BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Discussion

BullCityWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprisingly, the models did very well with Atlanta. Nearly all of them shown NO snow for the whole Atlanta area and they were right. None of the metro area including the northern metros got snow and models ere showing did days prior to the event. I'm not even sure extreme northern Georgia gotten any snow. It all dried up by the time it got here lol. Oh well. I hope the NC folks are enjoying this quick hitting snow, especially those under the more intense rates.

I'm prayin this wasn't our only chance this winter.

Power was out earlier, so I was out and about driving in the rain, not expecting a changeover until 10 or 11. I went into B&N at Southpoint when it was raining with maybe a sleet pellet or two. 20 minutes later, I came out and it was snowing.

Radar's a little scary with that back edge, but it may pivot away in time and backbuilding might save us. I worry, though, if the precip rates drop what will happen.

Power was out earlier, so I was out and about driving in the rain, not expecting a changeover until 10 or 11. I went into B&N at Southpoint when it was raining with maybe a sleet pellet or two. 20 minutes later, I came out and it was snowing.

Radar's a little scary with that back edge, but it may pivot away in time and backbuilding might save us. I worry, though, if the precip rates drop what will happen.

It's very scary, but I think that dry slot will stay to the south and east like it's supposed to.  Especially in Durham you should be ok.

I really think we've got a shot at thundersnow sometime between 10 and midnight.  

Some serious banded precip on radar southwest of Charlotte...temps are a debacle down this way though.

Grit I gotta say you nailed this storm it seems.  I'm still having to get use to this Triangle of (Snow) Death down here after living "North of I-40" for most of my life, especially now that I don't live in Huntersville anymore.  Blustery and soaked in rain at 9 p.m. still, just waiting on something more than a few sleet pellets and small flakes to mix in.

Well...  I saw some snow for about half an hour here in S Asheville but nothing came of it.  Radar returns looking rather bleak from here on out and there are cracks of sky appearing.  My little corner of the world was blanked on the late December event so like some others here, working on about 24 or so months.  On to the next one!

Grit I gotta say you nailed this storm it seems.  I'm still having to get use to this Triangle of (Snow) Death down here after living "North of I-40" for most of my life, especially now that I don't live in Huntersville anymore.  Blustery and soaked in rain at 9 p.m. still, just waiting on something more than a few sleet pellets and small flakes to mix in.

Appreciate it.  I once read in a GSP Discussion that it is very difficult for it to snow with surface wet bulb temperatures above 35 F, regardless of the temperatures aloft.  NAM and GFS MOS were spot on with this, while the raw NAM values were too cold...I've seen MOS be very good with surface temperatures over the years.  Wet bulb in Charlotte at 9PM was 37 F...I've got a rain/snow mix right now...probably 50/50

Archived