... the flow is too f fast guys.   If for some reason the Euro and the Uk somehow overcome the speed in the flow, fine, but I'm getting increasingly suspicious that GW during a cold polar cycle is just a giant shear fest.    

wtf -

why would gw cause warmer than normal conditions in the subtropics and colder than normal conditions in Canada and the mid-latitudes?

UKMET I believe is way east too.  I haven't followed it that closely, but it looks like a 1010mb low way out in the atlantic SE/E of the BM by 12z Saturday.

has the 2nd contour over SE New England for QPF and measurable over most.  But the serious stuff is way SE this run.

Looks like it's every model aside of the NAM went the other way.  Here's the NOGAPs.

ngp10.prp.060.namer.gif

why would gw cause warmer than normal conditions in the subtropics and colder than normal conditions in Canada and the mid-latitudes?

Ah, it's just an idea dude.   First of all, I did not say GW caused colder than normal conditions N - though I understand why you went there. After all, they are part of the Globe - word. But no.  This is a cold solar cycle because the hundreds of years super-position of the solar cycles, combined with the multi-decadal EPO/AO/NAO negative "part" of the oscillatory curve.  

Cause?  Hey man, give a guess.  It's just the linear interpretation there, and anyone in 101 climo knows that.  Point is, the probability is sloped toward polar giving up the goods. But the GW part of that means that ambient heat is in surplus.  So what happens when cold delivery attempts to supplant the warmth?   BIG GRADIENT. 

Archived